buying property of pensioner at todays prices

The french have this system and I've been loooking at it for a while, its a pretty good asset for your super I reckon. I just need to learn french and have a very good understanding of the french market before I make the leap.

google "French Viager", this site is pretty good

http://www.paris-viager.com/

Essentially you purchase the property at a steep discount sometimes 30% of the purchase cost. They get to live in the property for the rest of their lives and you pay them a monthly rent indexed to inflation

The purchase cost and monthly rent are determined by how old they are and what you can negotiate.

If they die before their life expectancy you get a bargin if they live too long it ends up costing you more.

Ther french do it because of inheritance taxes mainly.

Do the french have reverse mortgages?

Through the CBA reverse mortgage being 85+ she would be able to have access to 40% of the value of her property to a maximum of $425,000

This is the problem:

What happens if she needs to be moved to a high care facility and needs the value of her house to pay a bond?

There is an assumption that the little old lady will live on for 4 or 5 years or so and then conveniently die in her sleep or playing bingo or something like that. The last years of people's lives aren't always as neat as that.

The french have this system and I've been loooking at it for a while, its a pretty good asset for your super I reckon. I just need to learn french and have a very good understanding of the french market before I make the leap.

google "French Viager", this site is pretty good

http://www.paris-viager.com/

Essentially you purchase the property at a steep discount sometimes 30% of the purchase cost. They get to live in the property for the rest of their lives and you pay them a monthly rent indexed to inflation

The purchase cost and monthly rent are determined by how old they are and what you can negotiate.

If they die before their life expectancy you get a bargin if they live too long it ends up costing you more.

Ther french do it because of inheritance taxes mainly.

Gee, 800 properties offered for viager just around Paris!

Viager appears quite popular with sellers who pocket a large down payment to use it as early inheritance for their families while beating the inheritance tax. The annuity is used to supplement their pension.

Current market seems to indicate there is more supply than demand.

Different environment here.

There is a whole area of law relating to 'elder abuse' - younger taking advantage of the elderly, whether intention or not.

As Paul mentioned there sorts of things can be unwound or disputed before or after death. For example in NSW if someone disposed of property for under market value and then carks it within 3 years then the property could still be deemed part of the estate of the deceased if someone makes a claim against the estate.

There are also equitable principles of unconsionability and undue influence. A court court rule she didn't understand the transaction and that the property is still hers with you holding it as trustee for her.

So if you are going to do such a transaction you must make sure she seeks independant legal advice and everything is clearly documented and recorded.

I think there are some things that you haven't considered...

1. assumption that she will live for 5years -- what happens if she lives for 10, or 15?
2. others have raised the issue that she may need to move into an assisted living program and need her house for bond-- yes this isn't your concern right now, however, if she had family they would go through these scenarios with her. they would (possibly) also know her medical history better than you do and be able to talk to her about that.
3. does taking a cash payment from you affect her pension?

these are things that family members (if she had them) may talk to her about and as long as you make her an offer having discussed these (and any other issues that may come up) she can make an informed decision. if you don't talk to her about these issues then you are using your relationship with her to take advantage of her/not being transparent about how this might affect her immediately or down the track.

Thanks for some to the helpful info and opinions and the others who only see what they want to see or read. Sorry my proposed offer would be a 100k or so under what she might get on the open market and some one else kicking her out of her home. As I said I can't get another loan now for some time so around 300 is all I can offer and free rent for as long as she wants
All seems to hard obviously hopefully she gets market value when she has passed away and pass it on to government. In meantime she can get used to the run down house and busted false teeth then. Not interestedin logging on to listen to people who know half a story and jump on their high horses on half baked info. As I have said she has no family as in nooo family.

House prices in street are around 700k.

She is in her early nineties. Was considering offering her a couple hundred thousand in cash for house and I will fix replace or renovate whatever she wants?

This is from your first post. What are we meant to think?

Not interestedin logging on to listen to people who know half a story and jump on their high horses on half baked info. As I have said she has no family as in nooo family.

I wouldn't take it personally if I were you. If you post on an internet forum, you need to expect good and bad feedback and there will always be someone who gets the wrong end of the stick.

I think a valid concern has been raised in that if she needs to move into high care, she may need funds for a deposit. That is something to consider.

FWIW, I don't think that it is a bad idea at all as long as you consider some of the things that can go wrong, work through these issues with her and both make an informed decision.

Sorry my proposed offer would be a 100k or so under what she might get on the open market and some one else kicking her out of her home. As I said I ca.

100K is not a very high margin depending on a high number of variables
or maybe the Lady is just happy with her plateau of contentment,i find it hard to understand that she does not have private or government home help in her life at that stage of her life..

yes there is help for home maintence/repairs and certainly dental care. sadly this vulnerable woman maybe isolated from assistance? a good neighbour aware of her plight would hopefully point her in the right direction.

this targeting of frail elderly maybe more common than is known. handing over the deeds for promised repairs and free rent for life. no safeguards for the person, no security of tenure once deeds handed over.

thanks for highlighting this matter. really hope in some way the elderly lady can be protected.

Thanks for some to the helpful info and opinions and the others who only see what they want to see or read. Sorry my proposed offer would be a 100k or so under what she might get on the open market and some one else kicking her out of her home. As I said I can't get another loan now for some time so around 300 is all I can offer and free rent for as long as she wants
All seems to hard obviously hopefully she gets market value when she has passed away and pass it on to government. In meantime she can get used to the run down house and busted false teeth then. Not interestedin logging on to listen to people who know half a story and jump on their high horses on half baked info. As I have said she has no family as in nooo family.

Didn't read my post which said she can't get 40% LVR?

Back