Byron Bay visit

A girlfriend and I are attending a conference in Byron Bay next February. In order to arrive at the conference for commencement time, we have to fly out the day before from Perth.

Our dilemma with flights are three options.
Fly to Melbourne, next day Ballina.

Fly to Sydney, next day Ballina.

Fly to Ballina day before.

I ask as from googling there just doesn't seem much to see and do, shops, to warrant to fly direct to Ballina. All I can see are beaches. Enlighten me, am I wrong?

My girlfriend and I are very adapt at fitting maximum sight seeing, shopping, viewing places of interest in minimum time.

I am thinking flying into Melbourne, staying in airport hotel, going in to melbourne for shopping, eating, but if you think staying somewhere in Byron Bay the day before is worth it, then we will do that. Thanks everyone.

February in Byron the water and weather will still be very nice. If your staying out of school holidays it won't be crazy busy. Not sure what your into but Byron has plenty of bars, live music, restaurants and caf?s to experience. Couldn't comment on the shopping as we mostly just drink beer and surf when we are there. If you haven't been to Byron before then I would defiantly recommend a visit, it is one of Australia's most popular holiday destinations for a reason. Wategos on the beach is a good place to stay but is pricey

http://raesonwategos.com

Would probably skip Ballina nothing much exciting happens there IMO

Byron's fabulous. I would just go spend the extra day there. Accom prices 1/2 as soon as school holidays are over, so you shouldn't have too many issues. By the time you mess around with flights / transport to/from the airport etc I'd skip the stop in Melbourne or Sydney. Usually some good sales on in Feb in Byron too ;)

Nice hotel, expensive room prices, lol.

We are not really beach people or party animals these days,for the night life. I know it is a popular holiday attraction for the beaches. Wondering if this is more to Byron then this. More day attractions we would be interested in.

Sales, now you've got me interested, what sort of things would you be alluding to there?

Go to Wategos and the lighthouse via the walking trail circuit (don?t walk up/down the roads like many tourists). The best things in Byron tend to be free.

If you really just want to shop then Byron is probably not the pick tbh. There are some great shops with some really lovely clothes etc but it's all over in a couple of blocks, it's just a village. Bangalow, as mentioned above is also great. Byron is just stunning, the scenery & surrounds are amazing.

Up early, walk up to the light house, head down into town for breakfast, wander through the shops, jump in the car & go for a drive land in Bangalow for a late lunch, wander through the shops & head back to your accom, chill out over a glass of wine & a fabulous dinner

edit as you wish :)

Fly direct to Coolangatta - greater choice of flights (hourly from Sydney/Melb). Only an hours drive to Byron. Make use of your time on the GC looking for a new IP or three in the Coolangatta hinterland.

I can't believe no one has mentioned the big prawn! It's a must for Ballina!

If you're a nature person there's some nice walks and waterfalls you can visit.

That's a hard one! I love visiting Melbourne and Byron!
Either way they are both good. I love just relaxing, eating, shopping enjoying the views at both. Prob never bought anything at Byron but nice to look at shops. I do recall buying an amethyst necklace for a friend. I think Byron would be a bit more relaxing then a day at Melbourne. Both interesting places.

Last edited:
Fly direct to Coolangatta - greater choice of flights (hourly from Sydney/Melb). Only an hours drive to Byron. Make use of your time on the GC looking for a new IP or three in the Coolangatta hinterland.

Or fly from Perth to Brisbane. 2 hour drive to Byron. By the time you transit in Sydney or Melbourne it may be faster and probably a lot cheaper fares.

Or fly from Perth to Brisbane. 2 hour drive to Byron. By the time you transit in Sydney or Melbourne it may be faster and probably a lot cheaper fares.

I was going to say the same thing. Forget multiple flights, it's a very easy drive from Brisbane airport on the freeway.

A girlfriend and I are attending a conference in Byron Bay next February. In order to arrive at the conference for commencement time, we have to fly out the day before from Perth.

Our dilemma with flights are three options.
Fly to Melbourne, next day Ballina.

Fly to Sydney, next day Ballina.

Fly to Ballina day before.

I ask as from googling there just doesn't seem much to see and do, shops, to warrant to fly direct to Ballina. All I can see are beaches. Enlighten me, am I wrong?

My girlfriend and I are very adapt at fitting maximum sight seeing, shopping, viewing places of interest in minimum time.

I am thinking flying into Melbourne, staying in airport hotel, going in to melbourne for shopping, eating, but if you think staying somewhere in Byron Bay the day before is worth it, then we will do that. Thanks everyone.
Maybe just fly into the Gold-Coast then drive down to Bryon,btw a lot of backpackers target Bryon can be a bit wild at night,,then after the conference hire a car ,they have the sunday markets at the Channon it's like going back into the 1970's,then Nimbin is a must see even when last week they sealed off the entire town on a search warrant for ever property within the 3klm's on the centre radius of the main street then have a look at UKI,and MT Warning one of the best drive in Australia..
http://www.bigvolcano.com.au/natural/natparks.htm

http://thechannonmarket.org.au/

http://www.visitnsw.com/destinations/north-coast/the-tweed-area/uki

Last edited:
If you haven't been to Byron - why not just go and have a look. It's only one day of your life to experience something new, so why not.

I haven't been to Byron for 15 years - but would love to go back for a longer stay

We drove there from Coolangatta a few years ago. Easy drive and about an hour.

From Perth; fly direct to Brissy and drive down; nice drive as well.

We stayed in the caravan park (can't think of the name of it) on the beach - cabin No.4....5 metres from the sand.

A little ways out from the town main drag.

Check it out.

If it's possible, I would be flying directly from Perth to the Gold Coast and driving the easy 1hr (at most) trip south to Byron. It's straight down the highway, 110km for most of it.

People either love or hate Byron Bay. More conservative folk can find the town grotty and are appalled by all the drugged-out feral types and drunks in the parks. Others love the 'alternate' vibe and the fact that there isn't the same old chain stores/eateries that you see in every other town in Australia. It's very different. Of course, it would be a person impossible to please who didn't agree that Byron's beaches are some of THE best in the world. I have never known better.

Someone mentioned Bangalow and I'll second it. Gorgeous, quaint little village. It's about 15km inland from Byron and well worth a visit - would be a nice place to have lunch if you have a free day.

Thank you everyone, knew I would get good advice and opinions.

Alright I am convinced. Lol, now have to talk my girlfriend in to maybe a few more days either side of the conference. It will depend on her work obligations as to whether we can fit more days in. I now agree maybe a flight in to Brisbane and hiring a car would be a good option.

Discussed it with some of my work colleagues who think I will love the alternate vibe, not that the druggie side of things would be appealing.

I like to be organised even though it's months away I want our flights booked so hopefully we can reach affirmative plans soon.

Thanks for the links.

Unless the flights from Perth directly to the GC (Coolangatta) are either not available or the flights from Perth to Brisbane are a lot cheaper, I would fly to Coolangatta instead of Brisbane, if it were me.

The extra 1+ hour of driving from Brisbane would be a waste of time and isn't at all scenic.

Really hope you enjoy your trip. It's great to get away somewhere different if only for a few days :).

Ok, thanks.

My girlfriend and I love going to conferences interstate. Tax deduct and we always make sure we fit in lots of sightseeing, we just go go go.

A few years ago I took my son to Tassie, he pleaded with me to stop and could we just have a day of doing nothing, he was exhausted at our pace. Holidays are not for relaxing, lol

Back