Cabinet maker quote too $$$. Any suggestions on how to solve this issue.

Hi there!

I had a double wall oven that has been replaced by a single oven. So there's now a gap which I wish to make into a microwave shelf. The sides are also too wide (by 1cm)

Material is blackwood timber.

Oven is stainless steel/finger print resistant. Will need "sides" to screw this in to secure.

Got a cabinet maker today to quote. He wanted $1180 +GST to do up a new frame for the oven and build a shelf on top. I should have bought a double oven which would have cost less!!! :eek:

Too$$$ for me to fix up a 1cm gap on the sides and to put in a shelf which will be melamine and not even have a wooden door.

So now am exploring other options.

What would you suggest?

I thought I could attach a strip of wood on either side of the oven and stain it to match the colour of the timber. Seeing that it is only 5mm each side I hope it will not be noticeable.

Where can I source the timber

2. How about getting stainless steel strips to go on the sides? Where would I purchase this?

3. I suppose the shelf would be easy to build by a handyman? (I am not handy)

I am waiting for 2 more quotes. I had thought that the frame would cost around $400 but this was way beyond my expectations!!

Thanks for your advice/sympathies in advance!

Gizmopb1

Last edited:
If you know the exact dimensions and cuts that you need then you could try an online kitchen flatpack company.

Cheers

Jamie

get another handy man out, my mother had the same drama after her double oven gave out. I think she call the grey army and they send out a Handy man cost about $250 plus material which from memory was $300.

Hi there!

I had a double wall oven that has been replaced by a single oven. So there's now a gap which I wish to make into a microwave shelf. The sides are also too wide (by 1cm)

Material is blackwood timber.

Oven is stainless steel/finger print resistant. Will need "sides" to screw this in to secure.

Got a cabinet maker today to quote. He wanted $1180 +GST to do up a new frame for the oven and build a shelf on top. I should have bought a double oven which would have cost less!!! :eek:

Too$$$ for me to fix up a 1cm gap on the sides and to put in a shelf which will be melamine and not even have a wooden door.

So now am exploring other options.

What would you suggest?

I thought I could attach a strip of wood on either side of the oven and stain it to match the colour of the timber. Seeing that it is only 5mm each side I hope it will not be noticeable.

Where can I source the timber

2. How about getting stainless steel strips to go on the sides? Where would I purchase this?

3. I suppose the shelf would be easy to build by a handyman? (I am not handy)

I am waiting for 2 more quotes. I had thought that the frame would cost around $400 but this was way beyond my expectations!!

Thanks for your advice/sympathies in advance!

Gizmopb1

whereabouts are you located in melbourne?

Back