Calling all brokers...

Ok here is a situation that perhaps can be solved with some good financing, so I will put it to the forum for advice. Family have asked my opinion on whether to sell or refinance 2 ip's for them to move forward.

I have extended family members (married couple) in their late 50's own ppor in sydney outright (650-750k value I'm not active in that market so bit hazy)
They also own 2 ip's in beenleigh area SEQ - purchased around 130k each, vals in 150-190k range currently both rented around 250 each (from memory so again the numbers could be marginally different but thats close to correct)

They both work - he full time earning 90k+ and her part time earning 50k+ (this bit is an estimate as I didnt feel comfy asking them for exact amounts yet)

They have an adult daughter (29) living at home and working full time earning 70k. They want to help her into some property and out of the home if possible. They are considering whether to purchase a 2 br unit in their area (sutherland shire) which from my very brief research looks like costing 400-450 at this stage. On 70k with small cash deposit (may have 5% soon but no more in genuine savings at this stage) the adult daughter cant afford this and no one in the family wants to relocate to western sydney or a cheaper area (that is a whole nuther conversation that I had with her but anyway). So mum and dad want to consider their options to get her into the property market.

An alternative I suggested she consider is to rent(share) and invest in other locations based on her borrowing capacity and market conditions (which I could help her analyse) but she doesnt want to share rent if she can avoid it.

So the parents are considering. Selling both units at (what is my opionion) a lousy time in the cycle to sell with minimal profit realised and indicators saying that the next 3 yrs should create some more capital growth, so there would be lost opportunity there. Selling both would allow them to borrow to buy up to 50% of a unit with their daugter.

I suggested they at least consider a range of options including keeping the units (my reasons in above paragraph) and refinancing the house to get into the unit for their daughter. Also I suggested that (given they all actually get on fine and she has a separate part of the house) they consider her staying on an extra 2-3 yrs and invest in 1 or more ip's either in the local area or elswhere.

I suggested to them that (because they hadnt throught about finance at all prior to talking to me) some good mortgage brokers might have a range of ideas on how to tackle something like this and work out what is possible. They dont currently have a good broker so (heres the hook!) anyone with an amazing set of recommendations that are reasonably low risk and suits them might get the loans business at the end pending on the decision they make.

Issues that might be problems or might not:
1 Their age and how this effects borrowing capacity
2 The fact that right now they want to help 1 adult daughter but in 3-5 yrs they might want to help their other 2 sons who may also find Sydney RE unnafordable
3 They appear to hope for a 3-6 yr retirement plan. I am not sure exactly how realistic this is and can see them working at the long end of that window or perhaps part time in "semi" retirement for a while. They have a few hundred k in super but not huge balance as far as I know. Main thing being they need to consider their current retirement savings plans in their asset purchase decisions and the way they help their daughter (ie they thought of just loaning her the money at no/low interest but there is huge opportunity cost with that that they cant really afford at this stage)
4 The daughter has wants but these are no necessarily easily fit into current market realities. There is also some parochialism ie she wont move to a cheaper part of sydney. I have had numerous conversations about this issue with the whole family and they wont budge so they would rather find a solution that is financially more difficult if it obtains the goal.

Sooooo...

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Matt

Getting the money from refinancing shouldn't be an issue at all. However none of the interest would be tax deductible.

But on a personal level, it sounds like they should maybe reassess giving their daughter that money. She's 29 and living at home and hasn't been able to save a 5% deposit?
If they're insistent on giving her money, maybe they can give her just enough to buy a property with a 95% LVR loan? If she can show the 5% as genuine savings, I don't think lenders care where the stamp duty and costs come from.

This is easily solved with a family guarantee to provide the daughter with a deposit on the next property without having to sell anything.

Seriously:rolleyes:

I know but I want to leave moral judgement out of it I have spoken to them about tough love and choices and they still want to pursue a path as I outlined. Its a little more complicated that I outlined due to a history of significant illness etc which has eaten into some of the historical savings.

Personally i think the daughter should be kicked into reality and cut from the purse strings.

See above issues I didnt want to make it too personally revealing but the adult daughter is actually fairly good with managing money, just has been clear about prioritising travel, and then as stated illness and other issues have come into play in recent yrs.

This is easily solved with a family guarantee to provide the daughter with a deposit on the next property without having to sell anything.

thanks Aaron I think this might work to the purchase but it wouldnt solve the daughter's ability to service 400k of debt alone on 70K would it? That is the part that worries me with them locking into the servicability issue long term.

Getting the money from refinancing shouldn't be an issue at all. However none of the interest would be tax deductible.

But on a personal level, it sounds like they should maybe reassess giving their daughter that money. She's 29 and living at home and hasn't been able to save a 5% deposit?
If they're insistent on giving her money, maybe they can give her just enough to buy a property with a 95% LVR loan? If she can show the 5% as genuine savings, I don't think lenders care where the stamp duty and costs come from.

Spludgey if she rents the other half from them then wouldn't it be tax deductable? This would further compound her cash flow issues though and if they took no rent from her then they are in a massive cash flow hole servicing the debt for her and robbing their retirement savings. Not sustainable.

it wouldnt solve the daughter's ability to service 400k of debt alone on 70K would it? That is the part that worries me with them locking into the servicability issue long term

I don't see why not. Even once interest rates go back up she should be able to afford it provided she doesn't throw away money all the time. I'm not a broker though.

70k works in a lenders calculator. Whether the daughter is happy giving up that sort of disposable income is another matter. As discussed, she could rent out a room or two to help her afford it.

Family guarantee is therefore still an option.

This. The daughter sounds lazy.

I know it seems that way. She isnt - right now there may be an element of depression that is pulling on the parent's heart strings.

There definitely has been a significant number of yrs where the $ went on concerts and international travel. I was there all the way through her early twenties suggesting that a small ip would not cost too much each week and would slowly grow to create her future home deposit. She (and a number of other younger friends and family of mine) never listened and how perhaps they wish they had. Gen Y all over.

I know all that - but I am past the point of saying "i told u so" and looking for solution options as the family are requesting the advice. I can certainly maintain a "dont help her" line but I want to at least be able to articulate the options for them in terms of what is possible.

My main worry is for the retirement savings of the parents. If they sell 2 ips just BEFORE Brisbane booms through the next cycle (which my analysis tells me it will) then they rob themselves of perhaps 100k x 2 of capital growth in the coming few yrs. That is a REALLY expensive decision.

Its not my daughter and its not my decision. With all my extended family I maintain a stance of "understand the options, and their likely consequences, then u make a decision and be satisfied with it" I just want to do my best to help them have all the info and make a decent decision with full knowledge of what the costs and benefits might be.

70k works in a lenders calculator. Whether the daughter is happy giving up that sort of disposable income is another matter. As discussed, she could rent out a room or two to help her afford it.

Family guarantee is therefore still an option.

Tobe r u saying 400k loan works on 70k? I would have thought that would be a stretch. Is that for an IP with a rental income or is that PPOR? This is good though Im not a broker so this is the kind of stuff I need to work through.

most calculators work like this, the taxable income, ($70,000) minus the tax, ($15,347) minus the living expenses (for a single person thats roughly $14,500 pa) equals $40,000 or so that can be used towards the mortgage payments.

Payments on a $400,000 loan over 30 years are currently $2193 per month with the interest rate a 2% higher they would be $2712 or $32,544 pa.

Its more complicated when there are other debts involved, and multiple souces of income obviously.

most calculators work like this, the taxable income, ($70,000) minus the tax, ($15,347) minus the living expenses (for a single person thats roughly $14,500 pa) equals $40,000 or so that can be used towards the mortgage payments.

Payments on a $400,000 loan over 30 years are currently $2193 per month with the interest rate a 2% higher they would be $2712 or $32,544 pa.

Its more complicated when there are other debts involved, and multiple souces of income obviously.

Mmmm - thanks. Helps me understand how much my 4 beautiful little "serviceability hit" children hurt my borrowing power when I just built my place!!!

Back