Calling cafe runners - business owners: Issue theft

I managed pubs for quite a few years, where staff turn over is high, and the opportunity to dip fingers in the till is high.

Pubs and bars are tricky. They're often chaotic, noisy, low lighting etc. I worked in a busy place for about 7 years while I went through uni and afterwards. It was a great job. There were five of us who worked together often. But there was a problem with the money. The takings for nights where we had the same number of people through the place would vary hugely, so we were all suspects. The manager got an investigator on the case. I worked that out pretty quickly - he was easy to spot given he was twice as old as anyone else in the place and he hovered near the tills. Eventually, they called a meeting and confronted us with their suspicions. They told us that they could find no evidence of theft but suspected on the nights when takings were way down we were somehow stashing away quite a few thousand dollars.
So with the boys' permission, I had to explain.
'It's drugs', I said.
'Aha! I knew it,' said the boss.
'Um... No, you probably don't.' I said.
I explained how most nights there were drugs involved. On the nights when the takings were way up, we were all on speed. We worked like maniacs. Nobody stopped for breaks. We were like sped-up machines.
He pointed out a night when the takings were way down compared to every other night.
'Acid,' I said.
We swapped speed for acid that night and it was a mistake. One of the boys just wandered out onto the dancefloor and didn't come back. We didn't see him till the following week. One of the other boys freaked out every time the glass washing machine went on and he ended up cowering in the storeroom most of the night.
It was a great moral dilemma for the boss. I explained that if he supplied us with drugs it would probably result in a 40% boost in takings. He declined.

Ah, those were the days. Sorry to hijack the thread.

We should, totally like, just get rid of all workplace laws. Yeah. :rolleyes:
I never said get rid of the existing laws. I might not like about half of the ridiculous concessions we get, but they are there, so there it is.

What I want is to have no more brought in. We are already getting a bloody good deal.

For interest, I have worked out what a staff member actully costs to employ, based on their hours of work. This also includes sick days - which many Aussies will take because they are there; not necessarily because they are needed.

It is approx 50% more than his actual wage.

So, for my 3 employees, I am unable to employ 1.5 other people.

Unions will always push for more....I think that's a big enough cost already, don't you?

Oh I agree that there are enough protections in place, but there seriously needs to be some restructuring of some entitlements.

In my particular workplace, getting leave is nigh on impossible so everyone seems to get a 'sick' a lot. A breakdown of sick leave to include 3 or so days of personal leave would be preferable (so 9 days sick, 3 days personal.

I'd like to see a breakdown of these costs however. As so far I have 9% for the super, 2 weeks sick leave equating to 3.8% of unworked labour. Casual loading obviously doesn't count into the equation otherwise it would negate the sick leave. So what is the other 32.2%?

Oh I agree that there are enough protections in place, but there seriously needs to be some restructuring of some entitlements.

In my particular workplace, getting leave is nigh on impossible so everyone seems to get a 'sick' a lot. A breakdown of sick leave to include 3 or so days of personal leave would be preferable (so 9 days sick, 3 days personal.

I'd like to see a breakdown of these costs however. As so far I have 9% for the super, 2 weeks sick leave equating to 3.8% of unworked labour. Casual loading obviously doesn't count into the equation otherwise it would negate the sick leave. So what is the other 32.2%?

Worksafe insurance, holiday pay, leave loading on that pay, public holiday pay, public holiday pay in lieu of public hols on a weekend - now than one really pizzes me off.

I'm talking about the hourly rate each worker is paid, then multiply that by the actual hours they work.

Then, divide the actual hours worked by the total amount of wages and staff related costs as listed above.

See; the problem is that everyone thinks of loading on holiday pay - and even holdiay pay itself as a given. Why?

Why should you be paid the exact same amount of money you earn when you are at work, when you are NOT at work?

For me; no work; no pay. pretty simple. Oh, alright; I'll give you half pay. After all; you are not even at work.

And why should you then receive MORE pay on top of this 'pay for no work', when you don't do any shift work or overtime which you would be missing out on by not being at work.

Of course! we are entitled to it!

Americans used to laugh their heads off when I told them about how good we have it here...and we're still putting our hands out for more.

Are you having trouble getting annual leave? What sorts of reasons are you given for that. Is it just because you want to take leave at inconvenient times, or is there no convenient time? We have the opposite problem in my business.. we have to force people to take leave, so that they don't end up accruing huge amounts. But we do try to manage it so everyone takes holidays during the Christmas period, to avoid long absences during the year.

Annual leave has to be accrued by the company, and it can be a big dent in the reported profitability of the business....... so our financial results improve considerably when everyone takes leave!

The standard "on-costs" that you have to allocate on top of actual salaries paid are super, payroll tax, annual leave, sick leave, long service leave, workers comp insurance, other insurances, fringe benefits tax. obviously incentives/ bonuses/ allowances also need to be added. In my business, these items (incl bonus accrual) are running at about 35% of salaries YTD.

cheers
Pen

Why should you be paid the exact same amount of money you earn when you are at work, when you are NOT at work?

For me; no work; no pay. pretty simple. Oh, alright; I'll give you half pay. After all; you are not even at work.

How many people are still entitled to leave loading these days? I thought it had been phased out years ago for most employees......

I'm more than happy for my staff to get paid for annual leave........ best that they take a good holiday and come back refreshed and ready to work hard again than be tired and drained and needing a break. Obviously it needs to be taken at a convenient time.
But I guess it also depends what value you see your staff contribute to the business. For me currently, they are the key element of its success, and they work hard and smart and bring a great return to the business. We definitely get our money's worth out of them during the year.

But when you have underperforming staff, I think its harder to feel enthusiastic about paying them! and its always those ones who have greater demands on the business/ insurance claims/ sick leave etc etc........

But when you have underperforming staff, I think its harder to feel enthusiastic about paying them! and its always those ones who have greater demands on the business/ insurance claims/ sick leave etc etc........

The quality of the work is not an issue; just paying people to not be there.

Look, I've been a recipient of holiday pay for a good number of my working years too; it doesn't mean it's what we should all have.

why not ?

annual leave seems to be quite common woldwide, so not only we think it's a good idea....

I hope it doesn;t go anywhere....

we've been paying of these costs though inflated prices etc et all of our lives... and the world is still going....

In Canada, annual leave is 2 weeks.
In the factory I used to work in, we could be made to work mandatory overtime up to 60 hrs in a week.We did have a union, so we received 1.5 x regular wage for up to 12 hours straight, and 2x regular wage from 12-16 hours straight. Double time from 4 pm Saturday to 8 4 pm Sunday.

Nothing of the shift premium you receive in Australia. We would get $0.24 hour extra till midnight, and $0.32 midnight until 8 am.
Our weeks are based on 40 hrs.
We finally received 2 sick days per year.

There were times when we were made to work every saturday in the summer...and our summer is very short. Made a lot of emplyees angry and told the company to hire more people.
The company would rather pay overtime, as there was no training, and all the other costs, such as Bayview mentioned earlier, were already accounted for.

As an employer, I'd probably do the same thing.
Couldn't have been too bad, I worked there for 20 years.

why not ?

annual leave seems to be quite common woldwide, so not only we think it's a good idea....

I hope it doesn;t go anywhere....

we've been paying of these costs though inflated prices etc et all of our lives... and the world is still going....

Ok; explain why the vast majority of products we consume on a daily basis are no longer manufactured in Australia?

Or why we all get so upset when we keep getting someone on the end of the phone when we make an enquiry, and that person is obviously offshore and very hard to understand....

I don't know.

It could be possible that you have actually given this more considered thought than I have :p

I guess I do wonder though what changes it would take to 'fix things' and what effect that would have on the population depending on how they are implemented, and we know how we ausssies just love to praise our politicians for the competency...

Well, I don't know. I've been managing staff for nearly 20 years now... sometimes in other peoples companies, and sometimes in my own business.

I think we've all worked too hard to go back to the Industrial Revolution days when workers had no rights. Paying for annual leave seems a small price to pay to me.

I'm sure there are still industries where workers have too many benefits, but in most areas, the benefits have been whittled away over the past few years. In my current team, I expect my team will be available to work as they are required, and that will include after hours and weekend work. They get no extra money for that, but their salaries reflect that level of responsibility. and if they need to take time out to go see their kids at school, or to look after sick family members, they get that time. Its give and take. If I look after them, they look after me. and more often than not, I'm telling them they are working too hard or too much, rather than trying to get them to work.

Admittedly, this is research from a "left leaning institution", but the research suggests that Australians have the longest working hours in the developed world....
http://www.abc.net.au/pm/content/2004/s1247577.htm

Pen

Do we really want Australia to be full of low wage manufacturing jobs for the benefit of a few people reaping the profits, whilst the purchasing power of the plebs is less, reducing income for retailers etc. Round and round we go.

Proponents for less rights and wages for workers say it will stop the price inflation created by higher costs. Then if they suggest the margins will be the same with lower product costs, why don't they operate in the current environment? All a farce.

Back