Can I borrow $25 Dad??? (a sad reminder of what is REALLY important)

Can I borrow $25 Dad??? (a sad reminder of what is REALLY important)

A man came home late as usual from work, tired and irritated, to find his seven year old son waiting for him at the door.

SON: ‘Daddy, may I ask you a question?’

DAD: ‘Yes, sure, what it is?’ he replied.

SON: ‘Daddy, how much do you make an hour?’

DAD: Why do you ask such a thing?’ the man said somewhat irritated.

SON: ‘I just want to know. Please tell me, how much do you make an hour?’

DAD: ‘If you must know, I make $50 an hour.’

SON: ‘Oh,’ the little boy replied, with his head down.

SON: ‘Daddy, may I please borrow $25?’

Sadly, this irritated the father, ‘If the only reason you asked that is so you can borrow some money to buy a silly toy or some other nonsense, then you march yourself straight to your room and go to bed. Think about why you are being so selfish. I don’t work hard everyday for such childish frivolities.’

The little boy quietly went to his room and shut the door.

After about an hour or so, the man had calmed down, and started to think:

Maybe there was something he really needed to buy with that $25.00 and he really didn’t ask for money very often. The man went to the door of the little boy’s room and opened the door.

‘Are you asleep, son?’ He asked.

‘No daddy, I’m awake,’ replied the boy.

‘I’ve been thinking, maybe I was too hard on you earlier’ said the man. ‘It’s been a long day and I took out my aggravation on you. Here’s the $25 you asked for.’

The little boy sat straight up, smiling. ‘Oh, thank you daddy!’ he yelled. Then, reaching under his pillow he pulled out some crumpled up bills.

The man saw that the boy already had money, and started to get angry again.

The little boy slowly counted out his money, and then looked up at his father.

‘Why do you want more money if you already have some?’ the father grumbled.

‘Because I didn’t have enough, but now I do,’ the little boy replied.

‘Daddy, I have $50 now. Can I buy an hour of your time? Please come home early tomorrow. I would like to have dinner with you.’

The father was crushed. He put his arms around his little son, and begged for his forgiveness.

Kinda makes you think??

There's gotta be a business opportunity in there somewhere.

Maybe the father could charge the son 12% p.a. with a balloon repayment at the end on the borrowed funds. Maybe put a caveat on his son's bedroom space as security. X-coll his bike as well...I dunno.

If he gets it right, the father could be retired in a few years.

:D Now I know you don't really mean that Dazz.

(or do we look forwoard to posts from people known as "son of the ******* usullay known as dazz" ) :D

I am not suggesting being totally namby pamby "always there whatever" for the kids...but it IS important to have balance.

:D Now I know you don't really mean that Dazz.

(or do we look forwoard to posts from people known as "son of the ******* usullay known as dazz" ) :D

I am not suggesting being totally namby pamby "always there whatever" for the kids...but it IS important to have balance.

I think Dazz retired early to have more balance and be with his family. ;)

I think Dazz retired early to have more balance and be with his family. ;)

Yep he's definitely mentioned that..

It got driven home to me (I have no kids of my own), when a friend's son (we were really close) asked me if I could go to his school concert to watch him cause mum couldn't.. his parents had just split up and dad had been interstate for some time, and mum being at work, he asked if I could go.. I kick myself for going to work instead. I still remember his innocent 8 yr old face when he asked.

There's gotta be a business opportunity in there somewhere.

Maybe the father could charge the son 12% p.a. with a balloon repayment at the end on the borrowed funds. Maybe put a caveat on his son's bedroom space as security. X-coll his bike as well...I dunno.

If he gets it right, the father could be retired in a few years.

LMAO - This made me laugh so bad :D It's so cruel but yet so funny...

Nice post though, good reminder of how innocent kids can be.

Hi moyjos

Beauty, as they say, is in the eye of the beholder

So is maudlin pathos.

Sorry, I don’t see this as ‘sad’ at all, but yes it is a reminder of what is really important.

I see the Father working very hard to provide for his family, and the Boy showing great entrepreneurial spirit in finding a way to buy what he wants

The Boy has also leveraged his capital to raise working capital for the event.

However, the Father showed lack of fiscal wisdom by questioning the Boy when he saw that there was already money available.

No wanting or having more money provided until the existing money is spent is poor financial training.

I paid a regular allowance to No: 1 Son from the time he was two. He was quite capable of making value judgements with money from that age. He bought his first investment property at age 16 & half with money he had saved from working weekends at Bi-Lo from his 15th Birthday which was the last time he ever received any money directly from me.

With regards to the Father working as hard as he obviously does in the story, I, too, consider that providing for my children to be a priority. Sentiment does not pay the bills. As a parent, it is our duty to keep our children warm and safe, to feed them regularly, to provide for their education and health care. All this costs money.

When I had the Child Care Centre, the youngest child I cared for came to me at 11 weeks of age. His Father earned $350 per week (in 1989) and his Mother earned about $375. While on maternity leave they were borrowing money for food. Her return to work was not selfishness, it was an absolute necessity.

Sorry, but this type of story is akin to those dreadful posters of children with large, dark eyes brimming with tears. Sentimental tripe which undermines and robs people of initiative.

As a Parent, I would like to think that I have demonstrated to my Children what is really important: That we love them and respect them and will go out of our way to demonstrate that love and respect by working to provide for them and will train them to provide for themselves.

As for this soppy little story: Bah! Humbug!

Cheers
Kristine

Bah Humbug indeed!

It's not that i disagree with you as you make some very valid points, sentiment wont pay the bills but at the same time do we really overwork ourselves in the best interest of our children or for our own lifestyles?

My parents worked their butts off and achieved very little as a result (sure, they had VERY poor money management skills). Today my dad asks my brother and i why we hate him so much. We dont hate him, we just dont make time for him like he never did for us. I keep reminding him to listen to that "cats in the cradle" song & it will explain it perfectly. I also tell him that anyone can make a baby, that's the easy bit but its what you do in the yrs after that count and he obviously didnt put much thought into that... in a joking way of course :)

You only get one childhood & as a parent perhaps its our responsibility to make sure our kids get the best childhood in ALL aspects. Having the time to help your child/ren with their homework, sitting down to a nice meal together and having fun is what kids will remember. Not the big fancy house/s, car/s, designer gear etc... Money is part of the picture, not the whole picture.

Congrats to your son by the way, BIG achievement to buy a house at 16!

Well said newbie1!

The rest of you are a grumpy old bunch aren't you! :mad:

I earn one of those silly salaries at the top end of the scale and a lot of my colleagues sacrifice an awful lot of their family time to achieve likewise. But I personally always ensure I don't compromise on the home front. I leave for work at 8:00am daily and walk out the door at 5:00pm religiously. Sometimes I have to travel, but I keep this to an absolute minimum.

Sure, there's downsides at work like observations about "spare time on your hands" and you need to get better at "managing perceptions", but I don't care. What I do care about is spending time with my beautiful wife and my gorgeous 3 year old boy. I have high productivity at work and do a damned good job but I don't hang around to 7:00pm daily just to "look good". I'll leave that to the politically motivated perception managers...

By the way, took my boy to the museum on Sunday to see the dinosaurs. He absolutely loved it, but the sharp tooths were a bit scary. He now knows most of the dinosaurs by name including some obscure ones like parasorolophus and pachisephalasorous etc. He knows his protoceratops (no horns) from his monoclonious (one horn) from his styracasaurus (lots of horns) from his triceratops (three horns). Not bad for a three year old, makes a doting old dad very proud! :D

I just wish I could spend more time with them both. But that's why I work hard now and invest what I can. We live within our means as that allows me to work less and spend more time with my family. Why have a flash new car or house if it means you're never with your family when they're in it?

Cheers,
Michael.

Curious thread this!!

Hubby has always made plenty of time to be home many, many afternoons to play with the boys since they were small. He has made three fancy go-karts over the years as they grew and pulled our boys plus various other visiting boys around the streets. He has taken them to the park to play footy, soccer everything. They have pulled houses apart together while he taught them to use tools properly.

Once they become grumpy, testosterone laden teenagers, they STILL think he is a tosser.

So, giving plenty of time doesn't always mean they will appreciate what you have given up, nor even like you during those teenage years. I am keeping my fingers crossed that once they get through to be adults, they may appreciate that many men didn't have time, or didn't bother to make time to do what their own father did, and to admit that their dad was "pretty good".

But there is nothing I can do about it if they never appreciate what they have had.

One biggie in this family is the boys don't like my hubby laying down ground rules like having on a shirt to sit on the leather couches (has caused lots of angst) or not putting their feet on the leather couches with shoes on (more angst). It comes down to a tug-o-war of wills and we pretty much take the attitude that when they buy their own leather couch, they can do what they want, but this is OUR furniture and we make the rules. Stupid things to argue about, but sometimes it just has to be made clear that we make the rules, whether they agree with them or not.

Generally, they just want to WIN the argument.

My husband's father didn't EVER do anything with hubby except abuse him after he had a skinful of beer. It was nothing to do with not having time, because he had plenty of that. He was just not a nice man and when I think of the things hubby has done with our boys, I cannot understand why they don't think that highly of him.

Just got to get through those teenage years :rolleyes:.

Curious thread this!!

Hubby has always made plenty of time to be home many, many afternoons to play with the boys since they were small. He has made three fancy go-karts over the years as they grew and pulled our boys plus various other visiting boys around the streets. He has taken them to the park to play footy, soccer everything. They have pulled houses apart together while he taught them to use tools properly.

Once they become grumpy, testosterone laden teenagers, they STILL think he is a tosser.

So, giving plenty of time doesn't always mean they will appreciate what you have given up, nor even like you during those teenage years. I am keeping my fingers crossed that once they get through to be adults, they may appreciate that many men didn't have time, or didn't bother to make time to do what their own father did, and to admit that their dad was "pretty good".

But there is nothing I can do about it if they never appreciate what they have had.

One biggie in this family is the boys don't like my hubby laying down ground rules like having on a shirt to sit on the leather couches (has caused lots of angst) or not putting their feet on the leather couches with shoes on (more angst). It comes down to a tug-o-war of wills and we pretty much take the attitude that when they buy their own leather couch, they can do what they want, but this is OUR furniture and we make the rules. Stupid things to argue about, but sometimes it just has to be made clear that we make the rules, whether they agree with them or not.

Generally, they just want to WIN the argument.

My husband's father didn't EVER do anything with hubby except abuse him after he had a skinful of beer. It was nothing to do with not having time, because he had plenty of that. He was just not a nice man and when I think of the things hubby has done with our boys, I cannot understand why they don't think that highly of him.

Just got to get through those teenage years :rolleyes:.

Hi Wylie

Hang in there. They are an ungrateful bunch but will eventually come out of it. My 17 yo is a very pleasant young man these days. A far cry from the angry young man who kept trying to punch me out as a 13 year old. When he was sixteen we made an agreement that if he started behaving like a young adult, I would treat him like one. As always, there were the odd infractions but he has turned into a delightful young man. Keeping the relationship going and hanging in there is very important IMHO, but quite hard when they are being obnoxious and physical.

Good luck.

Cheers

Shane

Hi moyjos

When I had the Child Care Centre, the youngest child I cared for came to me at 11 weeks of age. His Father earned $350 per week (in 1989) and his Mother earned about $375. While on maternity leave they were borrowing money for food. Her return to work was not selfishness, it was an absolute necessity.

Cheers
Kristine

What a stupid example. There is a big difference between parents having to work 12 hour days to make a living and put food on the table and a dad working 15 hour days and wekeends to make $150,000/yr instead of $120,000/yr and spending time with his kids and being home for dinner every day.

Back