When to make the decision to say goodbye to a family pet?

I've had lots of pets Wylie and only one didn't die of old age. Mostly I've had them put down at the last moment and then felt terribly guilty. But the guilt goes away. Twice now I've allowed two to die by themselves. It feels much less terrible just sad. But hard to do at the time. You don't
really have to make a decision. You can let nature take its course. But whatever you do, I've done it too and understand both ways. The main thing is that your dog has been loved.

So sad for you Wylie.. It's really tough
I've had to put my 16 year old cat down and I cried before that and buckets after that. I'm crying now as I remember the pain I felt....

Have you heard of Rainbow Bridge?
It goes like this:

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

On the radio only the other day (I only listen to 621, 693 and 744 so one of those) there was an interview with a pet handler who said she can hear animals through thought transference. Said it first happened at the vet, when she was putting her cat down and couldnt go through with it, then she distinctly heard "you have to let go, you are making it way too hard" couldnt believe what she had heard and wondered where it came from, but now hears thoughts from dogs and cats. I waited too long to put my 16yo poodle down and she virtually died on the operating table as they were putting the needle in, I wish I handnt put her through that as she was in a lot of pain for days before that. You have done the right thing, animals definitely get alzheimers so he probably wont even know you. So sorry for your loss.

Thank you. It is done. Can't stop crying. Dry my tears, and look at where his food bowl was and start again. I'm so sorry for those who have had the same happen, and hope you are coping well Greg B, having just gone through this yesterday.

I'm thankful the vet came here and the discomfort he went through was less than a minute. Had I taken him to the vet he would have had a traumatic hour and that would have been worse.

The vet and her assistant were lovely. I said this must be tough for you too and they said this is the one thing that doesn't get any easier with time.

In time, I'll stop seeing him as he was today, and remember what a happy little companion he was, much loved, and giving back as much as he got.

No words... so sad.
Be gentle with yourself

rainbow.jpg

Not just yet, it takes time to grieve out the last one.

You'll be right in about a week or three wylie.

Worst part for me is when burying them.
That's when I crack open.... uncontrollably. Scary really.:eek:

But life goes on regardless, so then comes a time to pick one self up, dust off and ...get another puppy !

Really feeling for you Wylie ... love you heaps - as does (current tense) your dog ... he will still be around to chat to and comfort you for a while yet.

We had our much love Mushka put to sleep just over a year ago and, like you, choose to do so at home. The best decision ever. She would stress horribly at the vet's whereas, at home, she just lay down in the shade of her favourite tree - so we put her blanket down - and cuddled her until she passed away ... it was all so lovely and peaceful. She is now buried just below the large rabbit mound she loved to play in.

I am sure your loving dog felt the peace as well

I get the "when it's time" issue - we were lucky that Mush had liver cancer, so there was no operation and when she refused to eat her favourite BBQ chicken we knew.

Anyone who has had a pet knows how much it hurts - and what a blessing they are in your life.

Remember him fondly ... and don't rush into a new puppy - although the house will feel very quiet without him - the new pet will come along and choose you when you are ready.

Dear Wylie, so sorry.. hugs, (and condolences for others who have lost their pets too.) It is tough going. They do become so much a part of the family and give us so much unconditional love and fun.

So sad, but was a brave decision you made.

Back