Can I find such a place?

I'm just thinking out allowed and forum members might be able to offer ideas if you could please.

I'm looking for a town that I can satisfy all these criteria. Can I find such a place :confused:.

This is the short list of what it must have!

1). Potential to open a small (and may expand) shopfront that will be a Net Cafe, this will also double as my interest in web design, second-hand book sales on the side as something just extra to do. Start small with a couple of Computers-Books-Web Design and cheap lease. Could be some ratty place I can tidy up.

2).Somewhere, where I can study for Residential Drafting (correspondence preferably) so a good Tafe that does this and close contact with the Teachers if need be while learning if getting stuck with anything! Also considering doubling up and doing a Surveyors course at the same time.

3). Somewhere that has the potential to develop a backpackers either small or leasing a suitable place or turning an old Queenslander into a Guesshouse accommodation. So must be a town that has that need for Backpacker Tourist accommodation. This could center around all the above functions!

4). A large country town where I can look for 50k-150k Reno properties "A Dump To Do Up!" not to large and also laid back town and or a town that has a place nearby within 30k to look for these property's.

I mean all of it might not happen but at lease if in a town that has the potential to work at any one of them would be good. I like Bundaberg but and Harvey Bay is good too, a little large but good place.

I think somewhere Queensland or N.S.W. I'm unfamiliar with down below Perth way such as around Maryborough River and the lower end of the state so may be overlooking something there?

Do you think I can find such a place or am I hoping to much? Considering anywhere in Australia though the preferences above I like and lot's of Sunshine.

I was ticking all the boxes for Bundaberg - kept reading and you had already considered it:)

We just love the area from Childers through Bundy up to Agnes Water and 1770.

Innisfail is worth considering. Meets all your criteria. Old places to do up are plentiful after the cyclone. Only one hours drive to domestic and international airports. Backpackers aplenty, and usually on a working holiday at the same time with local agricultural industry. Weather is perfect. I can recommend the REA we use there and his PM is a gem.

A net cafe could be good. It would depend on whatever else is in the town where you are looking.

I doubt the usefulness of second hand books- especially computer books, which go out of date extremely quickly. I've always had the impression that second hand book places are run purely by people who love books- but not people who can make money out of them.

Instead, I'd be looking at teaming up with a travel agency. That fits in with backpackers much better.

A travel agency is typically struggling with reduced commissions and increased "non commission" surcharges, as well as reduced overseas travel. An agency which can provide good advice and travel to domestic backpackers (often cashed up) may well welcome advice and investment from somebody computer savvy.

Though I'd suggest that website design for backpacker websites (if applicable) should be fairly basic, non Flash.

Moree could be good, re alignment of Newell Highway away from the center of town will open up city centre for cafe scene. Backpacker Accom for rural workers and young people on working holidays. Also talk of a major chain moving to town.

Good luck Bullfrog

I doubt the usefulness of second hand books- especially computer books, which go out of date extremely quickly. I've always had the impression that second hand book places are run purely by people who love books- but not people who can make money out of them.

You may be able to be educated the same as I was a few weeks ago. Simple looking boring old used books sitting on the shelve such as Steven King novel's and I ask "how much do you make on selling books, not much"? he says I make more on the book then the PC's. I sit in the shop for three days few hours at a time as I got along well with owner and was also downloading major huge files. And second hand books are amazing he finds them here there everywhere and he gets excited about selling books, showed me the tricks of the trade and all about it he said many times books are great when we were talking about marketing. Gets them from people dropping them in and garage sales book exchange. I changed my way of thinking of old second hand books that on the face of it I neglected and had never even considered as something to sell. It's a good way to fill space and very low start up costs even if something takes it's place later on.

I agree with the little things that could be got going with Taurist deals travel etc I would get into taking tourists for drives even in buses maybe I would have no trouble getting on the microphone and entertaining. If in Bundy I think I would do Turtle Night trips and worker taxi runs. Lot's of creative things could unfold.

Also don't touch anything no-flash someone else would do that maybe. But I would focus on the town web sites and I do Flash Only.

As a recent seller of books, I agree. I also know someone who runs a second hand store and they make good money out of it. I was offered $70 if I remember correctly for a box of about 10 extremely expensive excellent condition big art books. I reckon each one would be resold for $20 min. Paperbacks you only get 50c or $1.00 and they resell for $4.50, certainly way cheaper than buying new at $18/$25.

Might not be relevant but there was a great second hand book shop in Hervey Bay but last time I went there, it had closed down. I asked the shop next door and he said they had not been going very well. Then I thought back to the other times I had been in there and I was always the only customer in the shop. I live in the Gympie area and there was also a really good second hand bookshop here too but alas, it too closed is doors a couple of months ago. Read into it what you like.
JIM

Back