Can I grow a banana tree

Yes you can. I grow them here in Brissie. Don't forget there are major banana plantations not too far south of the Gold Coast. But there are issues with legality. There are restrictions on the variety you can grow, and I believe you are technically meant to get a permit. You will find it somewhere in the state govt. website.

Here is a start:
http://www2.dpi.qld.gov.au/horticulture/5153.html

Could someone possibly get their email address for me please. I haven't set up my BigPond email address, and it keeps going to try and set it up (I use google mail), and I can't find their actual email address or phone number anywhere on their website. I've also tried the yellowpages, but can't find it there either.

Thanks
QB

Don't forget you'll only get one crop of bananas from it though and once it has borne fruit you'll have to chop it down and remove the roots otherwise the cockroaches get into it and go everywhere.

Don't forget you'll only get one crop of bananas from it though and once it has borne fruit you'll have to chop it down and remove the roots otherwise the cockroaches get into it and go everywhere.

But new plants or "suckers" will come up to replace the already fruited stem. Most recommend cutting the fruited stem off at the ground and pour a bit of kero or diesel on it to kill it. I've never bothered with digging out the root system and have not encountered problems with cockroaches.

You will get more suckers than you want, so use the kero solution on the unwanted ones too. Otherwise you will end up with a big clump that will slowly take over your yard! I usually only leave 1 or 2 suckers each year.

We had a sugar banana tree growing in Sydney for a while. Eventually got rid of it as part of a backyard blitz, but it grew well and had some really nice bananas.

And yes, we cut off the fruited trunk after each season and tried to hack out the roots as well, as much as possible. There seemed to be 4 or 5 new shoots growing each year, but we'd ultimately only keep 1 or 2.

Also remember there's a big banana industry (including the Big Banana!) at Coffs Harbour, which is way south of Queensland.

GP

growing a banana tree in melbourne

I once saw a banana tree in melbourne but the bananas never got ripe. i was told it was the melbourne weather not being consistently hot enough

francine.

Hi Queen Bee,

If you're down my way at Ocean Shores, Nth NSW, I will give you a sucker or ten. I have dwarf Cavandish which grow beautifully. You will need to wait around 12 to 18 mths for harvest. They will perform best with rich, well mulched soil and regular watering. The current season has been perfect for them with the regular rainfall and warm weather.

Cavendish.JPG

Cheers, Ian

Hey does anyone have a sucker, corn of a cavendish banana I will pay for it and postage thankyou ([email protected])

I think - but I'm not 100% sure that it's current - that cavendish bananas are being closely monitored for diseases and that someone may need a permit to dig a sucker up and send it - or you may need a permit to plant it. Or both.
http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0009/267480/Order102.pdf
Also on this grower's website:
http://www.backyardbananas.com.au/faq.html

person down the road in newcstle grows them successfully ... the idea is great, but they are such a messy looking plant. i'd rather just buy mine at $1.30/kg as required and plant a passionfruit (buggered if i'm paying $1 a fruit!).

Hi Queen Bee,

If you're down my way at Ocean Shores, Nth NSW, I will give you a sucker or ten. I have dwarf Cavandish which grow beautifully. You will need to wait around 12 to 18 mths for harvest. They will perform best with rich, well mulched soil and regular watering. The current season has been perfect for them with the regular rainfall and warm weather.

Cavendish.JPG

Cheers, Ian

Hi Ian, I was surfing the net trying to get info on planting bananas in our yard. I came across this post of yours, I know it is an old post but was wondering if this offer is still open and if it is open to others besides Queen Bee?
Regards Lynn ([email protected])

I once saw a banana tree in melbourne but the bananas never got ripe. i was told it was the melbourne weather not being consistently hot enough

francine.

Look for a banana plant called "cool season bananas" in bunnings. It's meant for melbourne weather.

Back