What Tree is This?

Hi All,

I was hoping someone might be able to identify a tree for me.

I have just purchased land and this tree is out the front - I'd say I'll have the option of keeping it or getting rid of it, so I am curious what it is, and what its root system will be like (is it something I want near a driveway and water pipes?

Thanks

Chris

Attachments

• tree_smaller.jpg
    tree_smaller.jpg
    349.1 KB · Views: 147
That's a jacarandah -- they get the blue flowers on them in spring that fall down to make a lovely blue carpet.

Whether you can get rid of it depends entirely on the council. Take a measurement of the circumference of the trunk at 1m above ground, then phone them up and find out whether it's covered by a tree preservation order.

If the tree is "out front" as in "on the council nature strip" then it's highly unlikely you can do much more than lightly trim it.

Again, check with council.

thanks both :) I shall investigate. It is under a powerline, so maybe council will like it gone.

I would like to keep it for shade (not to mention now that I know it's a Jacaranda, I know how beautiful they are...but not at the expense of lifting the driveway/finding water pipes.

Jacarandas are great and have a beautiful blue-purple flower when in bloom in Spring and Summer. Unless it is causing you grief keep it and enjoy the way it changes with the seasons.

That's def a Jacaranda.

Don't trim them, the re growth goes straight up and not in the gnarly natural way they grow normally.

Unfortunately, it looks like one day it will be topped because of the power lines.

Beautiful trees that grow very very large and throw fabulous shade all summer long, then that beautiful mauve flower around Nov.

Agree it's probably a jacaranda. But when it flowers if they are red we all got it wrong and it's a Poinciana.

Interesting you say red...
We have planted Jacarandas & Flame trees alternating up both sides of 100m of driveway.

In a few more years when the flames start flowering, will be Red, Mauve, Red, Mauve...at the same time. Hopefully.:cool:

Yep, just google up some propagation tips and you'll be on your way.

Mind you, it would be easier to buy one, they are not that dear really.

Our Trees cost $35 and were 6ft tall.

Back