can I remove the end bit of this wall

Hello I would like to remove the end bit of this single brick wall that seperates the kitchen from the lounge, so the new kitchen cabinets can just fit straight up against the wall , Im just a bit worried it might be there for the walls stability. there is a wooden beam that sits directly on top of the main part of the wall but not the end bit. pics attached (have already begun the process but can easily reverse)

the unit was built in the 70s is a top floor unit with a flat roof that sits about a foot above the top of the wall ceiling is plasterboard.

any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• DSC00002.jpg
    DSC00002.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 79
  • DSC00003.jpg
    DSC00003.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 72
  • DSC00004.jpg
    DSC00004.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 77
Definitely leave as is. Not to mention the strata issues?

The return is giving lateral restraint to the wall.. a single skin of brick (depending on its height) doesn't have much capacity. Considering it's taking the load of the roof, it's definitely designed to be there ;)

lucky i stopped before i got to far in. I wanted the fridge cabinet to be the first but that end bit of brickwork wont allow it to happen unless i start everything on the inside of it which i think will look tackey, what i might do is have the first as the pantry and cut the pantry to fit in so it cover the end bit.

Thats a structual wall.

but is the end bit part of it? the two bricks i removed at the top are actually under the plasterboard ceiling?

also another question on the render thats on the wall around most of the units walls there is a web of hairline to abit more than hairline cracks (I think its where the render might be lifting off the brickwork some of the render ive already removed prettymuch flakes off/drummy, couldnt see them when inspecting as it was covered in wallpaper) is it ok to just bog these up and paint over or must you do a more permanent fix?

but is the end bit part of it? the two bricks i removed at the top are actually under the plasterboard ceiling?

Vbplease has already answered this.

The return on the wall which are the two bricks at right angle to the wall give stability to the wall and as such this return is an integral part of the structure.

The bit more than a hair line cracks can be opened up more and then replastered. There is no guarantee that they will not return

Cheers

Back