Can PIA Do it?

New user to PIA and also first time on forum so bear with me if I am asking a dumb question.

From what I can tell, PIA seems to work best with the purchase of a brand new investment property with the only limitation that I can see being the fact that you can't say - for instance - that you purchased the property half way through the year. Is this correct? Is there a way around this?

Where I am having real troubles is trying to tell PIA that the property that we bought is two and a half years old and that depreciation that would otherwise have been claimable in the first two and a bit years is gone and that we can only take the remaining depreciation life into account. Have I missed something? I am trying to work out the cash flow over the next few years but PIA is trying to give me greater depreciation - especially with the fixtures - that I am entitled to.

Hope someone can help.

You can change the figures within the depreciation field to what a Quantity Surveyor believes they are worth today ... If the property is really old ... there may not be any depreciation left on fittings and fixtures.

As for the building write off ... it should be easy to find out what the home cost to build and reduce it by 2.5%per annum since it was built.

The program will still show this as a 40 year write off ... just adjust it back to the date it was first built.

That should help

Back