Can someone clarify this Share question??

I am making a loss on some shares I have... They really are doing nothing and so I'm considering selling the shares (at a loss) and buying shares in another company that is doing well...

I purchased all my shares less than 12months ago..

When I take the loss, what will happen in regards to tax??

Thanks
Kris

As I understand it - you can offset the loss against any capital gains you have made. If no capital gains in the current financial year, you can carry the loss forward to a year where you do have a capital gain.

Lily

^^^ yep claim the loss, the amount you get back on the lost $$$ is equal to the tax bracket you're in.

so if you lost $1000 and you're in the 30% tax bracket, you'll see $300.

just because it's going nowhere doesn't mean it's a bad stock. why did you buy it in the first place? has it moved since you bought it?

Sorry, Blue Card, I may be misreading your advice, but not sure this is correct?

I thought you could only apply a capital loss against a capital gain. The way I read your reply (as I said, it could just be me), you are suggesting a loss can be taken against income (eg wage/dividend etc)? Perhaps this is the case for day traders, or people who trade for a living, but for the long-term investor type....???

As an example (following on from your $1000). Say KrisK is a long-term investor (not a day trader who buys and sells shares for a living), if he has sold some shares for a $3,000 gain, then sells the shares he is currently talking about for a $1000 loss, then overall he has a $2000 capital gain to declare on his tax return. If he has the shares for over a year, he has to declare half his gain, so pays tax at his maginal rate on half the $2000 (ie tax on $1000). At a 30% tax bracket, he pays an extra $300 in tax.

However, with that same $1000 loss from his current shares, if he has had no other capital gain to offset it against, he has a straight $1000 loss, that he can't do anything with this year. (ie, dosn't affect the amount of tax he pays in the current financial year - won't get back $300 or any other amount based just on the share sale). But he can carry that loss forward until he makes a capital gain.

Hope this makes sense.

Lily

Thanks guys make sense!! Ive got a share which isn't doing much and Id rather use the funds to put into another share thats going great guns!

ah yes i should have mentioned that any losses are off any other capital gain.

sorry for the assumption that there were other investments.

Back