Can someone please explain to me what kudos is?

You will notice that we all have a series of little green dots marked Kudos.

Basically the green dots increase in direct proportion to the sort of wonderful human being you are.

You may notice I have a lot. If you met me you would see that I am a handsome and dashing young man with impeccable manners.

You may notice that other people have very few. They are the opposite to me ;)

Simon has a lot of dots.....
And deservedly so! :D

But, hard as it is to believe, there was a brief point in history where my green dots outnumbered even Simons! :eek: But then he posted this point and asked for members to rectify this obviously misplaced imbalance. Which, given current dispositions, they clearly did...

:D

And, for those who don't know, you can read what positive comments other members have made about your posts by clicking on the User CP link at the top of the page. You give someone positive feedback by clicking on the white scales at the top right hand corner of the post you approve of then filling in the pop-up feedback box.

I try and give kudos regularly to reward good posts so that members continue to contribute in a positive way. Its a user-initiated re-inforcing mechanism so that we encourage what we see as appropriate contributions and grow the site to be the excellent community that it is today.

So let the love flow people! Its not a zero sum game! ;)

Cheers,
Michael

Just a reminder that we do have rules against soliciting kudos - in the past we have had to strip someone of their kudos completely after he started sending PMs to people requesting that they give him kudos.

We have had to remove the ability to sort the members list by kudos point score, since it was becoming obvious that more than a few of our members were competing to see how high they could get on the list. I don't want to have to remove the "little green dots" too.

Kudos should be about giving other people positive feedback and saying "well done" - not about competition or ego.

I only found out about kudos after some considerable time on the forum, and was pleasantly surprised that I had some.

Is there anything else that is not obvious that we should be checking or looking for on the forum.

And what is the reason for the bright green and dark green dots, if anybody knows?

And what is the reason for the bright green and dark green dots, if anybody knows?

You get 1 green dot for every 100 kudos points you get up to the first 500 points, and then you then get an additional bright green dot for every 200 points above 500.

Yes I would like to know the answer to that one and why are they called dots when they are square??????

They aren't actually square (although they are definitely "squarish") see the attached image, which is a full size version of what is used to create them.

The people who write the software actually call them "pips".

Attachments

• Reputation-Pips.gif
    Reputation-Pips.gif
    2.3 KB · Views: 401
Is there anything else that is not obvious that we should be checking or looking for on the forum.

One of my favourite options is 'Posts Per Page':

Click User CP, Click Edit Options, Scroll down to:

Number of Posts to Show Per Page
Use this option to set the number of posts to show in a thread before splitting the display into multiple pages.

I've got mine set to 40, I just wish it went higher, like 100.

-Ian

Actually, I'm guessing the 'View First Unread' button is probably not as well-known as it should be:

Instead of clicking on the title of a thread, click this button just to the left of the title:

firstnew.gif

That way it will skip over the posts in that thread that you have already seen and jump right to the new ones.

I only have one kudos dot, and i'd like to own multiple kudos dots.

Can i get credit for more kudos dots from somersoft, and then rent them out to other members, earning a share of kudos points from them everytime they recieve kudos, and for any kudos dots i am unable to rent out, can i claim back kudos points from somersoft come next july?

Back