Can we build before we have plans sealed ?

Hi

We have a DA for a battleaxe subdivision in Logan QLD and we plan to build as soon as we get our BA.

We thought we could have the plans sealed and pay headworks to council after the build of the house on the rear lot is complete, so we pay just before we sell the front lot.

Could anyone confirm if this is possible or do we need to seal plans and pay headworks BEFORE we start the build on the rear lot ?

Thanks for any advice :D

Bruce

You'll have trouble financing this plan.

If you're trying to finance a build with anything more than about 70% LVR, you'll need a fixed price building contract, along with plans, permits, approvals.

You might find there's some issues with building a property without the appropriate permits. This could be scary.

Difficult to do.
I would discuss with a private certifier. Ashley at applied building approvals is outstanding.

I'm in QLD and have been through building approvals multiple times and I have no idea, either! :D I'm waiting with bated breath. :)

Sorry, I am a newbie and am asking questions because I hope to learn more from the experience of others here on this forum.

I have finance approval from Suncorp and they have informed me that I can have the plans sealed (see below) either prior to construction ... OR .... after construction is complete but before the front lot is sold.

I contacted a "project management company" and they advised that I must have the plans sealed BEFORE I submit the BA.

I hope someone with experience can assist here, otherwise I will ask Council tomorrow.

Bruce

NOTE - this is from Brisbane Council but we are working with Logan Council

http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/planning-building/applying-post-approval/after-approval/plan-sealing

Plan sealing
If your development involves subdivision, Brisbane City Council must approve the survey plan. Council approves (also known as sealing) the survey plan once the development is finalised and all conditions of approval have been met.

Sorry, I am a newbie and am asking questions because I hope to learn more from the experience of others here on this forum.
You're already teaching, thank you. :) Sorry, can't help you re order of sealing / approvals. I imagine somebody here will be able to, though.

You would want to discuss this with your DA liaison officer at council and your certifier, as it depends on how the DA was conditioned by council. But typically the sealing of the new lot must be done before you can get the building approval. You should also organise a new sewer connection for the rear lot with Logan Water asap as I'm sure this will hold up the building/plumbing approval.

You would want to discuss this with your DA liaison officer at council and your certifier, as it depends on how the DA was conditioned by council. But typically the sealing of the new lot must be done before you can get the building approval. You should also organise a new sewer connection for the rear lot with Logan Water asap as I'm sure this will hold up the building/plumbing approval.

Thanks gaiusb

We did check with Logan Council officer today and we do need to get the DA completed and the plans sealed with the Lands Dept BEFORE we can lodge the BA.

Still looking for a Civil Engineer to assist with the application to Council for "Operational Works" such as water connection, sewer connection, phone, power, driveway, etc.

All part of a steep learning curve that we expected as part of our first subdivision experience.

Cheers :D

Thanks gaiusb

We did check with Logan Council officer today and we do need to get the DA completed and the plans sealed with the Lands Dept BEFORE we can lodge the BA.

Still looking for a Civil Engineer to assist with the application to Council for "Operational Works" such as water connection, sewer connection, phone, power, driveway, etc.

All part of a steep learning curve that we expected as part of our first subdivision experience.

Cheers :D

I'm not sure if you need to get a civil engineer or op works involved, unless it was specifically required on the DA then you might not need to.

Water and sewer connection - contact QLD Urban Utilities directly to get a quote to connect these.

Driveway - standard application form that you complete and send to council with a site plan showing your driveway.

Phone/power - telstra and energex or whatever they are (not experienced in this).

Back