Votes: 4 4.8%

Votes: 6 7.2%

Votes: 17 20.5%

Votes: 7 8.4%
  • more than 3

Votes: 49 59.0%

• Total voters
Hello All,

Very new to this site, so forgive me if this poll has been asked before.

I have one IP and am thinking of purchasing another. The reason i ask this question is, can you have "too many IPs"?

How many IPs do you "own" ?

Gordon Gekko

Dear Gordon,

Welcome to the forum.

If you want accurate results I think you need to put in bigger numbers. Also remember that the results will be uneven as how many people who own zero IP's are going to want to take the poll?

And no, you can never have "too many" IP's if it helps you achieve your original goal. Remember IP's are not the end result, they are simply the tool to use to help you reach it.

Cheers,

Sunstone.

Hi Jakk,

Point valid and article read. But the vast majority of the people do not read this Forum either. The majority of the members here spending their time and effort on this Forum as they have a great interest and wish to succed in life and especially in real estate.

So, this might put the figures into some objective reality.

Tibor

Perhaps it would be better to use ranges.

1-2
3-5
5-10
10-20
20+

To me, those seem to be the main 'barrier' points. Getting 1-2 isn't too bad. 3rd is harder. Past 5 harder again.
Past 10 you must be doing something right now.
Past 20, you've got it nailed !

my 2c

we were talking about this in the chat the other night

the general consensus seemed to be no of properties isnt really a good measure

you could have 400 relocatable homes in burke or one prime sydney waterfront

there was also an interesting and increasingly usless debate about ownership - and the technicalities of what ownership was....

Dear Brenda,

I will pay that one. :)

SBE,

Ranges seem like a good start. Maybe time for you to set up this poll and for us all to try again.

Jakk,

Yes we have some great people on this forum. This forum has certainly done a lot of good things for a lot of people.

Cheers,

Sunstone.

Originally posted by sbe
Perhaps it would be better to use ranges.

1-2
3-5
5-10
10-20
20+

To me, those seem to be the main 'barrier' points. Getting 1-2 isn't too bad. 3rd is harder. Past 5 harder again.
Past 10 you must be doing something right now.
Past 20, you've got it nailed !

my 2c

Number 3 is always the hardest, that's the one that turns us from curious to serious.

It's fairly accepted that the average person (I am not talking of IT professionals earning $6.1 Million per annum or whatever it is that they are earning nowadays) spends a third of their income for provision of their housing needs, so therefore, assuming that you have invested in similar IP to what you reside in, the 3 combined rentals received would be roughly equivalant to your own wage. (once again I am excluding these Mega Dollar earning IT Professionals).

Something happens at this point, you realise that if these properties were paid off, you would have another income.
and as I said, all of a sudden, this is serious stuff.
I believe once we have gotten number 3 and sorted out all the wrinkles, the next 300 will be a piece of cake.

It will just depend on how long it will take to sort out all the wrinkles.

regards

Last edited:
As an 18 hour a day IT-salary-slave speaking to a professional real estate agent... "give us a break, 6.1Million is probably what the average RE agent leaves as a tip after long lunch at the golf club" . Anyway the IT professionalfs time has come and gone, Bio-tech and its cousin nano-tech are going to be the central technologies of this century.

No time to chat, better get back to choosing the color of the cigar humidor for my new Maybach

Love you comment about the 30% a year = 3 properties = standard salary....nice succinct point that I will remember!

Well said, Jakk

But doing the ironing is most of the challenge (read: fun!).

If it was easy, 'everyone' would be doing it

The third of anything is what really tests the mettle

And regarding the reference to 3 = 1 income, that is of course, 3 + PPOR = 1 income.

However, to take into account the necessary outgoings of maintenance, insurance etc, I would construct the equation as:

PPOR + 1 sacrificial rent + 3 income rents = Reasonable Standard of Living (minimum: 5 properties owned clear of debt)

In fact, with care and management, that RSL, plus the equity in the other 5 properties means the ability to get #6, #7 - as many as you like!

On a philosophical note:

It's easy to be brave and adventurous when there's nothing to lose. A free ranging cowboy! (Yes, I know, that sounds a bit like a chicken)

But have you noticed how less brave and adventurous we become once we build a few fences and have a few cattle to protect from the dingoes and a bit of tax to pay and Home on the Range means yearly drenchings and harvests (gasp! it might rain on the wheat!!) and suddenly there is something to lose and, well, probably two is enough, why be greedy, don't tempt fate, and besides a new car would be nice and there's always the superannuation to fall back on and that nice college for the children really isn't expensive and so much nicer than that nasty free government school just down the road etc

So after the exhileration of the first two investment properties, most people - and I generalise purposefully - would consider that they had done their duty and would have no interest in breaking the sound barrier and experiencing the sonic boom of three.

But if we do, if we dare, like Alice through the little brown door, after three, it's a wonderland, a dimension of space, time and reality which is there for all to share.

And it's a darn sight more interesting than being stuck down the bottom of a rabbit hole for the rest of your life!

Well, there goes that white rabbit again. It must be later than I think!

Kristine

"If it was easy, 'everyone' would be doing it"

But it is easy and everyone IS doing it.

"But if we do, if we dare, like Alice through the little brown door, after three, it's a wonderland, a dimension of space, time and reality which is there for all to share."

Kristine, what are you on about? Its only property!!
Theres no ZEN! Theres no space - time continiuum.
Its all about the money, right? If it isnt, it should be.:)

And what is there for all to share?

Back to the thread: I think a poll of the total value of IPs held would be more relevant, something along the lines of XBenX's post.

Originally posted by Kristine..
Until you can see yourself there, you can't be there.

Is that something like not really existing unless you carry a mirror ?

Must be a girl thing :p :D

Brains
Thanks for that.
I'm after number three right now and this thread is almost making me nervous.

Kristine - Sim

Maybe its that change of expression of "I'll believe it when I see it." to "I'll see it when I believe it."
jahn

Originally posted by Brenda Irwin
400 relocatable homes in Burke or one Sydney waterfront?
I know which income stream I'd like to retire on and it ain't Sydney.
Brenda:D

and in 20 years time id like to compare K growth

that wasnt the purpose of my post

yield / K growth arguements arent worth having - different strategies for different times...

edit : I dont mean that to sound harsh....

Originally posted by jahn
Thanks for that.
I'm after number three right now and this thread is almost making me nervous.

Don't think about it jahn. There's no difference between buying the first and the next and the next and the next...

If you're concerned, figure out a way to buy three and four at the same time. That way you'll be so busy thinking about how to get four, three won't take up any time cause you have it in the bag.

Jas

PS- I'm serious. Push yourself.

Back