Canberra, Canberra, Canberra....

Ok, is it just me or do 'cheap renovators dreams' not really exist in the Canberra market?? Hubby and I are on the move from Brisbane to Canberra due to hubby's new job, and we want a renovator $250k-ish :)eek: I know!!).....but after searching on allhomes and realestate.com, I am getting a bit disillusioned!

Can anyone give me a heads up on "ugly duckling" areas, anywhere within 20 mins of Turner we'd be happy with.
Also, could anyone suggest any online reading on the Canberra market?? Any tips and opinions would be MUCHLY appreciated!!! :D

almost anywhere in canberra is 20 minutes from anywhere else..
Almost true actually... some extremes might take 30 mins (as long as you're travelling by car).

If you want renovators, maybe Queanbeyan would have more on offer. It's cheaper, with more bargains- but, to get solid value, I'd be looking at Canberra northside (Jerrabomberra may get better if they improve the traffic flow as promised).

Hi Homegirl

No, it's not you '"cheap renovators dreams' do not really exist in the Canberra market".

At least, not at the price you are talking about. An article in the Canberra Times last week noted that the cheapest stand alone house available on the allhomes website was $317,000 in Ngunnawal, Gungahlin. For $250,00 you would more likely be looking at a fairly basic 2 bedroom unit in the outer Canberra suburbs.

However, there are reasonable buys available but they take some searching. It's all relative to the market you are looking in. Some of the suburbs are being rejuvenated as people gradually start to renovate homes (ie Ainslie, Macquarie, Page, Dickson, O'connor) but even so you would be hard pressed to find a home for under $350,000. Even at $350,000 you would only get an original older home which needs work.

A recent article from the the Canberra Times, stated, in part:

Sunday, 11 February 2007

Robust property market can be destructive and unequal

CANBERRA has become a place where the property market defies gravity. The house prices in some suburbs are now what people might expect to pay in Sydney.
Late last year a property on Mugga Way, Red Hill, sold for over $3 million making it the most expensive house sold to date in the ACT.

Yet Canberra exists in a hinterland. Unlike a coastal Sydney suburb, there are endless tracts of land available for growth.

The question is whether enough of that land is being made available quickly enough to meet the demand. At the same time, Canberra's office market in January posted its lowest vacancy rate in 16years 1.8 per cent driven largely by a surge in demand by the Commonwealth Government for new office space.

There is no sign of the heated Canberra property market suddenly cooling on any level.

People both professionals and tradespeople are attracted to Canberra from all over Australia by its checklist of assets including career advancement, lifestyle, modern infrastructure and comparative safety. They all need somewhere to live and work.

It is hard to argue against a rising property market. It is an indicator of a robust economy, and people who own their own homes generally could not be happier even though interest rates remain high.

However, rising prices and rents also increase inequality and can be socially destructive.

Canberra's vacancy rate for rental properties is about 1per cent, with some real estate managers having no properties on their books available for rent. Renters have also been hit by sharp rental increases of up to 30 per cent in a year. Not many people have received weekly pay rises of the same order.

In a city of the wealthy, where price is a consequence of demand, the property boom is bringing financial and social disadvantage to the average person.

Any how, welcome to Canberra and good luck with the House hunting.

I don't know what is happening to Canberra
I have been trying to get a hotel room in the past couple of days and everything is booked out. I was lucky to find 1 room on monday night and then 1 more room in a different hotel on tuesday but tonight I had to travel to Batemans bay to find somewhere to stay.
Geoff forget selling subway footlongss
Maybe you need to start investing in serviced apartments....
Cheers

I have been trying to get a hotel room in the past couple of days and everything is booked out. I was lucky to find 1 room on monday night and then 1 more room in a different hotel on tuesday but tonight I had to travel to Batemans bay to find somewhere to stay.
Cheers

Yes, this is a bit of a worry, as we are thinking of renting/serviced apartment-ing (;) ) for a few weeks when we first arrive (as hubby's new job pays for a certain amount of interim accom as part of his relocation package) so we can take a few weeks to check out what's on offer and get a feel for a few suburbs. We have 2 small children (toddler and infant) so buying an apartment may not be the best option unless it was close to a park. Possibly a townhouse with a courtyard may be a better option. And we are not afraid of doing some major work on a place, as hubby has been working as a professional renovator for the past 2 years.

Hey GeoffW, that lake at Belconnen looks gorgeous from your pics, any hot tips on that suburb?? :D

Cheers

someone important was flying in last night. Not sure who, and not sure if i'm correct,

but my observation of AFP vehicles parked and observing boredly at major roundabouts frmo the airport to the big roundabout at Russell suggest such.

(It's very uncommon to see so many police vehicles at all, let alone in such a relatively short stretch of space, and looking so bored and disinterested, and not doing traffic work with cameras etc)

Since one doesn't buy property in Canberra but only leases property how do legal fees and stamp duty differ , if at all from other states?

Are the leases 99 years?

Does anyone have any impressions about the suburb of Condor?
I am beginning research currently for a 4 or 5 bedroom house.
I am only familiar with Canberra from 1974 until 1984 where macgregor was almost the outer most suburb.
I barely know the south side.

Legal fees are the same, stamp duty similar to other states EXCEPT that, for an investment property, you can claim the full stamp duty in the year in which it is incurred as a tax deduction.

The leases are 99 years- from the start of the lease. I had heard a story once, unconfirmed, that some of the older leases were being topped up.

The suburb is spelt Conder, which should help in your searches. I know little about it. www.allhomes.com.au is an excellent resource for ACT real estate.

The suburb is spelt Conder, which should help in your searches. I know little about it. www.allhomes.com.au is an excellent resource for ACT real estate.

Like Banks it's a largely featureless small-treed mortgage-belt suburb near the southern suburban limits.

Blocks are generally not as large as older areas.

It's first-homebuyer suburb that people move to as it's less expensive than elsewhere.

Miles from anywhere and limited transport, although it does have a shopping centre that also serves Gordon & Banks.

Its main advantage is that being comparatively new, homes will probably be post-87.

Peter

I think the lower end of the market in Canberra is inflating as rents are increasing and the vacancy rates means alot of people who can only 'just' afford to buy are doing so.

I agree Charnwood is probably the cheapest northside suburb to buy a stand alone renovator. I don't know about southside, but freestanding renovators dreams in greater Belconnen (the cheapest northside, established area) are well over the 300k mark (except in Charnwood). You might also look into the 30yr old townhouses that could do with a quick pick me up in the outer suburbs.

The price increases in Canberra lately are just phenomenal. Just yesterday a 120m2 3 bed renovator on my street sold for $340,000. This is less than 1 year after we paid $285,000 for our 120m2 3 bed renovator, which has a few extra features on the one down the street - ensuite, brick rather than metal garage, double brick construction etc.

I think the key for us was to find the latest 'boom' suburb (last year when we were buying it was Hawker-Scullin) and buy the next suburb over which then began to grow in popularity as the price boom in the suburb next door pushes buyers further from the city.

Regarding Condor - I don't know much about it but on allhomes there is a 'info' tab and if you type conder into the search box it will show you median house prices and demographic info. If you click on '2007' it will show all of the recent sales for the year.

Back