Canberra Serviced Apartment

Anyone owns these? SimonJulie? Was down in Canberra over the wend on an emergency trip. Wanted to rent a self serviced apartment last minute for the week. Admittedly I had no access to the net but even over the phone, only motels were left. Went through the yellow pages and was left with a 2 bed apartment at $290 a night or studio apartment for $99 a night (small 30m2 studio about 20 years old I reckon). These aren't even in centre of town. Everything was booked out!

Granted there was a triathlon going on (apparently) and Parliament is in session this week but someone told me some clients own serviced apartments that run at 80% occupancy rates. Canberrans all seem to think Canberra is a happening place, money talks and hence am tending to agree!

A friend of mine used to own one but got rid of it several years ago. The yield is OK but cap gains are ordinary.

I believe it is the managing companies that make all the $$'s. Not the investors !

Hi asdf

I've seen some people make some good money out of serviced apartments.

The most effective way was to find an empty apartment for rent, and to enter into a five year contract with the owner, furnish it with all the mod cons, and let it out as a serviced apartment.

The owner has a long term lease.

The occupier has a high standard furnished apartment- often something booked for some months in advace. (Not often years).

And the middle person picks up an income similar to the owner of the unit, with a MUCH smaller outlay.

But the middle person gets income, no growth.

I had investigated serviced apartments as a single deal (buy apartment, let established management run them) a few years ago. It was definitely CF++, (up to 10% return) with return guaranteed over a number of years. But there had been no capital growth (they were selling for the same price aas 10 years before), so we considered it a no go.

Yep, well said Geoff.

I don't like them, and avoid selling them to investors.
It's purely for cashflow that you would enter into these, capital is virtually non existent in most serviced apartments here.

Hi guys,

Where's hot right now in Canberra?

I only want to spend about 200-230k, and want to get a high rental yield.

Am I right in thinking inner city is the place to get higher rental returns?

Back