Cannot believe All Ords at 3500s

Some of the shares look ridiculously cheap for no reason ( I won't name them) and will survive this credit crunch. In the last 2 weeks the All Ords fell about 17%. Again for what reason? None of the aussie banks have fallen, unemployment is still below 5%, interest rates low and petrol prices falling so why all this doom? Fear feeds on fear?

Your post reads as if you think it's groundless fear. Why do you believe this? Me? I "fear" a train wreck and Australia is vulnerable.

Don't fight the tape..... You won't win.

Holey moley! Just had a sticky beak at my porfolio, down 36% and still dropping. :eek:

Its cashflow positive in divvies and franking credits and I have no reason to sell any atm so its just same, ole same ole. Share portfolios are supposed to be boring and for the most part mine is, except for the surprise I got today.

Note to self: Don't look at it for another 3mths at least. :D

Oz shares are undersold if you look at Oz in total isolation from the rest of the world ... but we aren't !
The boom over the last few years has been export driven, I believe.
So exports drop what will happen ?

There are so many reasons for the drops to happen ... do you think the RBA is dropping interest rates for no reason ?

I wouldn't expect divies to stay at old levels for too long !

I can believe all-ords at 3500. I can see 2700 at some stage.

Surprised our banks have fallen so hard. Suppose they are in the business that bad debts ultimately find their way back to.

I don't hold much hope for ANZ with Opes Prime litigation on top of all the other issues facing banks.

yes - fear feeds on fear which causes more fear. i watched a very interesting video of warren buffet. granted it is 6 weeks old (before congress passed the bailout) but he touches very poignently on this subject of fear and what is needed for a turnaround.

http://www.charlierose.com/view/interview/9284

Good interview. Found an oldie from 2007.
Interesting he has never had a contract dependent on a finance clause.

Good analogy using the athlete having cardiac arrest.

Last edited:
my porfolio, down 36% and still dropping. Its cashflow positive in divvies and franking credits
Unfortunately, as an investor, that's not good from a tax point of view. You're generating a carry-forward capital loss while still paying tax on the dividends (subject to other offsets from property, etc). Even worse, you're paying tax at the full rate on dividends while losing the benefit of the 50% CGT discount.

I have to say, if you still have around the same sized portfolio that you posted earlier on, a 36% capital loss would be making me nervous. That would be an awfully nice reno for my PPOR! :D

GP

Well the only shares i am holding at the moment is 4800 AZC shares worth a couple hundred. They went cash flow positive this year, so will hold on to them for a while to see what happens. If they go to $0 big deal i made some nice profits on trading NAB shares osince September.

Going to stay away at moment and just do some more learning.

Hi all,

Brenda, I can't believe you said this....

Note to self: Don't look at it for another 3mths at least.

Do you really think that when something is not going correctly this is the appropriate approach??

If something was going wrong with one of your properties, when you had lots, would you have said... Note to self: Don't look at it for another 3mths at least.??

Why not treat problems the same way??

I'm currently long shares, but not all shares. If the market proves me wrong, I'll be out in a very short time with a loss of only a couple of %.

bye

Back