Can't subdivide without demolishing existing dwelling

What would fellow people do and what are my options,

a property that I initially had interest and offered 20% below asking price, which had been on the market for 12-16 months, coincidentally, that got sold the day after I made my offer at full asking price has become availalble,

Im thinking about renovating it and either renting it out or selling it for hopefully a good price,

anyway, its in a quite good area, block size is 720sqm, this area, blocks of this size are fairly common, but not cheap, subdividing is fairly popular,

this property is in a good location, however noone has lived in it for 10-15 years, despite that, it seems structurally fine (will do inspection when required), kitchen is non existant, its dirty and gloomy, but a fairly big reno would make it be a top property,

my question is, the block itself is trangular in shape with a point backyard,

drive way is approx 2.6-2.7m, council requirements are min 3m

so without tearing the house down, subdividing is impossible unless council changes the rules,

This would make a great reno, however, I feel that I am wasting the potential of it, if it was torn down, it would fit 2 dwellings, of which I have no intentions of doing? would renovating actually do harm in the future, if say someone sees it says , "well its too nice of house to tear down, so not worth as much"

drive way is approx 2.6-2.7m, council requirements are min 3m
If this is the stumbling block I would look at "narrowing" the house enough to make it comply.

There are a lot in our area that have been altered this way to make the backyard suitable for subdivision or dual occupancy.

It wouldn't be that much work/cost on the overall deal.:)

If this is the stumbling block I would look at "narrowing" the house enough to make it comply.

There are a lot in our area that have been altered this way to make the backyard suitable for subdivision or dual occupancy.

It wouldn't be that much work/cost on the overall deal.:)

how on earth would you do that?? with a jack hammer???

PM you do realise that the planning rules can be altered if the situation fits? This happens quite commonly with old properties that were built 100 years ago prior to ResCode etc.

Maybe a reno and granny flat/self contained unit at the back and don't subdivide. Could be quite a nice yield play.

Not sure if that alleviates the side drive issue though. Never been in a position of developing so I don't know how legitimate the option is of subdividing with less than 3m. My initial reaction was that this sounds like VCAT territory.

Here's an example, if you look at the roof line you will see it is square on the RH side, this one has been narrowed a fair bit.

In your case, going by your measurements, it may only need the eave cut off to comply.

A little work, but minor in the overall scheme of things.

Attachments

• Dual Occ..jpg
    Dual Occ..jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 79
Back