can't wait

Friday we received the concept drawings of our next PPoR from the designer, and I have to say it looks fantastic!

We've been glued to them since then every spare second; doing measurements in our lounge room with a tape measure and a ruler on the drawings to get ideas of scale, working out where certain furniture might go, adding notes and alterations etc. great fun!

It's an unusual situation where we have a long, narrower block with a covenant restricting how far down the block we can build so as not to block out next door neighbor's bay views (and we have one on theirs for any future build on their block).

No worries, but the designer initially thought it may be tough to get everything we wanted into the building envelope, so we were a bit nervous.

She managed it no problems and didn't have to scrimp on room sizes etc. Could have made it slightly bigger as it turns out, but the same design wouldn't have fitted I guess.

There are a few little changes and re-shuffles to talk with her about, but basically she's nailed it in one go as far as we are concerned.

I dreamed of house building and plans last night.

We're getting very excited and can't wait to build it now.

But this won't happen until we sell the existing PPoR at the end of NEXT year, and I'm not wishing my life away...much.

Anyone else doing a similar thing?

Good for you, Marc, I can't wait until I get to the stage where I can afford to build the house of my dreams. (Though my dreams keep growing. ;))

Have you got any plans or pictures you'd like to share?

Good for you, Marc, I can't wait until I get to the stage where I can afford to build the house of my dreams. (Though my dreams keep growing. ;))

Have you got any plans or pictures you'd like to share?

Once you get this purchase put to bed in the US I'd say the dream home won't be too far away, hey Trace??

I've got the concept drawings, but I'll have to check with the designer that it's ok to post them here, as there are copyrights on their use.

If it's all clear with the designer then I'll put 'em up for those who are interested.

We're getting very excited and can't wait to build it now.

But this won't happen until we sell the existing PPoR at the end of NEXT year, and I'm not wishing my life away...much.

Anyone else doing a similar thing?

What the ????
How can you wait till the end of NEXT year to start?
Global Financial Crisis might have turned into Global Warming Meltdown by then!!
Nothing like planning ahead I guess??

We're doing the same thing.
Been stuffing around with layouts and concepts since the start of the year.
Finally 90% happy with it now and in the process of turning the concept into working dwgs.

Maybe we should all post dwgs here and swap ideas?

I'm going green, sustainable, plus enlisting solar principles.
Aim is to build a zero energy house that generates or saves all the energy and water inputs its requires to sustain the occupants.

I'm no greenie but I do believe we have to start taking seriously the cost of what housing does to the landscape.

kp

What the ????
How can you wait till the end of NEXT year to start?
Global Financial Crisis might have turned into Global Warming Meltdown by then!!
Nothing like planning ahead I guess??

By the time we get final drawings done, then go to Council for permits, soil tests, clearing the block of trees - there are greenie issues there - we will probably have to do some replanting to compensate, research stuff for the pool, decks, window and door types (double glazing) and every other little thing this will easily take another 6-10 months.

Then there are quotes from builders to get, block has to be excavated (on a slope), pool area set up before house starts (limited rear access after house is completed) etc.

We also have to sell the existing PPoR which has tenants in it until July, and we want to do some cosmetic renos on it before putting it on the market for next Spring/Summer. The reno will take around 3-4 months to complete - deck extension, landscaping, painting etc.

What the ????

Maybe we should all post dwgs here and swap ideas?

kp

Fantastic idea! I'd love to see the progress of everyone's dream homes being created along with innovative ideas. My friends are currently building there dream home with Ross North - it's coming along really quickly and very inspiring!

I can't wait to see some info on it too.

Can you give us a bit of a teaser i.e. how many bedrooms, is it open plan, one level or two levels etc????

Wow... congrats to you guys who are building your dream home.
I'm looking forward to the day i get to do the same, but i have to admit it is a while off yet.

It's really refreshing to hear people are implementing renewable energy sources and conservational designs into their homes. Hopefully one day this will become the standard.

I can't wait to see some info on it too.

Can you give us a bit of a teaser i.e. how many bedrooms, is it open plan, one level or two levels etc????

OK, a bit of detail for starters;

It's on a sloping block, facing north towards the Bay and the city skyline.

Block is only 15.5 m wide, and 57m deep.

There is a covenant restricting how far down the block we can build, hence the difficulty in getting a decent sized house (and garage) on the building envelop allowing for normal set-backs and height restrictions etc.

We've ended up with a house and garage and decks with a combined size of 287 sq/m, and it's over 3 levels. So it's not massive, but the decks at the rear of the house facing the bay are quite big and designed to be used frequently and add more living space both up and downstairs. It's big enough for us; our current PPoR is only 24 squares, and we've been living in a 1 bed apartment in the USA for the last 3 years, and now renting a 2 bed apartment.

The garage for the new house is at the top of the block near the road, and set into the ground below the natural fall line. It'll be on a slab. The block slopes down away from the road towards the Bay.

The main entrance is at this same level, which includes a study and garage entry, with a series of steps leading up and down to the other levels. The rest of the house will be on concrete footings I suppose.

From here you go up some steps to the main level, where the kitchen, dining, lounge, master bed and ensuite are. This leads out to the upper deck. There is also another level going back up over the top of the main entrance and garage, with a sitting room, guest bed and ensuite.

The main entrance also leads down to another level with bedrooms and lounge, bar, laundry etc, facing onto back deck and pool - 3 levels in all.

It's mainly open plan on the upper level, while downstairs there is a main loungeroom and bar area, with a hallway each side; one leading off to the other 2 bedrooms, and the other hallway leading off to the bathroom and laundry area.

Sounds fab (and pretty massive to me, for someone who's renting a PPOR that's 9 squares)

Make sure you have enough power points in the rooms!

Dont forget the projector + home theatre for the bar, as well as some mega recliners.

Beer + movies/xbox + massif screen = win.
... or the weekend alternative....
beer + bbq + mates + footy + massif screen = win

Here's a few pics of the block as is, looking North towards the Bay. They are from ground level which doesn't have the same views. Upstairs will be where the really great views are.
I'll get a few pics from our neighbor's deck to show what the real view is like.

Attachments

• 2008_0830block0009.jpg
    2008_0830block0009.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 62
  • 2008_0830block0010.jpg
    2008_0830block0010.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 59
  • 2008_0830block0008.jpg
    2008_0830block0008.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Back