Living Areas - 400 sqm block

Hi All

I am working on sizes for a block I have where I will be building 4x2, to also include 2 living areas - so we have kitchen/family/dining room, and then at the front of the house either lounge/theatre room.

The designer has the lounge/theatre room at 3.7 x 3.7, I think that is way too small?? What is ideal space??

Also, the kitchen/dining/family areas he has allowed 7.2 x 5.5.

Its hard for me to look at a drawing and visualise the space. Any comments on these sizes would be appreciated.

From my last post regarding bedroom sizes, I will be averaging 3.5 x 3.1, larger for master bedroom.

I meet up with him on Wednesday, so nothing is set in concrete yet.

Many thanks

MTR:)

I personally prefer my theatre to have at least 4 m width. I think 4x4 is a good size for a theatre, but if you don't have space for that, I'd try to get the size as close to it as possible.
The theatre size for our build is 3.8x4, think that size is adequate for an IP.

My 400m2 build will have bedroom sizes of 3x3m. Open plan kitchen, dining and lounge downstairs. And second lounge upstairs. Upstairs lounge will be slightly bigger than the bedroom sizes.

I personally prefer my theatre to have at least 4 m width. I think 4x4 is a good size for a theatre, but if you don't have space for that, I'd try to get the size as close to it as possible.
The theatre size for our build is 3.8x4, think that size is adequate for an IP.

Thanks, I would think 4x4 would be reasonable size for theatre, are theatres still popular?? I suppose the main thing is to have 2 living areas for resale.

If I have to choose between 2 living or a theatre, I'd pick 2 living.
Not sure about popularity of theatre rooms on the market, maybe others can comment. Imo, having a "theatre" itself is not important (you can watch tv in the living room), but it's practical to have a multipurpose room in the house. The room can be modified into another bedroom, a study room, an entertainment room, a games room, a gym room, a storage room, children play area/nursery, etc. We included a theatre with this reasoning in mind.

I'm a bit of a cinema nerd, and have a fully decked out one in my PPOR, with tiered seating, insulation, ceiling bulkheads, and wiring etc.

most ones I see in other homes are marginal at best. Acoustically a square room is a no-no, but I expect most buyers won't know that. I think for a property like you're planning, keep it multi use. Legit home theaters are for big houses with lots of space and theatre rooms are in basements or other tucked away places, and I suspect only slightly value adding in those situations. I think if you restrict use in a small IP you're limiting your market, and therefore potential return.

I prefer living rooms... I like the idea of theatre rooms, but they're so poorly executed that I don't consider most of them theatre rooms anyway.

I don't think you'll be able to end up with all rooms of the best size.

The room I probably would compromise on is the second living. I'm trying to remember the size of the Theatre on Gwelup - I think it was 3.x by 4

It was basically a multi purpose room - could be a small lounge, kids activity room, study, theatre or even another bedroom

Is the living/kitchen all in a row? I like 10m for kitchen, meals and living. Anything less long doesn't work well. If it's not in a line, ie L shaped etc then the dimensions change

PS I just looked at your plans again and the 7.2 x 5.5 doesn't include the kitchen, it's just that for meals and dining which is quite good. I wouldn't go smaller than 7. The 5.5 is very nice

I don't think you'll be able to end up with all rooms of the best size.

The room I probably would compromise on is the second living. I'm trying to remember the size of the Theatre on Gwelup - I think it was 3.x by 4

It was basically a multi purpose room - could be a small lounge, kids activity room, study, theatre or even another bedroom

Is the living/kitchen all in a row? I like 10m for kitchen, meals and living. Anything less long doesn't work well. If it's not in a line, ie L shaped etc then the dimensions change

Myf
I think those theatre rooms looked pretty decent sizes, looked larger than 3x4

living/kitchen L shaped. I think if you have 10m in a line its massive impact, looks great, I notice that my villas are L shaped and cuts the area

PS I just looked at your plans again and the 7.2 x 5.5 doesn't include the kitchen, it's just that for meals and dining which is quite good. I wouldn't go smaller than 7. The 5.5 is very nice

I posted before I read this.
That's good, thanks.
I am just throwing some ideas out there to try to improve on what I have. If I do go ahead with the build then I will be looking for a draftee that can do some magic.

Cheers

Our theatre room is 3 x 3.5. The 3.5m wall has a 96inch projector screen on it (we had a 100inch but the projector was a little too close to project fully on the screen). We have a theatre recliner lounge in there and all the speakers/amplifiers etc on the floor under the screen and there is sufficient room for a few bean bags in front of the lounge.

I've just requested tenders for the construction of a project home on a 400sq block. The floor plan I like the most is a 29sq double storey that has a media/lounge room 3200 x 3250. Still has plenty of space at the rear of the house for a reasonable sized open plan kitchen/living/dining.

So I think 3.7 x 3.7 would be fine if you only want one defined seating row.

Thanks everyone for feedback just passed this on to the builder/designer Ventura ID to finalise and quote.

Will report back. This will be around 220 sqm home.

Cheers

Back