Car Leasing -cash flow

Care to share how it costs you nothing ? :confused:

I thought the example i gave showed that!?!

To simplify... Expenses i have to pay each week, whether i have a new car or old, are deducted before tax. That saving in tax pays the lease payment on the car!

So it works out the same whether i have a car with no finance over it and pay the expenses post-tax; or drive my 5 year old V10 twin turbo Touareg (apparently a 'clanger') and pay the expenses pre-tax!!

*Example true in my case only. Please obtain independant advice.

Last edited:
To simplify... Expenses i have to pay each week, whether i have a new car or old, are deducted before tax. That saving in tax pays the lease payment on the car!

So it works out the same whether i have a car with no finance over it and pay the expenses post-tax; or drive my 5 year old V10 twin turbo Touareg (apparently a 'clanger') and pay the expenses pre-tax!!

I find this difficult to understand ...

You are saying that your tax savings cover your lease repayments on a Touareg ???? Could you perhaps show a little more breakdwon in details so me and others here can understand ?

Ok

This is a simplified/hypothetical version of events.

Example 1:
I own a car out-right. My running expenses for that particular car are $200 per week. Paid for after paying tax.
End of story!

Example 2:
A lease arrangement.
My running expenses are still $200 per week, but deducted pre-tax. Let's say i save $60 in tax. After tax, my running expenses are $140. The $60 i have saved is my lease re-payment. (I neglected to mention that the lease is for the DEPRECIATION on the car - my mistake!)
At the end of the lease i either pay out the remaining value of the car, and keep it, or trade it in on a later model and begin a new lease.

So you're not actually paying the car off, which may take some getting used to, but you do get a car for the lease period for 'free'.

Hope this makes sense!

Cheers
Locko

OK - so $60 savings per week x 52 weeks = $3,120.

Your are then saying your lease costs are $3,120 per year using example above ? Correct ?

OK - so $60 savings per week x 52 weeks = $3,120.

Your are then saying your lease costs are $3,120 per year using example above ? Correct ?

Correct, for the above example.
So if the km travelled increases (running costs), or the tax rate is higher, the higher the repayment that it would cover.

At 5 years cars are pretty much at the end of their economic life and ready to be taken on by people who have the time and patience to take a chance on them and endure the headaches of breakdowns, costly repairs etc.

You sound like a Ford man...

Get yourself a Toyota and you will not be saying cars are at the end of their economic life at 5 years.

You sound like a Ford man...

Get yourself a Toyota and you will not be saying cars are at the end of their economic life at 5 years.

nope - just a realist. new cars are so cheap and the deals can be so good and there is a big pool of buyers to sell into at the lower price point for a 5 year old car that ibelieve they sell above their intrinsic value. A mate just sold his wifes 3 year old Rav.. I think it ended up costing him about $3k a year all in for servicing, tyres, depreciation, the lot. Why stuff around with old cars for that sort of money? Anyway i shouldn;t be trying to change behaviour... buy up all those old cars people!! I have a 4.5 year old CX7 if someone is looking for low mileage good as new car, driven by a little old lady to the shops once a week... years of trouble free motoring ahead :D

We are very new to novated leasing and I'm still getting my head around the FBT and other tax implications before we decide to go ahead.

For those of you with a novated lease and investment properties, is there anything I need to be aware of in terms of the effect on my overall tax or ITWV?

Off the top of my head, lease payments pre-tax will reduce my taxable income and this may potentially affect which tax bracket I fall into when taking into account any negative gearing as well?

Will the lease company need to take this into account when calulating the package?

If you can (legitimately) assert that you are an itinerant worker (as I am) for tax purposes, you can do better than a novated lease by buying outright and tax deducting the business proportion of running costs provided your proportion of business use is over about 70%.

I am doing this with my new WRX I bought this year. Because I am required to attend multiple places of work during the day, including working from my home office, my business use proportion of total vehicle use is about 80%. Thus, I can deduct 80% of all vehicle costs, including:
* Petrol
* Tyres
* Servicing
* Rego
* Insurance
* Interest on the loan (if applicable)
* Depreciation of the vehicle

And the best bit? NO FBT! Also, I can do whatever I want with the vehicle and am not bound by lease break costs or similar hassles should I decide I no longer want the vehicle, or wish to use a different vehicle.

Also, I only do about 15,000 km per year.

Sage, if you novate a lease the lease company will not take anything else in to account. My bank looked at my taxable income, I salary sacrifice nearly a grand a fortnight, so on paper my income is not wonderful. When I pointed out my salary sacrifice and what I sacrificed they actually took that in to account as income. The bank guy was envious as he could not sacrifice as much as I could.

The grand a fortnight I sacrifice is not just my novated lease, there are several things I do.

Figure breakdown for lease, sorry no idea. I love the fact I pull up at the bowser and never have to have cash it just goes on my fuel card, any expenses at all just get authorisations and I do not see the bill, except for car rego and insurance, I pay for them, claim and the money is in the bank in no time, pre tax wonderous. When my lease runs out next year I will be getting another new car. Sure I have a payout figure for the car, but considering it will be a 5 year old Toyota Conquest think I will get more then my pay out figure back when I sell it.

If you can (legitimately) assert that you are an itinerant worker (as I am) for tax purposes, you can do better than a novated lease by buying outright and tax deducting the business proportion of running costs provided your proportion of business use is over about 70%.

I am doing this with my new WRX I bought this year. Because I am required to attend multiple places of work during the day, including working from my home office, my business use proportion of total vehicle use is about 80%. Thus, I can deduct 80% of all vehicle costs, including:
* Petrol
* Tyres
* Servicing
* Rego
* Insurance
* Interest on the loan (if applicable)
* Depreciation of the vehicle

And the best bit? NO FBT! Also, I can do whatever I want with the vehicle and am not bound by lease break costs or similar hassles should I decide I no longer want the vehicle, or wish to use a different vehicle.

Also, I only do about 15,000 km per year.

Good to know VY (not applicable to me now ut good to know.

Simplicity is sometimes the best

Back