Car Repair Costs-Just Checking

Heading off on a tangent...

It might be nonsense, but I was talking to an NRMA (RAC?) bloke once. It was a rainy day and I said, "I bet you guys hate being rostered on in this weather.'

He said the shift they all hate is Sunday afternoon. That's when all the guys who have a go - and fail - at fixing their own car call up because they need the car Monday morning to go to work.

I'm guessing the DIY mechanics get on the phone to book an NRMA visit and just say the car won't start but they don't know why. It wouldn't be till the bloke arrives that it becomes clear the car won't start because there are bits of the motor on the floor of the garage.

ha ha, thats gold !

Heading off on a tangent...

It might be nonsense, but I was talking to an NRMA (RAC?) bloke once. It was a rainy day and I said, "I bet you guys hate being rostered on in this weather.'

He said the shift they all hate is Sunday afternoon. That's when all the guys who have a go - and fail - at fixing their own car call up because they need the car Monday morning to go to work.

I'm guessing the DIY mechanics get on the phone to book an NRMA visit and just say the car won't start but they don't know why. It wouldn't be till the bloke arrives that it becomes clear the car won't start because there are bits of the motor on the floor of the garage.
We get that a fair bit; cars brought in because they are running rough etc.

The mechanics can tell immediately after they open the bonnet, or look underneath etc that the car has been played with by someone.

We ask them when they come to get the car after it's been repaired, and they deny it, or crack dumb etc. Occasionally one will fess up.

Second time around 200,000km's - is usually a timing belt kit - includes tensioners etc. May have hydraulic tensioners which is more expensive.

I do remember the word kit being used but maybe that was to do with the clutch which I'm also getting done - it's slipping, or maybe 'kit' was used for both. Certainly something else is being done at the same time, just can't remember what.

We priced up a kit for a '95 Subaru Liberty a few days ago - $365 for normal tensioners, $550 with hydraulic tensioners, plus allow about 3 hours for labour - $300 approx. Subaru's are typically not cheap compared to yer Laser, so maybe there's other things involved such as waterpump as was mentioned.

So, there's easily $650 for that car - your quote may have been for 4 hours labour, or other bits, or more cost for labour per hour etc.

By the way; we have a standing joke at our workshop - if it's got a 19 in front of the date; it's "Below the Yellow Line".

Not actually a joke either; most cars of this vintage are not far off costing you plenty, and the car's worth about $600-$1000 at best.

Food for thought.
I know what you're saying.
I thought long and hard before getting these repairs. Car = $2500. Spend $600 on clutch, $700 on timing belt, $442 on 4 new tyres and tune up and the car is still worth $2500! Can't afford a new car and even a decent 2nd hand car would cost me about $7000 which I didn't fancy forking out for at the moment. Also thought 'better the devil you know' - won't know the 2nd hand cars history etc.............. It hurt either way but this was the cheaper option.

I know what you're saying.
I thought long and hard before getting these repairs. Car = $2500.
If it was in excellent condition in every aspect.

Have you checked out the likely value of your car on carsales.com.au? Look at sold cars; not asking prices.

I would guess the trade in value as is would be $500-$1000 if lucky.

Private sale; you will need a roadworthy and being a car of that age; expect a bill of $500 without too much effort, plus the roadworthy inspection fee of around $150 these days, and so on.

Any prospective buyer will need this; either you pay, or they will deduct it off the purchase price most likely.

I'm looking around at cheap cars to act as a short term thing.

A late 90s Laser in decent registered condition still gets around 3k.

Trade in prices are nothing on cars like that because it's not profitable enough to sell them on. But that doesn't mean that is there value.

A good indication of what the market is willing to pay is not carsales. It's ebay. Keep an eye on them. Sometimes I am amazed at what older mid size cars go for.

I do remember the word kit being used but maybe that was to do with the clutch which I'm also getting done - it's slipping, or maybe 'kit' was used for both. Certainly something else is being done at the same time, just can't remember what.

Heck, I'd hate to be doing the timing belt and clutch at the same time - at different ends of the engine!

The Y-man

Back