Caravan Hints, Tips and Stories for a family considering buying one !

We bought a second hand Jayco Eagle camper trailer for $13000 for a 6 month trip up the east coast of Oz. We loved every bit of the trip and living in the van. Once settled again we sold it as we needed some cash. It was probably 18 months after we purchased it and we sold it for $14000. Will buy again some day.

We bought a second hand Jayco Eagle camper trailer for $13000 for a 6 month trip up the east coast of Oz. We loved every bit of the trip and living in the van. Once settled again we sold it as we needed some cash. It was probably 18 months after we purchased it and we sold it for $14000. Will buy again some day.

Yep, look after vans/campers and they hold their value really well, not like a car. Even from new they don't lose as much as you'd think.

I'd guess my dove jayco camper, which cost 17 k new would still be worth 13k, and it's done a lot of work.

See ya's.

wylie - i went to a time share seminar, did the maths and worked out it wasn't worth it.

I think the reason it has been so worth it for my brother is that with five children, they would have to book two rooms in most places which doubles their cost, or pay extra for each extra bed per night, which also adds up quickly.

Their resort is first class, with all the bells and whistles and use of so much equipment, spas, pools, sauna, skis, paddles, boards etc.

It is not my cup of tea to go to the same place year after year, but for a big family, there is absolutely no way they could holiday for two weeks in peak Christmas season for the pittance that they are paying, due to the fact that they bought so long ago.

I must admit that we gave them a bit of curry when they bought in, thinking they were "suckered" but it has been a fantastic purchase for his family.

Tips

For a Jayco campervan – Have a list of what needs to be packed in the van and stock it while it is up. Otherwise you need to crawl around in the small floor space when it is down.

Don’t cook meat in your van. The smell tends to stay with the curtains and upholstery. Much better resale if you don’t. Buy a small BBQ and cook outside.

Make sure you have bed flys for wet weather.

Fridge needs to be perfectly level to work properly, so buy a level and ensure when you set up the campervan that it is level.

Some models come with a queen size bed one end and a double bed the other end. I think they have improved the mattresses since we owned one.

You will probably need electric brakes in your towing vehicle. Also check your towbar ball weight can handle the weight of the campervan.

Each model has a different layout, so consider this carefully before you buy. There is not a lot of cupboard space in campervans, so pack lightly.

We enjoyed owning a Jayco Eagle Outback campervan, but love our caravan more. We only started camping about 3 years ago. Since that time we have taken up waterskiing and now camp around 6 or 7 times a year. Most long weekends and a couple of 10 day trips. Just come back from a 3 week camp from the dam about 2 weeks ago. We found the van much quicker to set up than the campervan. Now all we need to do is level the van and pull out the roll out awning then go skiing. For the longer camps, we have an 18ft tarp which is our annex. This takes longer to set up, but is worth it. We spend very little time inside. Just sleeping and boiling the billy. We go camping to enjoy the great outdoors. No electronic gadgets (except a radio). We also bought a generator as we camp in un-powered areas at the dam.

Hope this helps.

Kinga

Thanks Kinga, it sounds like you really enjoy it. I am sure we are all going to as well

Well we went out last weekend and ordered our Jayco Swan in thier runout sale and now I have to wait 8 weeks to get it aaarrrhhh. I have already booked our Easter weekend away in Batemans Bay in our powered ensuite site..hehe

And today we sold our boat so now I can pay for it woohoo !!

this reminds me of an idea i had about 20 ahem !years ago i was in my late teens and thought that if on could travel up and down the east coast just buying the onsite vans that were forsale untill you had four or so vans in every town, and then advertise the group to let for both long or short term tennants sales reps and holliday makers it would be a great cash cow?? never went further than that though,

Hi,
I'm one of those partners that constantly pestered my wife to purchase a caravan.After a number of years she finally relented.We have 2 small children 7 and 10.We bought a second hand caravan and set out caravanning.After a year of owning it we had visited heaps of caravan parks and National Parks.We met a lot of great people and rediscovered the long weekend,short weekend (overnight) and longer beach stays.The maximum we have ever paid per night was $55 which was a ensuite site.The caravan parks of today are mini resorts.They have heated pools,outdoor pools,kids clubs,playgrounds,jumping pillows,etc.They have camp kitchens.You meet great people every night,your kids play with other kids quickly.The cost of eating there is cheap you are cooling with others at the BBQ (great place to meet people).I've stayed at motels and rented accomadation and it seem to sterile and the costs when staying at a motel are high ie accom and food.We have recently upgraded our caravan to a Windsor 08 Model with bunks and a queen size bed,best investment.We have just returned from Badgers Creek Healsville for 9 days.Fantastic.

Hi Mike, no probs to ask I have sent you a PM of what we paid !

Hi Brisbane, That is exactly what I love to hear, can't wait to go away at a drop of a hat for under $100.

You never now Craigb there is still time they say it is a growing market, can you get something for Australia Day and let me know lol

Back