My Latest Reno : Our "new" 1978 Caravan

We have been wanting a caravan for a while now and have been hiring different types of family caravans to "try before We Buy".

Our Must have list for a caravan was:

tandem axle
bunks for the kids
double bed (not east /west facing)
toilet / shower (if Possible)
annexe

We had our hearts set on a Jayco Basestation because it ticked all the boxes but with a price tag of around $45000.00 I was having trouble justifying spending that amount of money.

I would much rather put that money into IP 2 so we decided to look at cheaper options.

Unfortunately finding an older caravan with bunks is like finding a needle in a haystack.

We were becoming a bit disheartened until last week when my parents found the perfect van for us. They have been looking online and in the papers for us and we managed to score the bargain of the century.

We just bought a van and it ticks all the boxes. Bunks , double bed, tandem, licensed, annexe - (even has toilet and shower) for the bargain price of $6400.00:D

We have nick named it "The Time Machine".......as soon as you step inside you're instantly transported back to 1978:D

Anyway hubby has suggested we tart it up a bit to make it more modern looking but the more I think about it I think I want to keep it original colours and add some retro cushions and curtains etc, what do you think?

Attachments

• IMG_0294[1].jpg
    IMG_0294[1].jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 236
  • IMG_0293[1].jpg
    IMG_0293[1].jpg
    87 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_0292[1].jpg
    IMG_0292[1].jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG_0291[1].jpg
    IMG_0291[1].jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG_0295[1].jpg
    IMG_0295[1].jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 195
My first boat was built in the 70s.

Lime green, brown and orange furnishings. Everybody loved it.

Embrace the retro and start looking out for kitchen canisters, linen etc to complement it :)

retro it right up.

orange or lime benchtops.

floral curtains.

wool berber shag pile carpet.

light tan wood coloured laminate.

yumyum

We had our hearts set on a Jayco Basestation because it ticked all the boxes but with a price tag of around $45000.00 I was having trouble justifying spending that amount of money.

what do you think?
Looks good ,there was a inbalance in the adds on most caravans for sale sites about six months ago,but now most are private sales 60%-40% dealers something you just purchased in Brisbane at the auctions goes above 6k with no rego or safety certs,well bought..imho..

Thanks guys,

Deep down I have always really wanted a vintage caravan like this......reminds me so much of my childhood! (can't believe these vans are now vintage,makes me feel old:D)

I loved loved loved my childhood because my parents and grandparents had onsite vans at a caravan park in mandurah and almost every weekend, school holidays, Easter, Christmas, etc we were there and I rememberr those times as some of the best times of my life. It was so great to just spend time together going fishing, crabbing, riding our bikes,playing, exploring......

I really want to give my kids the same experiences and I'm now so happy that we can do that

Sometimes I feel I get so obsessed with being financially independent that I forget what's really important .....spending time with the people I love !

I will post pics as the transformation progresses....

Was at the swap meet this morning and found some old 70's Tupperware but kept walking when the guy said he wanted $8 for both.......:confused:

I think I'm still in bargain mode as I still can't believe we got this caravan with everything we wanted for only ......$6400.00

Will air..... We have been looking at vans all over oz and even contemplated driving over to queensland or adelaide because they are so much cheaper over there (about $5000 cheaper ) and a lot more to choose from but once you pay transport costs or fuel and accommodation it was not feasible.

Looks fine as it is!

Few things I'd definitely do -

Upgrade stove and friidge.

Check the tyres for perishing on inside walls/shoulders.

Caravans tend to spend a lot of their life sitting around, I've found, and the tyres disintegrate even though not being used.

The bearings are probably shot as well...does it have brakes? Get them checked too..

Anything older than 1990 (1995, actually - cars especially) is "below the yellow line", so remember that - unless someone has already spent a fortune on fixing those areas (not usually)..

We see lots of older caravans and trailers through our place due to this....

Thanks BV,

If lived closer I would bring it down for you to check the tyres:D

So far looks like everything is in good working order........even the aircon works!

Hubby has been away and hasn't had a chance to get underneath it yet and have a good look

Anything older than 1990 (1995, actually - cars especially) is "below the yellow line", so remember that - unless someone has already spent a fortune on fixing those areas (not usually)..

We see lots of older caravans and trailers through our place due to this....

does your yellow line go a year higher every year? or is it to do with production runs / styles of cars?

our family caravan was as old as the hills when we got it in the late 70's. It had batman style lights at the back, would be worth quite a bit now probably. It's weird, just typing this I can recall the smell of it... old vinyl I suspect

Thanks BV,

If lived closer I would bring it down for you to check the tyres:D

So far looks like everything is in good working order........even the aircon works!

Hubby has been away and hasn't had a chance to get underneath it yet and have a good look
We'd come and pick it up, but I don't think we'd get it done and back to you by the end of the day. :D (bit far from Melb to W.A)

Last edited:
does your yellow line go a year higher every year? or is it to do with production runs / styles of cars?
Good question.

It's mostly an age (and mileage) thing, but there are some cars out there which are a "yellow line" car no matter what their age.

ATM our yellow line is generally, anything older than 2000 is a strong candidate, and anything pre-1995 is a definite.

Anything with 200,000km's on the clock or more - strong candidate.

Of course, there are many cars this age/mileage which are good, but the generality is...most are starting to wear and get old.

Back