Tips on buying a Caravan / Camper Trailer

Hi All,

I'm looking for tips when buying a Camper trailer.

Now I know some people will say, the best tip would be, don't !! Which is fair enough :)
The sort of camping we are looking at doing is non 4wd type. Going to camp grounds where there are toilets and water, caravan parks etc......

We are looking at doing a road trip about the middle of next year up the guts of NSW and QLD to Townsville, then wind our way back to Melb via the coast.

The type of Camper I am thinking about is the Jayco Swan http://www.jayco.com.au/#/Products/Camper_Trailers/Nav_1_Z/Overview_bwith a full annexe. Any thoughts? I would be buying 2nd hand.

We love the idea of hooking up the van and going away for weekends, so it would get used. I have hired one a couple of times and they work really well.

Love to get some feedback.

Cheers

GG

I would think the jayco swan would do a great job for what you are looking at doing.

If it was just you and the wife, I'd get something that doesn't have the pop out ends. So it would be a faster to set up on arrival.

If you were doing vast k's up rough gravel roads you'd get a proper off-road flip out camper trailer.

I have a poptop jayco, and we go camping a few times a year, but mainly to remote spots near a river, and set up camp for a week and stay. It is great for that, as it accomodates 5 fine, as in 2 adults and 3 kids. We have a roof rack on top and load that up with canoes and kayaks.

You will get sick and tired of setting up the full annex just for an overnight stop. Takes a lot of time. It's just not worth the effort. Maybe set it up only if you plan on staying a few nights. I've taken mine off and don't use it. If it's just an overnight I put up one of those quick set up marquee things, or if I'm staying a week I set up a full sized tarp that covers the whole camper plus gives a heap more room. I hate those annexes they come with.

We are looking at doing a road trip about the middle of next year up the guts of NSW and QLD to Townsville, then wind our way back to Melb via the coast.

GG

Your not going in the middle of winter are you? We put the camping on hold from May to September, as it's just not enjoyable being cold. Rule number one, don't camp in winter. Never ever.

See ya's.

Last edited:
We prefer camping in winter as summer is way too hot up here and Qld has cyclones. Winter is the dry season up north, Summer rains. Winter is awesome in Qld.

You will not require an off road camper if staying on bitumin roads, however be warned that Qld's roads are in terrible condition after the floods, even worse than their poor reputation compared to Victorian roads. We have always taken ordinary cars and flip-out campers into Carnarvon Gorge, for example, but not recently so I cant comment on the road these days.

If you do not have kids, I would not be getting a camper that has the swing out sides. I am told (I dont have one) they are both cold and wet. My friends recently got an older camper that just pops straight up. It takes five minutes to put up and they sleep on the bed and their grand-daughter sleeps at the other end, all inside the main van area.

Hi All,

I'm looking for tips when buying a Camper trailer.

Now I know some people will say, the best tip would be, don't !! Which is fair enough :)
The sort of camping we are looking at doing is non 4wd type. Going to camp grounds where there are toilets and water, caravan parks etc......

The type of Camper I am thinking about is the Jayco Swan http://www.jayco.com.au/#/Products/Camper_Trailers/Nav_1_Z/Overview_bwith a full annexe. Any thoughts? I would be buying 2nd hand.

We love the idea of hooking up the van and going away for weekends, so it would get used. I have hired one a couple of times and they work really well.

Love to get some feedback.

Cheers

GG
Have a look in the auctions,you can pick up a high-top,pop-top toyota 1997 onwards for 9-11k ex-hire,they have high klm's but most motors i have seen have less then 30klm,s trading post has a few from 11k..

Your not going in the middle of winter are you? We put the camping on hold from May to September, as it's just not enjoyable being cold. Rule number one, don't camp in winter. Never ever.

See ya's.

Well, the plan for the big trip was to go around August / sept, QLD (where we will spend most of the time) is meant to be the best at this time.

GG

I should mention, we have 5 kids.

Mum + 2 girls + youngest boy would sleep in the camper. And the two older boys and myself would sleep in the annexe / tent.

GG

Dont get an A-Van. My parents have one and though it is a good van, warranty on them is next to impossible now they have removed the service agent network and do it themselves. Theirs has been in for over 3 months and still not done.

get one that either has standard 14-15inch ford/holden pattern wheels, that you can get for $small at any country wrecker,
or have it built with the same wheels as your car/
basic van wheels are pathetic, 13 inch, under-rated 80km/h 400kg load, overloaded as soon as you fill the water
carry 2 spares
outback,, recovery charges are exorbitant, the tow guy only has to do 1 to make a weeks wages
yesterday I did 300km round trip 4 hours to install replace a broken clutch, after a breakdown at the next roadhouse.
Renner Springs don't have a fixer, advertising for one, (anybody looking for work outback towns have heaps,) but for the moment its me, from 150k away
& the only bloke who would go on a Saturday,, dunno how much, but,, bet it cost

August and September - that seems good then. August can be a bit chilly with the westerly winds but otherwise the weather will be great. I don t know anyone personally who has a swan, so I cant comment on them specifically. Have a great trip GG.

We use to have the Jayco dove and we upgraded to the Jayco expanda,its just an offroad 16' version,
We bought it new in 2006 and its been a good van,

I actually had a petrol pajero and it had trouble towing it so I bought a diesel pajero and it loves it,so its always good to match your van with your car.

The reason I bought an off-road version is mainly because of the height on the gravel roads,going off into the creeks when we are free camping and just having that extra freedom.

We have friends who bought the swan and always wished they paid a little extra and bought the expanda so guess what they now have sold their swan and purchased the expanda.

The swan will do every thing you want and more,doesn't take much room in the garage and will sleep all your family nicely.

Attachments

• Picture 246.jpg
    Picture 246.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 102
Back