Carbon Monoxide Detectors - Required by law?

My PM just sent me a letter saying:

Dear Landlord,

You may have seen a recent TV ad regarding the tragic deaths of Chase and Tyler Robinson, aged 7/9 who died in 2010 from Carbon Monoxide poisoning from a faulty heater. In March this year, as a direct result of the tragic deaths, the federal parliament passed legislation with bipartisan support ensuring every Australian home is fitted with a Carbon Monoxide Alarm / Detector and legislation for ongoing appliance safety checks.

As your Managing Agent we are taking a proactive approach for the safety of your tenants, and as the owner fulfilling your duty of care and legal responsibility, we will be arranging on your behalf the installation of a Carbon Monoxide Detector at your rental property over the next 4-6 weeks. (Please
find attached an information brochure with some important information about these monitors)

And they want to charge me $150 to put one of these things. They have also hinted at annual maintenance costs to service.

What the hell? Is this thing actually REQUIRED by law?

I don't have one in my own house.

From what I've read, the bill has been passed and the new laws will come into force in the next couple of months.

So yes, but not just yet.

From what I've read, the bill has been passed and the new laws will come into force in the next couple of months.

So yes, but not just yet.

Id assume its for homes that have some form of gas heating.............can you imgaine the stupidity of having to install one in Darwin :(

ta
rolf

The first that i've heard of it. I'll need to check up. Which states?

I've found most homes here have gas heating, I thought they were trying to make it mandatory that all gas appliances were serviced once every 2 years to check for leakage. But I guess an alarm is easier?

Again, from what I've read it will come in for all states... But I haven't had any notification from REIV yet about the changes.

There is no specific legislation that mandates CO alarms, Energy Safe Victoria has actually stated that they don't believe that alarms are the answer to the problem - there is no Australian Standrd for CO alarms (yet) which means your $5 ebay alarm and $150 Australian made alarm are both viewed in the same light. Don't get me wrong the alarms are better than nothing, but some only detect CO at potentially dangerous levels - ESV recommend servicing gas appliances every 2 years (including a full CO test with gas analyser) which can detect and rectify CO issues.
The residential tenancies act is really the only legislation that binds landlords to keep gas appliances in good repair, which is fairly vague and open to interpretation. The more litigious Australia gets in terms of personal injury claims for a few bucks a week for a service every 2 years, it's a good way to CYA (cover your ***) in terms of liabilty etc etc.

Which Real Estate sent out the letter if you don't mind me asking?

Cheers

MG

The more litigious Australia gets in terms of personal injury claims for a few bucks a week for a service every 2 years, it's a good way to CYA (cover your ***) in terms of liabilty etc etc.

The more litigious Australia gets in terms of personal injury claims, the less this sort of investment makes sense. For a few bucks rent the investor is being stiffed left right and centre.

Ausprop, I agree. USA style litigation makes life hard for all investors it would be laugh out loud funny if it didn't ruin people financially every year.

Having worked in the gas industry, and invested in several tenanted properties, the issue with CO is the potential consequences resulting from lack of maintenance - if you don't maintain an airconditioner and it breaks down, the worst that can happen is a tenant complaint via your PM. A poorly maintained gas appliance however can spill CO without any warning (odourless, colourless, tasteless etc) and kill the occupants in a matter of minutes. If lack of maintenance is proven - then has that landlord fulfilled their obligations under the residential tenancies act?

Many investors would also see value in maintaining their appliances (gas or otherwise) as a means of extending the lifespan of the appliance.

I don't think government mandates are the solution here though - homeowners, landlords and tenants should be educated on the issue and and have the freedom to make up their own mind.

The ESV's take on the residential tenancy act if anyone is interested....
http://www.esv.vic.gov.au/For-Consu...andlord-and-property-manager-responsibilities

Which Real Estate sent out the letter if you don't mind me asking?

Harcourts, SE Victorian based.

The more litigious Australia gets in terms of personal injury claims, the less this sort of investment makes sense. For a few bucks rent the investor is being stiffed left right and centre.

Hmmmm.... $150 per property for install, maint is probably $70pa, it's something I'd rather avoid if I can.

Thank you for the link to Energy Safe - I already do the gas maints twice yearly and if that is the better method, I'll save on the sensor.

and...

"Conclusion
The use of CO alarms may be an attractive option to reduce the threat of CO poisoning in homes, however, issues related to the effectiveness, useful life, number required and positioning of CO alarms may lessen the desire to use them.

Also CO alarms, for use in domestic premises, are not linked into the gas supply for the appliance and cannot affect a gas cut-off if a fault arises.

Given the technical difficulties in their application and when used in isolation to other controls, CO alarms are not likely to reduce the potential of CO poisoning. CO alarms may not protect people who are at special risk from CO exposure by reason of age, pregnancy or medical condition.

I'm emailing my property manager to forget about these things, and service my gas heaters once every 2 years instead.

I have a property close to where those boys lost their lives, which was Mooroopna. I haven't heard anything that means that those type of detectors are mandatory. But I'm thinking it is a great idea. Currently the RE agent sends us our statement with a section about getting any gas heaters checked. Which I am happy to do.

Currently we are living in our own house, which has a heater that leaks gas into the room. The first year we lived here we wondered why we felt sick during winter. Then we just stopped using it. Just had it checked, and it has a hole in it which was allowing Carbon monoxide into our house. YUCK! But had it been a rental or our only heater, it could have been much worse, we could have kept using it. If we were renting we might have let the REA know about the issue, and delays ect would have meant that we were sick during that time.

Asking around, it happens often that heaters are old and in need of replacement due to letting CO into the living space.

To me, it is just something that needs to be done. If I was renting myself, I wouldn't hesitate to get it checked.

I've been looking at outdoor gas fireplaces this week and in my research have come across quite a few articles reporting deaths from CO poisoning.

After reading these stories I want a CO detector for my house - For properties with gas heating, I see it as just as important as a smoke detector.

Back