Carpet cleaning / final inspection

We just purchased a property that was owner occupied, but we'll be putting tenants in there. I know tenants need to steam clean carpets before they hand keys over after vacating. Pretty sure that the vendor doesn't need to do this though, right? So we'd need to steam clean beforewe put tenants in. Am I right? Property is in Vic, settlement next week, final inspection tomorrow.

Also can I ask the vendor to wash dirty marks off walls, crumbs off griller, etc or is it what you see is what you get with purchasing (got a feeling it is)?

It would appear to be far to late to request more from your vendor and you purchased the property as it was.
It would be different if it was a case of a tenant leaving
More of Buyer beware I would say

We just purchased a property that was owner occupied, but we'll be putting tenants in there. I know tenants need to steam clean carpets before they hand keys over after vacating. Pretty sure that the vendor doesn't need to do this though, right? So we'd need to steam clean beforewe put tenants in. Am I right? Property is in Vic, settlement next week, final inspection tomorrow.

Also can I ask the vendor to wash dirty marks off walls, crumbs off griller, etc or is it what you see is what you get with purchasing (got a feeling it is)?

Just ensure that incoming tenants are aware that they need to provide a receipt for their steam cleaning on exiting the property eg they need professional steam cleaning done

Just ensure that incoming tenants are aware that they need to provide a receipt for their steam cleaning on exiting the property eg they need professional steam cleaning done

Not sure about Vic but in Nsw requiring the tenants to steam clean at the end of lease is unenforcable. Doesn't stop plenty of PM's from trying it on though.

Hi Skeet

It's actually easier to get vacating tenants to clean than it is owners- this is because the outgoing condition report needs to be completed and the landlord/PM needs to be satisfied the property is left in a clean and orderly state, as it was when the tenants first took possession.

Your rights for vacant possession mean that the property is in the same state as it was when you agreed to purchase, given fair wear and tear between exchange and settlement. If this means the kitchen was spotless when you inspected and then is disgusting at PSI time you do have a right to demand that it be returned to the state that it was when you agreed to purchase. Naturally, some properties aren't clean or tidy upon agreement so it does depend on the general cleanliness at the time. When I conduct PSI's for clients, I use photos taken upon inspection as well as ad pics to clarify just in case there's a likely dispute. It's not uncommon, however, for some owners to do absolutely nothing after exchange, yet as a purchaser it's important that you realise you do have rights here.

Another common issue is unkempt lawns or unwanted goods/chattels left at the property. Ensure that you inspect in time for settlement to be delayed, if necessary, or at least for your solicitor to seek compensation from the vendors side if required. Also ensure that you test all electricals, open cupboards and sheds/storage areas to avoid being left with nasty surprises when you move in.

Good luck and happy moving:)

Jacque, it depends on what the contract says. Some contracts state that a property must be delivered to a purchaser in the condition it was in at the date of sale minus fair wear and tear. This means that unless you can prove an appliance or fixture was working at the date of sale (because you inspected and checked everything (turned it on etc) before signing the contract), the vendor can simply state that the appliance/fixture was in that condition at the date of sale and you're stuck with it.

...unless you can prove an appliance or fixture was working at the date of sale (because you inspected and checked everything (turned it on etc) before signing the contract), the vendor can simply state that the appliance/fixture was in that condition at the date of sale and you're stuck with it.

Ah yes so true... another reason why we test all electricals upon inspection, get assurance from the vendors (preferably in writing) and try to get it as part of the contract clauses when we buy for clients. It's more than often knocked back but allowances can be made to ensure all electricals are in working order. Also ensuring you retest at PSI time is vital as vendors will then repair/replace or provide compensation for without complaining too much.

Ah yes so true... another reason why we test all electricals upon inspection... Also ensuring you retest at PSI time is vital as vendors will then repair/replace or provide compensation for without complaining too much.

Spot on Jacque! This is especially true for things like heaters during summer and air-conditioners during winter, plus gas burners, ovens, dishwashers, heated towel racks and door bells all of which often get overlooked in pre-sale inspections.

I think i must be really lucky, my vendor spent the $200 to steam clean the carpets before handover. I know that was not necessary for them to do that. Also removed the icky lampshades that I would have to replace with normal light fittings. -> Would be considered taking a fixture but honestly she saved me $$ so i'm glad.
Skeet I would do the steam clean to be honest. Who knows how many years it's been gathering yuck in that carpet??

Back