carpets

Hi all
whats the expected norm with PM wanting to patch a soiled or stained carpet. Currently have new carpeting and freaked when PM said there policy is to cut out and patch if not succesfull with stain removal. I would have thought the tenant would be responsible to replace complete room. I don't like the idea of trying to make an new piece of carpet being fitted to maybe a slightly differing new piece a year down the track

Hi all
whats the expected norm with PM wanting to patch a soiled or stained carpet. Currently have new carpeting and freaked when PM said there policy is to cut out and patch if not succesfull with stain removal. I would have thought the tenant would be responsible to replace complete room. I don't like the idea of trying to make an new piece of carpet being fitted to maybe a slightly differing new piece a year down the track

It depends;
  • If the carpet is fairly new
  • The stain is not in an obvious location ie the middle of a room or passageway
  • You can obtain more of the exact carpet with the same dye lot
then, I would patch.

Otherwise, no way. New carpet for the room - tenant pays.

I have only seen a tenant forced to replace carpets for a minor mark/stain/burn once (other than when they're totally destroyed).

Usually the tribunal in QLD awards $250 (or some other amount) as compensation, and life goes on.

If the rooms are carpeted separately and does not continue into the hallways, then you may have a chance at getting the tenant to pay to re-carpet that room.

Re-carpeting newish carpet is cheap, as the underlay doesn't need doing, and they can sometimes even re-use the old nail strips I've heard. Get a quote, but make sure the carpet company DOES NOT cut a sample from the carpet, because then you must get it replaced.

Wow, how do you even patch a carpet and would the patch be visible?
Let's say I had to patch a carpet in the middle of the lounge where someone had spilled a glass of red?
I didn't know patching was possible for standard, 'one-piece' carpets.
You know those carpets which are made of squares of fabric? Put together like a chessboard.
I've always thought they seemed a good idea for heavily-trafficked areas. If you've been to the westfield chatswood or parramatta, you'll see that the floors there are carpeted. I've always wondered how they'd mend any damage down the track.

Wow, how do you even patch a carpet and would the patch be visible?
Let's say I had to patch a carpet in the middle of the lounge where someone had spilled a glass of red?
I didn't know patching was possible for standard, 'one-piece' carpets.
You know those carpets which are made of squares of fabric? Put together like a chessboard.
I've always thought they seemed a good idea for heavily-trafficked areas. If you've been to the westfield chatswood or parramatta, you'll see that the floors there are carpeted. I've always wondered how they'd mend any damage down the track.

Here you go, missgreeneyes : http://www.invisiblemending.com.au/. This company is in Sydney, but I have used a Perth company several times very successfully, primarily for iron burns.

cheers

Back