Catalina estate wa

Hi all!

I'm think about doing a house and land package in the new estate of Catalina. What are all your thoughts as an invest prop and do you think prices are reasonable? Be good to hear your thoughts

We were considering building here about 6 months ago but bought established in Clarkson just a touch north of ocean keys shops.

I like it.

I think the land prices are reasonable.
It's easily close enough to clarkson station, which is only a 35 minute train ride into the CBD.
Neerabup (drive/road?) will be a freeway on-ramp sometime in the next 5 years.
Ocean Keys was already a decent shopping centre and is currently getting better.
Houses in Clarkson/Mindarie are selling very quickly, and rents (/yields) are high.

A forum member, INXS will tell you you're better off up in Alkimos/Eglinton. But I don't feel like the infrastructure is good enough up there yet. It's also a significant distance further north (away from city/joondalup)

Hi all!

I'm think about doing a house and land package in the new estate of Catalina. What are all your thoughts as an invest prop and do you think prices are reasonable? Be good to hear your thoughts

Sorry I dont know the area. What do you think of the area and prices? What do you think of yield there? What is your investment strategy? Will the property & area deliver what you are looking for in relation to your investment strategy?

Trust my word - do not buy anything north to Currambine. Too much supply (trinity, alkimos) is slowing down growth if any. House price hasn't gone up much in this area (even in a period when Perth is taken by a storm of short supply and some areas have seen a capital growth of 150k+). Rental market is softer than ever and with no hope of any significant capital gain, why would you guy a house?

Sorry I dont know the area. What do you think of the area and prices? What do you think of yield there? What is your investment strategy? Will the property & area deliver what you are looking for in relation to your investment strategy?

Hmmm I'm actually not sure haha I struggle with having a strategy because I work up north earning good money but I don't want to be up here much longer so I would end up back on perth earning around 1200 pw.
Maybe you can help?
I already have a ppop but I dont want to end up living there forever. It's p&i 335k but 318k owing with 30k in the offset.
Prop would sell for at least 380.
I have my girlfriend parents willing to go guarantor on the next prop which will be good as that can help with keeping a deposit in the bank.

Don't have any other loans at all besides our phone bills.
She earns only 600 pw.

Goal????? Not sure just get rich faster haha :)

Catalina isn't a bad bet if you want to purchase up that way.

The various Alkimos developments will definitely present some oversupply but longer term there is money to be made.

You could secure a good rental return Catalina and it is still close to clarkson traino, ocean keys shops (which like mentioned here will be getting bigger) and mindarie marina. Also Joondalup will grow a lot over the next 10 years, it is already a major business hub but they plan on developing it's commercial and business side a lot more. Catalina isn't too far away from Joondalup.

One thing regarding Catalina tho I know there is a big rubbish tip/land fill nearby that was going to be filled up and closed but now they have delayed that until 2020. Does that blight the nearby area much at all? Any reason if it could?

One thing regarding Catalina tho I know there is a big rubbish tip/land fill nearby that was going to be filled up and closed but now they have delayed that until 2020. Does that blight the nearby area much at all? Any reason if it could?

It smells.

If the wind is blowing in the wrong direction, you can cop it. I worked in a shop near ocean keys for a couple of years. So, almost as close to the tip as the furthest part of Catalina. We never smelt a thing. I've been driving aorund in Kinross and copped a whiff.

It's not horrible to drive past, but I wouldn't want to smell it in my living room.

Hmm I wander if kinross gets smelly too haha.

For the price I like the idea of getting a new house but the blocks are way to tiny for my liking.

I wouldn't mind buying an established somewhere between currambine and padbury but prices are way to expensive ATM.

Do you think there going to eventually drop?

My house which I bought in Butler is finished and around the corner from these Masters and Woolies. Near enough without being right next to these commercial sites.

All inclusive cost was about $352k...for a 4x2x2. I understand the prices are now $420k plus. With this infrastructure going in...prices will increase another 5-10% comfortably. Pulling 30% out if such a deal in less than 3 years..is great.

Have another 2 builds down South...with infrastructure on the way..hope a similar thing happens. I bought the block down there for 140k and 130k. So if the same thing happens the profit will be much larger.

Check out whats going on just up the road :eek:

http://www.satterley.com.au/commercial

Catalina - good prospects I think and it's close to mindarie

I was driving around Clarkson today for a few hours. Unfortunately I didn't have the opportunity to go to any home opens as I was busy so I'll go tomorrow. Anyhow I have a good feeling about Clarkson & Catalina.

Catalina estate is only a 2 minute drive to the beach, close to the corner of Marmion ave and Neerabup drive. It's across the road from a huge shopping complex including woollies, Coles, Kmart, bunnings to name a few! There are a heap of specialty shops, cafes and lots of facilities & services & also has a lot going for it as the new ocean keys estate is being built/expanded. Also lots of other buildings are going up near bunnings. It's around a 5 minute drive to the train station & the new freeway extension will be built. Also Joondalup is not too far away too which will provide jobs and services etc. Oh also I didn't smell anything!

I was checking out Catalina properties. One of the properties in my price range which is less than $420 k is below:

32 Antares street for $399 k, 3 x 2 with one small living room/dining area. Its half built and is due for completion in May or June. I walked inside and it seems quite small, I'm not sure how many sqm as the floor plans are too blurry to read! The houses are attached to one another. It's very affordable for me but I'm not sure if there are added costs to the $399 k I'll be finding out on Monday. The thing I like about this property is the cost and the great location, just 2 mins drive to beach, & shopping complex across the road. Hopefully there would be rental demand for this size property.

There are around 15-25 of these small size houses, some are half built, some havent started construction and there are some blocks there that have only just been carved up I'm guessing for release later on down the track. There were also a group of similar size properties on Pomelaa street.

A couple of questions. Antares street is kind of on the main road being Neerabup drive but it is setback by quite a few metres. Do you think the traffic would make it too noisy? With so many houses being built & coming on the rental market at the same time do you think it would be hard to find a tenant? I hope there wont be an oversupply.

The other thing is If I buy closer to the train station, something (not in Catalina) that is established I'm able to get a larger home for the same cost or less but my main priority is depreciation & I'm keen on a new build as it means I won't have to carry out any maintenance or repairs for quite some time. I also like how its close to the beach and shopping centres! Cashflow is important for me as I'm on below average income. I think something new in catalina would be the way to go but it would mean a smaller property.

Tyrone or anyone else here did you or are you thinking about investing in Catalina or other areas of clarkson?

Well done if you managed to read all that :D

Last edited:
From memory, these blocks are about 250sqm. Very tight. There are bigger blocks, up to about 400sqm in Catalina which aren't too much more $$.

RE: Neerabup drive, It is busy, and will get busier. If/when the freeway gets extended to Hester, Neerabup is going to be an or-ramp and connect through to Wanneroo road. However, I have a feeling there is some sort of "quiet living" requirement on these blocks facing neerabup and they will probably be built with double glazed windows and some other sound insulation on the adjacent walls.

Back