CBA Credit policy changes 90% LVR for purchases + 5% genuine savings

CBA have just announced a further tightening to their lending policy.... :(

Unless a client has 6 months of existing good credit history with CBA they are restricting refi's and purchases to 90% LVR.

And from today a minimum of 5% genuine savings is now required.....for loans over 85% LVR

Credit policy changes as from Monday 30 March 2009

Due to the increasingly volatile economic climate and rising unemployment levels the Bank is taking further steps to ensure it continues lending responsibly to customers. In particular, we are ensuring customers who are entering into more highly geared borrowings have an established relationship with Commonwealth Bank and a demonstrated savings pattern over time.

Following the changes announced in Update 27/2/09, new criteria is being introduced. As from Monday 30 March 2009, the Bank is making the following additional policy changes:

Maximum LVR of 90%, excluding LMI, regardless of the purpose, for all customers who do not have current credit facilities with Commonwealth Bank.
Mandatory 5% genuine savings for new borrowers where the LVR is > 85%.

Maximum Lending Margins
The maximum LVR for all customers applying for a Home Loan, Investment Home Loan and/or VLOC, regardless of the purpose, will now be 90%, excluding LMI, unless they have 'current credit facilities' with Commonwealth Bank.

A 'current credit facility' is defined as an existing consumer lending product (i.e. Home Loan, Investment Home Loan, Line of Credit, Personal Loan or Credit card) which has been funded for at least 6 months with no arrears or missed payments. Closed accounts are ineligible.

Customers cannot borrow above the maximum LVR of 90% if:

They do not have a current consumer lending facility (i.e. Home Loan, Investment Home Loan, Line of Credit, Personal Loan or Credit Card) OR
They have a current consumer lending facility that has been funded for less than 6 months OR
They are refinancing OFI debts (refer Update 27 February 2009)

Customers that do not have "current credit facilities" should be encouraged to reduce their LVR to < 90%.

Note: Existing customers will still be eligible for a base LVR of up to 95%, but only where they have a strong credit history with the CBA.

Genuine Savings
As from Monday 30 March 2009, customers will be required to contribute a minimum 5% (increased from 3% refer Update 27 February 2009) of the purchase price in the form of genuine savings (or equity) towards the proposed purchase/transaction.

The genuine savings will need to be verified and may comprise of any of the following:

A demonstrated saving pattern established over a 3-month period
Gift – must be held in an account for a minimum of 3 months
Term deposit – must have been held for a minimum of 3 months
Cash – acceptable only if placed in an account for a minimum of 3 months
Shares – must have been held for a minimum of 3 months
Equity in existing property

Exclusions:

First Home Owners Grant (FHOG)
Additional borrowed funds i.e. personal loan
Proposed sale of an asset (other than property) i.e. sale of car

This requirement relates to all applications involving new borrowers where the LVR is > 85%. A new borrower is defined as one who does not currently hold an existing secured Home Loan credit facility with the Commonwealth Bank (Home Loan, Investment Home Loan or Line of Credit).

Hi Scott

I have been saying for weeks not wont be long before the highest lvr is 90% across the board.

In the UK it is a maximum LVR of 85% and has been for 4 months or so and they have well over 100 lenders to choose from.

We will all be busier than normal sourcing the high lvr deals for clients.

CBA can go jump.

Macquarie have had their own lending criteria for ages.

if CBAs risk profile has changed then so be it.

if it affects you, go talk to the manager down at the BOQ or Bendigo.

Hiya

Bout time ...........will weed out those deals that are currently clogging the systems that dont have a hope of settling. We have athe odd 95 still looking for a home, but some of the stuff being thrown at the lenders by desparate brokers and buyers is a joke.

What will happen is that those lenders that are still doing 95 or 95 plus, they will be swamped, and their mortgage insurers will also bail. Its called concentration of risk and no lender or insurer in their right mind wants to have a book of only a certain spread of risk.

As for the FHOG bonus being extended beyond June 30. I dont think we need to concern ourselves with that. The contraction of credit will make that a non decision.

ta
rolf

Interesting to hear also that Mac Bank are coming back into the residential arena.

Wonder how they will be received by Brokers and borrowers alike.

I am with Rolf about time too and the number of better quality deals can start to flow through again rather than being caught in the clogged up mess of 95% + loans.

Well....looks like credit is tightening even more!!

Well me thinks it is good as it should prevent a US or UK style collapse. Me thinks that FHB will become a non issue as credit and unemployment sorts the wheat from the chaff!

I have sitting on my hands at the moment because the FHB are going nuts...they are buying things in a frenzy!:p

Totally agree that the tightening of credit will have the FHOG Boost and its probably extension a non-issue as more lenders tighten up as well.

Time to start offering Vendors the financial stability of a PI. :cool:

Regards
Daniel Lee

The news channels on Saturday night were certainly giving the impression that the grant will not be extended, could just be a ploy to keep and build on the current momentum but if I was a FHB I would not be taking a wait and see approach, $24,000 is an awful lot of money to miss out on!

You hit the nail right on the head gwk.

It's going to be interesting times at the bottom end of the market post June 30th. Most FHB's would have already bought by then and if there are any left they'll need a hefty savings account.

As for the FHOG bonus being extended beyond June 30. I dont think we need to concern ourselves with that. The contraction of credit will make that a non decision.

ta
rolf

Suppose there's always the chance they'll reintroduce it in 6 mths if sales fall significantly after stopping it in June......but they wouldn't be stupid enough to let on about it.

Hiya WW

Its insufficient stimulus in an environment where lenders and insurers dont want a bar of many of the buyers the extra boost is attracting.

For many FHOG buyers, if they arent pre approved, fully approved or close to by mid April.....................they will have missed out until credit once again softens. That may be a good or a bad thing depending on where the market turns in the next 1 to 7 years.

Unless the Feds are willing to tip in 15 to 20 % of the property price, any FHOG boost onging will be moot, because the buyers cant get the lending

ta
rolf

Its insufficient stimulus in an environment where lenders and insurers dont want a bar of many of the buyers the extra boost is attracting.

Has been a pretty good stimulus so far it seems.

If insurers have recently changed their bar acceptance, maybe they've taken too much notice of Steve Keen :p

For many FHOG buyers, if they arent pre approved, fully approved or close to by mid April.....................they will have missed out until credit once again softens. That may be a good or a bad thing depending on where the market turns in the next 1 to 7 years.

Unless the Feds are willing to tip in 15 to 20 % of the property price, any FHOG boost onging will be moot, because the buyers cant get the lending

ta
rolf

Had considered your last point (more FHBs won't be able to get lending with tighter credit), and concluded it would be politically advantageous for Labor to continue the bonus. The opposing forces (bonus vs tighter credit) offset each other, and market sentiment wouldn't get whacked as hard as it could be by non-continuation.

Had considered your last point, and concluded if less FHBs qualify from hereon, it would be politically advantageous for Labor to continue the bonus. The opposing forces offset each other, and market sentiment isn't whacked as hard as it could be by non-continuation.

Agree with this.

I supose its not surprising - the govt is being popularist and reckless - but what is surprising is the restraint and long term stance taken by the banks!! Who would have thought they could as such. As a shareholder of all 4 of them Im very happy!

TF

Never said they were coming back as a funder but they are already trialing an Aggregation model with 6 boutique aggregators.

Similar to the Mosiac model Mac Bank are looking at having tailored made products which they will market and possibly manage.

I was just on the fone to a mate, and said this could be a negative for the market however me being the optimist ends up saying this.

Geez, this may be good for us, FHB usually have a small amount say 10k saved.... therefore $10k is 5% of 200k house/unit, and their FHOG will cover the other 5% + expenses... so the bottom end of the market should get fizzing as more of them look @ more affordable property.

Even better for me.

Next thing they could do to make it better for me is doing a Investors grant where you get $14k for buying an IP;) (i can only wish for the last 1, however i think the first point i make will be reality) kinda lost a little buyers remorse from my last few...
lol

Back