ceiling damaged by water leak

Hi all

My IP had water leak (wear and tear)from the roof and damaged ceiling. BC will fix the roof but they asked me to pay $250 excess(BC insurance) if I want the ceiling to be fixed. I am a bit confused about this. I understand if contents were damaged then it would be likely I have to pay but ceiling is structural. Will it be still for me to pay the excess?

Thanks in advance.

Personally, I would be putting this back on the body corporate. It is not your insurance, you didn't cause the damage so it would fall back on the BC to pay.

If you don't pay the excess, BC has to pick up the tab anyway if they are getting the roof fixed, so they are only trying to shift their costs.

You could offer to pay your % liability towards the repairs but request that the money be offset against your levies.

They should fix the ceiling but insurance will not paint the ceiling.

We had a break and enter through the ceiling and the insurance fixed the ceiling but just wouldn't pay for the painting of the same. This was on a strata policy.

Cheers

First point of call would be to read the body corp rules and by-laws and also ask if anything has been passed in relation to this at AGM's etc.

Don
Experienced this in nsw last year.

Water leak in ceiling, strata responsible to fix cause and we were required to paint ceiling. We did not pay the strata excess, just our own policy excess.

Same unit also had a shower leak two months later. Same deal. Strata cut into wall, fixed leak and patched (badly patched wall and made the strata tradie return and fix properly), Strata insurance also paid for carpet drying. we were responsible for repainti the wall and claimed on insurance.

Both instances we only paid for the painting to our ceiling/wall which were covered by our insurance and we paid our insurance excess only...

Hope this helps

Vicki

My IP had water leak (wear and tear)from the roof and damaged ceiling. BC will fix the roof but they asked me to pay $250 excess(BC insurance) if I want the ceiling to be fixed. I am a bit confused about this. I understand if contents were damaged then it would be likely I have to pay but ceiling is structural. Will it be still for me to pay the excess?

The source of the leak was common property, the owners corporation should pay any excess related to a claim on their property.

Why would you agree to the cost of repainting? If the damage is the fault of the strata then the strata should pay the lot.

Back