Ceiling Roses - The process

I'm thinking of adding some ceiling roses but just a bit unsure about the process.

Do I have to get a sparky in to take the light fitting down and then put the ceiling rose up and then get him back to refit the light fitting?

It's a nice fitting and it matches the wall fittings - only problem is that one of the thingies doesn't work now as I accidently left it turned on at the wall the other night while hubby changed the globe and nearly killed him - but I think the sparky could fix it.

So IF that is the correct way to do it, can you fix the rose right then & there to save on electrician call out fees?

Cheers
Amanda

Cue pic of light fitting

I'm thinking of adding some ceiling roses but just a bit unsure about the process. Do I have to get a sparky in to take the light fitting down and then put the ceiling rose up and then get him back to refit the light fitting?

Yes, that's it. If you can fix the rose quickly enough to the ceiling, then the sparkie could hang around.

Take it easy electrocuting your hubby Amanda :eek: or make sure his insurance policy is up to date.;)

i would wait overnight for the cornice cement to dry out......don't know how friendly you are with the electrician, however unlikely he is going to wait around

I'm thinking of adding some ceiling roses but just a bit unsure about the process.

Do I have to get a sparky in to take the light fitting down and then put the ceiling rose up and then get him back to refit the light fitting?

It's a nice fitting and it matches the wall fittings - only problem is that one of the thingies doesn't work now as I accidently left it turned on at the wall the other night while hubby changed the globe and nearly killed him - but I think the sparky could fix it.

So IF that is the correct way to do it, can you fix the rose right then & there to save on electrician call out fees?

Cheers
Amanda

Cue pic of light fitting

Hi there
As a Licensed Electrician, - if you say your Hubby was shocked changing the globe - then I would strongly suggest you have the light fitting removed by an Electrician and have it tested. Often enough old fittings like the one you pictured are not correctly Earthed and this can make things as simple as changing the globe a deadly experience. An Electrical contractor will only quote you once to remove the fitting - test it, and return after you have your ceiling rose in place. It may be able to be hung from the top side of the ceiling gyprock anyway. In which case no weight would be applied to the ceiling rose after it was suspended and the Electrician would only be there a short time while the ceiling rose was stuck to the ceiling. (if you were able to fit it up in the time he was there.)

not a licensed electirician,
scared (almost) to death of older fittings,
everything that can imagined to go wrong, wires rub inside metal tubing and short, fittings with only a single wire, so the metal tubing was used as part of the circuit, ok in the opinion of the people who built it, ~1900, after all its 14feet up, who's going to touch it.
Railglider is absolutely right, take it away and check or replace if necessary, hubby's insurance isnt worth it
the 'after' chandelier didnt look different, but wont kill anyone
one chandelier that had wires cast into glass, some of the lights hadnt work since it was made, the hot glass burns off the fabric insulation and the wires touch, some did work, but it was an incident waiting to happen,
keep it in the basement as a reminder, check at everything
watched a plaster guy putting up cornice and roses, skills, ~45minutes to do 4wall/ceiling joins and the rose,
the sparkies had already dropped all the lights on the ground floor, made it look easy (grrrr)
also angry at
plumbers
electricians (sorry railglider)
roofers
the metal trim guy who builds onsite, just by eye
carpenters
that terrible jealous/admiring kind of 'how the **** did they do that'

Last edited:
OK - Well I think I'll get it checked out.

Hubby doesn't have life insurance, so he's worth more to me alive.

Thanks All
Amanda

I'm trying to be "delicate" here...... but I just cannot see a ceiling rose going with that style of light. Of course, it depends on the "era" of ceiling rose, but that light is very much a 1950s or 1960s fitting. Ceiling roses were much closer to the turn of the century.... the one before the last one!! Why not upgrade into the 21st century while you have a sparkie around?

As I said, I am possibly stepping right out of line here, and your decor may be retro, and if so, please ignore all I just said :D:p.

LOL - No need to be delicate.

Thanks for saying that, as it didn't actually occur to me that it WOULDN'T look good. I have a friend who has a knack for interior decoration, so I'll get her opinion.

As for decor, um, what's that? LOL. We have the telly sitting on the ground with the set top box and dvd player sitting on the ground next to it.

And we have the original art deco carpet.

with some lovely clashing Spotlight curtains:

So, you see what I'm up against?

OK - Well I think I'll get it checked out.

Hubby doesn't have life insurance, so he's worth more to me alive.

Thanks All
Amanda

I think its time you signed up your hubby to life insurance, not those crappy accidental death ones you see on TV, but a proper life insurance.

If its going to impact your cashflow, then obtain it through his superannuation provider. These are usually very cheap in comparison to getting done through a financial planner / insurance broker. Downside is that because the insurance broker / financial planner dont receive any commission on this, you will most likely have to do this yourself.

Also make puts you down as as the binding nomination (this ensures you receive the funds).

Back