cement bricks

Hi All,

Just wondering whether anyone has had any experience (good, bad, ugly) with a cement brick? Probably 1930's vintage.

If so, was there any rising damp?
WAs insulation better or worse?
How about noise?

Thanks in advance,
Wattle

Ashlar? Cinder blocks?

Rising damp will depend upon whether there was a dampcourse below it - it may have been a bituminous or slate damp course which may have cracked.

I think it's these, or like them - cinder blocks?

What are they really made of?

Also, not saying that there is rising damp - on flat land and probably no water around.

What do you think...?

Personally, I find them ugly but if they're good bricks I can do something with them.....:confused:

Attachments

• cinder blocks.jpg
    cinder blocks.jpg
    2.3 KB · Views: 47
My grandfather built his holiday house out of them. he made a couple during the week with a mould and drove them to the house on the weekends. Took him a few years to build.

It was a pretty sturdy house, but Im not sure of the specific propertes of the bricks themselves.

I was thinking Besser blocks, but not sure if they were around in the 30's?

I personally like Bessar - ugly as, and usually used for retaining walls and factories - but I prefer them to normal brick when used for the 60's apartments etc (though maybe not the vermiculite ceilings that often accompany them!).

The Y-man

Ace in the Hole:You mean concrete bricks/blocks?

Yes. I have always got those two words mixed up.

The Y-man:I personally like Bessar - ugly as, and usually used for retaining walls and factories - but I prefer them to normal brick when used for the 60's apartments etc (though maybe not the vermiculite ceilings that often accompany them!).

Totally agree. Nothing better than a good solid 1960's ugly apartment! Even with the vermiculite!

That's why - though these bricks/blocks are really ugly - I haven't completely discarded the possibility of working in with them.

But definitely not a Besser block. I suppose an earlier and more organic version - though I really have no idea.

tobe:Took him a few years to build.
That is very impressive - and what a great way to build a house. He would've put a lot of thought and care into it!

OK this is what wiki says:
A concrete masonry unit (CMU) ? also called concrete brick, concrete block, cement block, besser block, breeze block and cinder block ? is a large rectangular brick used in construction

so they are a kind of besser block.

But I'm still not satisfied because I can't see the ugly rippled old block in any of the photos. I wonder why they used these instead of double-brick? Cheaper? Home-made using a mould? There's another house in the same street that looks like it was built in exactly the same way with the same block.
Unfortunately, the one I'm interested in has had quite a few additions made to the building and has cracks just like any double brick building around here.

Anecdotally I haven't seen too many cinder block constructions suffer structurally, but they aren't that common around here for me to notice any patterns.

Aesthetically, nothing a little bit of render can't fix. ;)

Back