Central Coast - thinking of moving there - advice please

Hey there,

I am currently living in the eastern suburbs of Melbourne and strongly considering moving to the central coast NSW.

I stayed on the central coast just recently for holidays, and our reasons for moving there are as follows and in this order:

1) To be closer to our NSW family for support (we have young kids)
2) Lifestyle (beaches, country feel to the place, community focus)
3) Proximity to areas like North Ryde seems like a reasonable 1 hour car drive from Green Point or East Gosford
3) Price of real estate seems reasonable when compared to some Sydney suburbs

Does anyone on this forum currently commute via car to a similar location in NSW? Is my estimate of a one hour drive reasonable? (source is whereis.com.au estimate which I don't beleive would take into account traffic variabilities). Would welcome some feedback from those in the know.

Rgs

QL

Hi QL,

There are thousands of people who live on the coast and work in Sydney.

It will depend on the time of day, but if you were commuting to work you would need more than one hour from Green Point but East Gosford could be better, the traffic on the freeway is high speed dodgem cars each morning and evening during the commuter peak hour.

My family catch the train, they tend to start early and finish early, this avoids the peak period and makes it all quite comfortable. Far more relaxing than driving but unfortunately the train connection to North Ryde may not be easy, I am not sure on the Sydney lines but someone else may be able to help.

Maybe you could get a job in the city or on the North Shore then the train is much better. :D

My family love the lifestyle of the coast, you can be busy and noisy around Gosford / East Gosford / Erina or find the village life style in a lot of different spots.

Price wise it varies greatly, as you will soon discover, but then so does Sydney. I do think you can have a better "medium level" life style on the coast for less money than Sydney.

Weatherwise, it has got be about ten times better than Melbourne:cool:

North Ryde via public transport = train to Epping station, then bus from Epping station to Macquarie Uni/Macquarie Centre/Macquarie Park industrial estate area. That's not too bad.

Within a few years the Epping - Chatswood rail link will be in service, making it better.

If you want to commute each day via car, I'd look at living at Kariong, which is just off the freeway.

Thanks so much for your replies - most valuable.

We stayed at Avoca Beach and fell in love with the whole area, much research to do and planning, etc. It all hinges on first landing the right job in the right area...

All the best and please keep the feeback coming.

Rgs

QL

I believe the Station at Nth Ryde will open in 2008. Long range it may be a good idea

Your bullet pointed list seems to have lots of reasons for the move.

My friends live in Sydney during the week and drive to their central coast house for the weekends (DINKS, each had a place before they met). Freeway is not too bad unless there has been an accident. I think it would take a bit more than an hour for you to do that commute from what my friends say..

Back