Centrelink...I feel left behind

Went to Centrelink the other day, what a new experience. Apon arrival I wasn't sure where to go but read the signs and they said to wait until a staff member came.

So I stood in the main entrance and up came a guy with a tablet, he told me I could download an app on my iPhone and go home and upload documents so that I don't have to wait. I told him our phone is an old model and would not do that so we will wait.

We were told the wait was 40 minutes and it was about that, in that time we found out that the busiest time for Centrelink is 11am to 2pm.

When being served the staff member told us that they had no customers until about 10.40 am that morning.

Interesting experience...

And obviously vast majority of customers have a smart phone or access to a smart phone.

Sheryn

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Compassionate_Society your story sounds a bit like the yes minister episode about the hospital with 500 admin staff but no patients.

a govt dept centrelink calls its service recipients, customers, but it sounds like it likes to manage those customers and their service delivery with minimal face to face interaction.

despite being in the business of assisting people the human service delivery seems to be missing. many must find it very challenging not all would know how to work the system.

Went to Centrelink the other day, what a new experience. Apon arrival I wasn't sure where to go but read the signs and they said to wait until a staff member came.

So I stood in the main entrance and up came a guy with a tablet, he told me I could download an app on my iPhone and go home and upload documents so that I don't have to wait. I told him our phone is an old model and would not do that so we will wait.

We were told the wait was 40 minutes and it was about that, in that time we found out that the busiest time for Centrelink is 11am to 2pm.

When being served the staff member told us that they had no customers until about 10.40 am that morning.

Interesting experience...

And obviously vast majority of customers have a smart phone or access to a smart phone.

Sheryn

And that none of the 'customers' wake up before 10.30 :)
I'm surprised that the Old Age Pensioners weren't there at opening time though :p

Totally unrelated to the topic firsthand, but we have just completed painting the structural steel component of the new Centrelink building in my hometown.

Somehow in my caffiene-fueled, semi-attentive state, I got your username mixed into this sentence and wondered why centrelink wanted pink structural steel.

And that none of the 'customers' wake up before 10.30 :)
I'm surprised that the Old Age Pensioners weren't there at opening time though :p

There were a few names called out who obviously didn't bother to wait the 40 minutes.

My brother tells me he only has estimate our Mother's income once a year or was it twice.

The last time I went to Centrelink it was called Social Security and if I get around to receiving the aged pension in 10 years time (not my plan but you never know) I will make sure I upgrade my phone OR turn up outside busy work hours.

At least I know where some of my tax has been spent...

Sheryn

I had to go to Centrelink several years ago, cannot recall why. I felt quite intimidated by the clientele. They were a bit scary and I felt like a fish out of water. There was one man who I thought was going to jump the counter he was so angry.

Interesting observation.
This is amazing because they really don't do much in the social stakes for their populace but will give them a free cell phone. Go figure.
Cheers

Depends on what you define as "social stakes", they've still got a tonne of govt run enterprise that they run at a loss vs privatizing that would hurt citizens when costs go through the roof.

They've got a huge defense spend, massive number of govt employees and public services & they spend more per person than we do on healthcare per capita. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...th_expenditure_per_capita,_US_Dollars_PPP.png

They get screwed due to being woefully inefficient and by big medical & pharma companies, but they still do a lot.

How much is the Dole these days anyway? Can people with assets get it too?

My Mum has been dealing with Centrelink for yeeeears now and she has a really good life! Hasn't held down a permanent job for a good 10 years now. She thinks I'm a bit silly doing what I do (working all the time) but Dad is the opposite

How much is the Dole these days anyway? Can people with assets get it too?

My Mum has been dealing with Centrelink for yeeeears now and she has a really good life! Hasn't held down a permanent job for a good 10 years now. She thinks I'm a bit silly doing what I do (working all the time) but Dad is the opposite

i dont see how someone has a good life on 240$ a week 440 a fortnight less then 12k a year. maybe she only needs to work 2-3 days a week with cash 300-400 + 240 = ok now thats is a good life not to mention free healthcare + low cost transportation concession with everything possible... works out to be about 800 a week honest earner is about the same when he has to pay in full everything private health insurance etc then tax!! I SAY SHE HAS A POINT! if u dont want to go anywhere in life :)

I think a lot of them do work. Almost all the long termers I've known have earned cash.

Most recently a departed tenant who I suspected was not separated was living with her husband the entire time (neighbour confirmed that he was definately there all the time) but claimed to be a single mum.

I had 2 months worth of bank statements and know she recieved around $1050 pf.

She admitted to me she did hair extensions for women and the amount she was purchasing from ebay -according to my hairdresser- meant she would have been making about $1000 pm. And she recieved rent assistance.

She left because she got a much nicer place for significantly less due to being low income, ?NRAS :confused:.

OT, but today I hit a car - extremely low impact collision after both moving off about a metre from stationary parking positions. No damage to my car and i suspect none to his but he got out ranting, I'm injured, i have to ring my lawyer, have to ring police, I go to hospital now, over and over.

Wife was on the mobile doing pretend dialling or repeating 'it's your fault'.

Didn't get to discuss damage to his $500 heap of crap because he wasn't interested in that.

All insured so I know i'm OK but can't help feeling PO with these sorts of leaches.

I had to go to Centrelink several years ago, cannot recall why. I felt quite intimidated by the clientele. They were a bit scary and I felt like a fish out of water. There was one man who I thought was going to jump the counter he was so angry.

Saw a guy get angry like that at the bank the other day.

The best revenge against leeches and losers is personal success and happiness.

Strange, but I was bothered moreso by the tenant after she moved out and i saw about the size of a trailer load of garbage dumped on the vacant block next door and found lots of evidence that it was theirs.

Neighbour whitnessed the dumping.

I my case it's the character of people that gets to me moreso than the effect the dollars they try to claim have.

A friend and I reported a shitty character to the insurance fraud line once and denied him of a fabricated 20K claim (this was verified during the investigation) so know that reporting fraud is good revenge too.

This guy first tried to implicate my friend so she took most of the blame if he got caught - she was not to know a crime had occured until after but smelled a rat so reported him after she found out that that's what happened.

Last edited:
quite funny that the OP turned up within the 11-2 busy period just like everyone else, whilst they seem empty before 10:40. Probably gives some insight in to the mentality of the people going in - If I was in a situation of need, I'd probably want to sleep in too!

Maybe they should Open at 10:30 and put more staff on?

quite funny that the OP turned up within the 11-2 busy period just like everyone else, whilst they seem empty before 10:40. Probably gives some insight in to the mentality of the people going in - If I was in a situation of need, I'd probably want to sleep in too!

Why not open at 10:30 with the same amount of staff and save taxpayers 25% of the cost of wages for the first 2hrs not open?

pinkboy

Too be fair I used to work across the road from a Centrelink office for 10 years and 9 am was the busiest time as people would get dropped off or catch a bus in so they could then spend the day doing whatever was needed after dropping off their paperwork or attending an interview.

As the OP I was more impressed with the change of service and culture at Centrelink and the fact that you need a smart phone to make the submitting of paperwork easier.

On another note...
I rang Medibank Private today and instead of waiting on the line for a customer service officer to answer, I could leave my name and phone number and they would call me back and they told me how long the wait was and that I wouldn't lose my place in the cue!

So I did, no more waiting online for an unknown period of time.

Government services (Medibank Private was owned by the g'ment last time I checked) are changing and making it easier and more time efficent.......which should cut down the frustration and anger that frontline staff have to deal with.

Just some observations on subtle (? spelling) changes taking place.

Sheryn

She sees she has the best life and us workers are stupid

You know what? She's right, because she has freedom to live life like she wants to. And a little tip for you. Don't insult peoples Family. Unless you want to be disliked by everyone who's fortunate enough to come into contact with you.

i dont see how someone has a good life on 240$ a week 440 a fortnight less then 12k a year. maybe she only needs to work 2-3 days a week with cash 300-400 + 240 = ok now thats is a good life not to mention free healthcare + low cost transportation concession with everything possible... works out to be about 800 a week honest earner is about the same when he has to pay in full everything private health insurance etc then tax!! I SAY SHE HAS A POINT! if u dont want to go anywhere in life :)

She sees she has the best life and us workers are stupid

You know what? She's right, because she has freedom to live life like she wants to. And a little tip for you. Don't insult peoples Family. Unless you want to be disliked by everyone who's fortunate enough to come into contact with you.

I dont think he was particularly insulting, if anything I suspect most people have been kind by not commenting on someone who had been a leech on the system for 10 years.

People like your mum are the reason that often those who really need a hand aren't able to get one. If you add up how much she's bludged over the last 10 years it would be enough to pay for an entire home for a family on the public housing wait list.

Back