Centrepay

Disabled car parking permits have nothing to do with disability pension. They are issued by council, not centrelink and have completely different requirements.

I wouldn't call it a 'holy grail'. You know you actually have to have a disability, right? That is no walk in the park.

I'd much prefer to be able bodied and work for my money (which I do, when I can)

The attitude by some towards people less fortunate disgusts me.

I have no problem with the truly disabled.
So many people exaggerate their "disability" as an excuse.

My former FIL lost his leg in WWII just below the knee.
Never bothered with the disability parking spots.

He did receive a vetern disability pension but he also worked everyday besides this, until age 64. (he is 96 now).

He also shovelled snow, and everything else anyone else would do that owned a house. Unless he was wearing shorts you didn't know he had an artificial leg.

It seems people can get disability for things such as migraines,social anxieties, autisms (which now includes something like 300+ different types),aches and pains of all sorts. (try working 16 hr days 5-6 days a week, like many people with their own businesses do..and complain to them about aches and pains) and a whole host of other real or imagined ailments.

Also being on a disability doesn't seem to hinder them from reproducing, so they must be able to do something.

Someone who is wheelchair bound, blind, suffers from MS, severe burns, head injuries etc are real disabilities. No one would ever deny them disability payments.

'truly disabled' as defined by who?

Luckily there is a definition, with people qualified to make those judgements, as opposed to the court of public opinion.

Maybe the court of public opinion aka taxpayers should be the judges.

We have all seen the behaviour of 'disabled' when no one is watching them.

Yes, you are right "luckily" for the ones winning the jackpot.

Disabled car parking permits have nothing to do with disability pension. They are issued by council, not centrelink and have completely different requirements.

OK, sorry, but there is national guidelines under the Australian Disability Parking Permit

I wouldn't call it a 'holy grail'. You know you actually have to have a disability, right? That is no walk in the park.

It is the holy grail for people on other types of centrelink benefits who want the DSP so that they dont have to look for work.

The attitude by some towards people less fortunate disgusts me.

Hope you are not referring to me because I have a good attitude towards people with disabilities.

I feel disgusted when I see someone park their car in a disable parking spot (with a disable parking sticker) and then run out to buy cigarettes before the shop closes.

Pension, welfare

Hiya

Anyone has any idea how many % of our country's GDP goes towards welfare, pension payments etc?

Someone once told me it is something like 30% :eek: please tell me it's not true.....no wonder we have no money for roads, education etc:eek:

Perhaps the public could be the judges on a whole range of things...why stop at disability pensions.

In fact, lets have the country run based on feedback on 2GB.

No the country is run by feedback from evryone who votes.

Are you saying there are no people that fudge disability...?

If you are then you live a sheltered life.

No the country is run by feedback from evryone who votes.

Are you saying there are no people that fudge disability...?

If you are then you live a sheltered life.

Not at all. However Kathryn was suggesting that only people who looked 'truly disabled' should qualify.

I was pointing out that we have professionals to make the distinction of who is 'truly disabled'.

My mum was on a disability pension for a few months prior to her dying of cancer - up until maybe 2 weeks before she died you would not have known anything was wrong if you saw her in the street.

Point is, you dont necessarily know how sick someone is by looking at them. They may have 2 arms and 2 legs. Let the medical profession decide who is deserving of the pension and who is not - sure there will be some people who rort the system, but as long as it isnt me, I dont care.

Nemo,
I have quite clearly stated I don't have a problem with anyone collecting welfare..in whatever form, if they actually need it.
I never said anyone had to look disabled to qualify.

Obviously your mum is in the group of being in need, for the short time she was on it.

Nemo,
I have quite clearly stated I don't have a problem with anyone collecting welfare..in whatever form, if they actually need it.
I never said anyone had to look disabled to qualify.

Obviously your mum is in the group of being in need, for the short time she was on it.

My issue is that you are making assertions about who is in need..'ie 'truly disabled'.

I'm saying leave that in the hands of the medical professionals. If a medical professional is willing to say that someone is disabled, that is enough for me.

Just be glad that it isnt you.

Hiya

Anyone has any idea how many % of our country's GDP goes towards welfare, pension payments etc?

Someone once told me it is something like 30% :eek: please tell me it's not true.....no wonder we have no money for roads, education etc:eek:

It's certainly nowhere near 30% of GDP. I think you meant 30% of govt spending? Spending on social security and welfare is roughly 35% of govt spending at 131.7b.

Breakdown...
assistance to:
the aged - 51.1b
families with children -34.2b
people with disabilities - 24b
unemployed and sick - 8.8b
veterans and dependants - 6.9b

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-05-08/interactive-budget-2012-how-its-spent/3971410

Welfare

Wow! To think that i come from a country where the % of govt spending on welfare is less than...wait a minute....5%? and it is one of the wealthiest country per capita in the world:eek:

I just can't comprehend it...yes, we need welfare to take care of the more unfortunate in our society but 35% of government spending is just a little too much to stomach...what does it imply? roughly 1 in 3 in this country is on some sort of welfare?

Yesterday I wrote a heated response to some posts but I didn't post it. I see others besides myself took issue with some remarks which are very insensitive to those who do NOT rort the system.

Virgo, would you mind telling us which country you come from? From memory it is in Asia? There are plenty of countries in the world who do not offer much in the way of support to the disadvantaged, elderly and the disabled, it is a cultural thing. As an Australian it is none of my business how other countries operate. I believe they have every right to carry on their traditions without anyone else interfering. To all the readers, I'm pointing out there are different values depending on one's heritage. (I could write all day about the historical background to this topic)

On the other hand I agree that Australia can be too generous in some ways. Maybe some of our citizens would prefer our society to let sick people die rather than treat them. That would radically reduce the amount of welfare spending!

I could write another page or two about public Australian funds spent keeping very premmie babies alive only for these children to grow up with all sorts of problems that the education departments and public health systems are expected to treat indefinitely.

My issue is that you are making assertions about who is in need..'ie 'truly disabled'.

I'm saying leave that in the hands of the medical professionals. If a medical professional is willing to say that someone is disabled, that is enough for me.

Just be glad that it isnt you.

Unfortunately some of those professionals make mistakes.
Like I said I know of people who are not disabled but are collecting a disabled pension and working for cash with their so called bad back.

That is clearly a mistake and proves that professionals are not infallible.
Therefore "truly disabled' does have relevence to this discussion.

Unfortunately some of those professionals make mistakes.
Like I said I know of people who are not disabled but are collecting a disabled pension and working for cash with their so called bad back.

That is clearly a mistake and proves that professionals are not infallible.
Therefore "truly disabled' does have relevence to this discussion.

Sure, no system is ever going to be 100% accurate. That isnt just an issue with disability pensions. Many people are taken to court each year over centrelink fraud. I like to think that if they take advantage of the system they will eventually be caught.

I think the difference though, is that Kathryn is suggesting certain illnesses should not be considered at all, because those illnesses mean you are not 'truly disabled' in her opinion.

Wow! To think that i come from a country where the % of govt spending on welfare is less than...wait a minute....5%? and it is one of the wealthiest country per capita in the world:eek:

I just can't comprehend it...yes, we need welfare to take care of the more unfortunate in our society but 35% of government spending is just a little too much to stomach...what does it imply? roughly 1 in 3 in this country is on some sort of welfare?

It depends how you look at it. I would prefer to think of it in terms of families.
The way Middle class Welfare has grown in recent times starting under the Howard Government and continued under Labor IMHO is unsustainable. I know the system supports higher property prices which I benefit from but for the sake of the country I think family assistance need to be reigned in over the longer term.
Five years ago over 40% of Australian families paid no net tax (exclusive of GST) as the tax paid to the main bread-winner was returned to their lower earning partners as tax cuts and family benefits. That percentage is predicted to reach 50%.
When you consider that in the not too distant future all of the GST collected will be required to fund the nations healthcare bill I think it's time Australians addressed this issue rather than looking for ever more handouts.

I think the difference though, is that Kathryn is suggesting certain illnesses should not be considered at all, because those illnesses mean you are not 'truly disabled' in her opinion.

I'm amazed that anyone would take offence to my post.

If someone is collecting welfare, they know whether or not they are rorting the system.

I would assume the ones who take offence to my statement, have a friend or family member who is/was collecting payments.

I don't appreciate having tax dollars wasted.
Relying on the court cases/convictions isn't reliable either. I'd rather the government make it harder to receive benefits, than to pay more legal fees and try to be reimbursed...as if that is going to happen!

Most people vote for whichever government promises them more benefits, regardless of the short or long term cost consequences.

Back