CG and Bypasses

Howdy folks,

I was just looking at all the infrastructure plans for Australia in the near future and was wondering particularly about bypasses. In your experience which areas would see more CG benefits from a bypass:

1. The area being bypassed because of less traffic and noise and easier to get in and out of.

2. The destination of the bypass because now its quicker to get to

Some areas will suffer if they are bypassed, such as small towns which rely on the passing traffic. But in larger areas, the reduced traffic and better access to the area would be benefits.

Take the Hume Bypass at Albury, for instance.

They've diverted all the highway traffic around the town (think lots of large trucks that run through the town all the time)
I don't really think it'll harm albury too much, and may help it, because there is less large traffic.

However, yes, with smaller towns, I think they just slowly die once they are bypassed.

Thanks for that. I was thinking more bypasses in built up areas such as the Geelong Bypass and Tugun Bypass. Both are expected to finish in 2008.

Having a quick look at the current trend, Geelong and Tugun both experienced about 10% gain the year construction started while the destination areas got about 5% gain however Geelong took a big negative dive in growth afterwards. Tweed Heeds, the destination of the Tugun bypass also saw negative growth after the construction year. I'd imagine all areas will again see growth once the bypasses complete in 2008, the trick I guess is trying to figure out which one will see better growth and not take a huge negative dive afterwards.

There is no link between Geelong property cycles and the building of the bypass. I live there and IMHO its unrelated, so I wouldn't be factoring it in.

I own an IP that's 1km from the end of the bypass in Geelong, and the bypass will mean a reduction of the travel through Geelong in peak times from around 30 minutes to under 15. This will have a positive effect on the areas at the end of the bypass (Waurn Ponds and Grovedale) and its certainly an area that I like for this very reason.

When the highway from Melb to Geelong was expanded to 3 lanes, there was a boom in central Geelong areas like Geelong West from people moving from Melb. I think you'd see something similar, given that the areas at the end of the bypass are also only 15 mins away from Torquay which makes it an attractive lifestyle.

Tugun bypass will definately make living along the beach much more pleasant. My mate wont need his double glazing, air-conditioning or 20 min to get out of his driveway every morning.

Can't really explain it. I didnt notice any big jump in prices in 2006. In fact, I've noticed a real slowdown in the market throughout last year, with it picking up slightly now.

Hi,
Bringing up an old thread. Any other thoughts specific to the Torquay area and the benefit from this bypass. My brother thinks this will definately help. Also some very nice places on new golf courses down there.
Cheers, Chris

Back