Change is in the air...

Hi all,

I was asked for an update on my investing story, and thought I would share with you all a bit of a wider view starting at the beginning…

As some of you may know I started investing in 2008 and the tail end of the last large boom in Victoria. Prior to this though I started educating myself on investing, property, leverage, etc. Studying accounting gave me a good feel for the numbers, signing up to here in 2005 and reading, learning and participating helped me get a feel for real-world issues with property investing and “shadow buying” in areas and watching the market move over those years between gave me the confidence that I could pick the right spots.

Then, as above, in 2008 I jumped in and bought a small 2 bedroom unit in Glenroy, Vic. Rented it for a 7.3% yield and the plan was a long-term buy and hold. I then soon after backed this up by buying a 3 bedroom 700sqm block in north Glenroy and moved in for 6 months. Both of these purchases were completed with a very high LVR. The unit was a $178k loan against a $185k purchase and the house was a $347k loan against a $347.5k purchase price. The reason for picking Glenroy was a feeling that it was quite undervalued when compared to suburbs close by – i.e. Essendon/Strathmore – this led me to believe that the CG “wave” had yet to reach the suburbs, which turned out to be correct.

I then decided to sell the unit, to help fund the house build, and then decided I still didn’t have enough cash or knowledge to do the build so sold the house and, for a while, was without an investment.

After that, and looking around I decided that Melbourne was too hot (this was mid 2009) and started looking at regionals. I looked at Bendigo, Albury and Ballarat and landed on Bendigo as I liked the government investment in the area, the size of the city and that it had started to evolve from just reliance on the surrounding farming (eg: Bendigo Bank). Also at this point I realised that buy and hold wasn’t for me in the short term. I like deal-flow, I like creating wealth and, in what I perceived to be a flat market coming, I wanted to do something more. So I bought a house on 4,900sqm and put plans on it for 10 units, had it approved by council and sold the block late 2011. Also during late 2011 I bought another block on 3,600sqm and am going through the hoops of plans for 9 on it and retaining the house.

This is where things get interesting. I am now moving to Bendigo to open a real estate agency.

I really believe in the area, love the lifestyle and think that it has a lot of potential. As an owner occupier you can get a lot more for your money than in Melbourne, and earn similar income (so can more easily afford the repayments). As an investor the returns are better from a yield point of view, the upside I feel is greater and the vacancy rates are some of the lowest in the country.

So, I have left my job, started hiring agents and admin staff, locking in a lease aimed at an open in March. I am going there under a brand some of you will know, and will be opening with a “splash”.

So this is the next chapter in my investing career, and the next move in my work career all rolled into one!

Cheers

Ben

Good to hear Belu - It's never easy to go out on your own but it's great that you've taken the plunge and good luck with it all!

Thanks for the congrats guys :)

One of the benefits is that I can attack the business from the point of view of a buyer/seller rather than an agent, which I hope will ultimately benefit my customers!

Congrats!

Massive step and best of luck to you!

We'll be in Bendigo in late Feb with the Weetbix kids Tryathlon - will see if we can't get a chance to pop in!

Sounds great.

You might be seeing me in the next coupe of months.

I am just starting to looking at Bendigo for my next investment property. (just a sit and hold)

Please have a great Property Manager who knows what they are doing:)

Welcome to Bendigo. I've been an active investor in Bendigo for many years and have found it to be a terrific place to invest from a Capital Gains point of view, rental return, and low vacancy rate. If you need any assistance drop me a line. Hi Property Hoarde I know a good Property Manager if you need one.

Good on ya Ben. All the best with the new endeavour and the new lifestyle. Bendigo is a very nice regional city. Great architecture, especially Shamrock and that precinct near the council, etc.

It will be interesting to hear how you get along with the Barry Plant model. We use them for two properties (two different agencies one in Glenroy and one in Rye) and are extremely pleased with PM service to date.

Good luck with it all :)

Thanks Player,

And I couldn't agree more about Bendigo, it is a lovely city and is still evolving.

The Barry Plant words of "Your red carpet experience" is something that they push quite hard from a head-office point of view and something that I will be emulating through the business, so fingers crossed we can live up to the high expectations set by our other offices.

Cheers

Ben

Back