Changes in QLD

Hi Guys

Here in Tokoroa(South Waikato) we had 37mm of rain last night and 144mm for the month. Temp outside is about 12 C and the sun is shining.

No water shortages or restrictions here.:)

Regards

In the past, we have just inserted "excess only" in the appropriate box on the RTA lease. For our leases that will be rolling over in a few months, I plan to call the RTA to find out for sure how we cover ourselves. Sorry I cannot help more, but I haven't found out myself how to do this. RTA should be able to assist you.

Wylie

I'm all for user pays.
Nothing brings a tennants awareness to something like having to meet the cost themselves.
It's also a good tool in the Water wise fight. Create a responsible use mentality amongst everyone, not just the land owners.

I reckon they can't bring in those changes fast enough! Interesting report on those heavy water users in Brisbane - one using over 33000 litres of water a day! They said most of the excess water wasters were tenants, and that much of the wastage was due to undetected leaks. If tenants were charged the whole amount of water usage, they might be quicker to report leaks as well as reduce their water usage. In many cases they have no idea of how much water they are actually using since they never see a rates notice. It may be the only way some of them actually make any effort to reduce their consumption. I don't think it is being greedy at all and the fact is that in the current market, most landlords will be upping the rent to cover increased cost of water anyway so why not give the tenant more responsibility over their usage and the amount they have to pay.

In one of my properties, the hot water system was left to leak for a whole quarter over summer because the tenant didn't think to report they had no hot water - the result was a rather large water bill I had to pay. The new tenants in that property have somehow managed to use even more water after the HWS was repaired going into excess that I am not able to make them pay because of the previous leak.

It is my belief that currently in QLD you can charge your tenants for all excess water usage which may differ from council to council but is generally the amount that falls into a higher cost bracket - in Ipswich they can use 88kl a quarter before they have to pay.

For those interested here is the wording from our leases for excess water.

These are CQ properties.

WATER USAGE CHARGES AS FOLLOWS:

6 MONTH LEASE
An allowance is made for the usage of 50 kilolitres per month, or a total of 300 kilolitres for the term of a 6 month lease. Any water over 300 kilolitres will be chaged at current tier prices as charged on Council Rate Notice.

12 MONTH LEASE
An allowance is made for the usage of 50 kilolitres per month, or a total of 600 kilolitres for the term of a 12 month lease. Any water over 600 kilolitres will be charged at current tier prices as charged on Council Rate Notice.

That's still double what you can use in Brisbane is'nt it??

We have IP's where they pay excess water with 2 people living there.

That mean's they use more than 833 litres each per day. :eek:

Dave

Back