Changing 2 tap heads to 1

just wondering, a lot of the crappy properties I see have 2 tap heads in the sink, one hot and cold,

all the new vanites have a single hole for the taps, whilst most of hte tap heads are mixers ,

I went to bunnings and couldnt see any of the old style

if im looking for a cheap bathroom job, what would be my best option, (bearing in the mind the property is sub $150k)

Isn't it easier and cheaper to install a flick tap, rather than the old type?

Flick taps are cheap to buy and install, and i've always found them very low maintenance.
Not sure why anyone still uses the old type anyway.

Isn't it easier and cheaper to install a flick tap, rather than the old type?

Flick taps are cheap to buy and install, and i've always found them very low maintenance.
Not sure why anyone still uses the old type anyway.

sorry, oops I just got confused,

agree, it to a flick tap is easy

I was referring to the ones with 2 handles and the tap in between, coming directly out of the wall, like a shower that you see in older homes, but this one is in the kitchen

a bit like this one
old-kitchen-sink.jpg

but with the actual taps coming out of the wall and not the sink

sorry, oops I just got confused,

agree, it to a flick tap is easy

I was referring to the ones with 2 handles and the tap in between, coming directly out of the wall, like a shower that you see in older homes, but this one is in the kitchen

a bit like this one
old-kitchen-sink.jpg

but with the actual taps coming out of the wall and not the sink

Then you would have to re-plum all the pipework,then buy a new sink,not sure if i understand what you are trying to do..

are you saying you want to buy a replacement set like in the picture, but ones that come out of the wall? if that is the case I'm not sure why you woildnt have found them at bunnimgs because I know definitely other hardware stores sell them.

sorry everyone for being confusing, I had 2 scenarios for sinks but got a bit confused,

scenario 1 has been solved,

my 2nd scenario was I have kitchen where the taps and handles are coming of of the wall like the above but the actual 3 bits are poking from the wall above,

I found out that in scenario 1, all I had to was buy a vanity and a mixer and connect it up,

however scenario 2, id like to change if its simple, if not, ill leave as is,

my understanding is for me to move the pipe from the wall under teh sink would requireme to tear out half the wall, which sounds pretty silly, my next option was to turn the tap coming out of the wall into a mixer, which a plumber told me was near impossible, just checking that this is everyone elses opinion!

cheers

I had this old tap style in my IP, and found a really sexy wall mounted set from bunnings for about $100. It was made by phoenix tapware.

The pipework was embedded in the brick wall and rendered over, so almost impossible to change.

Sexy taps did the trick and I think it looks much better than a run of the mill flick mixer.

Here's a photo of exactly what I'm talking about - previously it looked like the photo that you posted, old ugly white plastic looking ones. Amazing what $100 and a grout pen can do!

Going from wall mount to sjnk mixer is relatively easy i actually just did this for my latest kitchen reno. Just chase the pipes out of the render cut the old stuff off leaving the pipes ending below sink level bog up wher the pipes used to run with plaster or render or whatever connect your pipes with olives (easiest) to mini cocks which then connect to the flex lines of your sink mixer and your done. Would be a little trickier if you were trying to keep original cabnets benchtops etc but i think still doable.

If i was going to leave the cabinets in situ i would just remove the fittings and bog up the holes then cut hole (the whole backplate if need be) below sink level. Find wher the pipes are in the wall (if rendered brick and you cant find them cut a horizontal line at or above where you want your connections to be with an angle grinder until you hit them. Then chisel/chase out where they are an connect leavin the old stuff in the wall.

Back