Changing a lightbulb

Responsibility of changing light bulbs

Hi Kev

Just a further question regarding what you said about "changing light bulbs being a landlord's responsibility."

Heard something today about actually getting tenants to sign a document stating that they won't change any lightbulbs. According to what we heard, "a tenant went to change a bulb, it broke and they were electricuted."

Bit of a giant pain if your IP is 2 and 1/2 hours away! I guess you could ask you PM to do it, but then again...

Heard anything about this?

Re: Responsibility of changing light bulbs

Originally posted by phm

Heard something today about actually getting tenants to sign a document stating that they won't change any lightbulbs. According to what we heard, "a tenant went to change a bulb, it broke and they were electricuted."

All the more reason to have an electrician fit RCD protection (safety switch) to the lighting circuits & NOT just the power circuits.
IMH(electrician's)O
JIM

Re: Responsibility of changing light bulbs

Originally posted by phm
Hi Kev

Just a further question regarding what you said about "changing light bulbs being a landlord's responsibility."

Bit of a giant pain if your IP is 2 and 1/2 hours away! I guess you could ask you PM to do it, but then again...

Heard anything about this?

No I haven't PHM, but I don't work in Property Management either. I even had to check with my PM that my memory of the law was correct. I will reiterate however, it is the responsibility of the owner to change the lightbulb and if anything happens after an owner has not changed it after being requested to do so, you may have a legal nightmare on your hands.

Kev

www.nundahrealestate.com.au

it takes 14 Property Investors to change a lighbulb

So, counting all the replies to this thread thus far, it takes 14 Property Investors to change a lightbulb :D

I'll have to save this one for a dinner party!

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Hi there.

Further to the "responsibility of changing light bulbs" I spoke to one of the PM for our IP recently. We have 4, as they all do a different job, and asked her also about the responsibility. She said that "changing bulbs is the tenant's responsibility, however fluros is the owner's.

Looks like I need to get something in writing. Any suggestions on where I would find this as I am assuming that it is written as law, ruling or something.

I could get it from the agency, but if there is a govt body that I know it will provide me with the latest info, would anyone know?

Thanks heaps.

Originally posted by Glenn
Personally, each time a tenant moves out, the property gets what I call a "New tenant care pack" that includes a pack of toilet roll, a box of soap, new toilet brush, about 5 or 6 no name light bulbs, jar of vegemite, jar of instant coffee and a loaf of bread. Oil the wheel for the first few days to create some goodwill!

Glenn

Nice one, Glenn:D ! I leave the first four items and info about transport, rubbish collection, etc, but the food items are a nice touch.

It always amazes me when departing tenants take the toilet roll!!

Cheers,

Originally posted by geoffw
I consider it a sign of a good tenant when they leave the toilet roll and a bit of soap behind.

When we last moved we left behind two toilet rolls, the energy efficient lightbulbs we had bought, toilet cleaner and fuse wire.

Fuse wire is the one thing you never think about until you need it.

Especially if you have circuit breakers instead of fuses:D

Originally posted by tssk
When we last moved we left behind two toilet rolls, the energy efficient lightbulbs we had bought, toilet cleaner and fuse wire.

Fuse wire is the one thing you never think about until you need it.

Back