Changing light fixtures

If I want to change some light fixtures in my house, is that something I need an electrician for or will a handyman be able to do the job? I'm completely hopeless at this and will be happy to pay someone to do it. Any idea how much it will cost? This is in Sydney.

Depends on what types of fitting you are talking about. if you need to change the whole fitting thats screwed to the ceiling you need a sparkie.

He should charge about $50 per fitting if you supply them. And if it a straight changeover. (no noggins in roof to support weight of light fitting, etc)

If its just a couple, you might find it hard to get someone for minimum cost. They hardly think its worth it for $100 or so. See if you can get a young guy starting out from your local paper. (not the Yellow Pages)

If you have the standard little batten holders that hold just the light bulb. A lot of light fittings and shades screw straight into them and can be unscrewed and changed easily by yourself. Do you know the ones i mean?

Hi,
I got charged $45.00 when the eletrician changed my transformer in my down lights, the next time I watched him, and then did it myself.
Perhaps get up and have a look, take a pic of it on the camera and take it to the light shop, I am sure they will be able to tell you how to do it.

Depends on what type of light fittings you select. I'd suggest talking to the people at the light shop and see what they have to say. They might be able to point you to similar fittings that are DIY easy, or DIY hard or sparkie.

Not sure on how some of the none sparkie installs would affect you insurance or anything else if you get lights installed by none sparkies.

Cheers
quoll

Back