Changing the drop of venetians (readymade)

Hey everyone,

Im just about to get some timber or aluminium venetian blinds for my bathroom window in my unit, although I was just wondering if anyone knew if these can be changed to suit the window?

The premade blinds (from Bunnings, Kmart etc) seem to have the correct width, although the drop is different. Can you remove slats at all from either the timber or venetian blinds, or do I maybe need to look at getting custom ones done?

Thanks

the bottom of most venetians is thicker.
on the underside of most bottoms, there is either
small recess (several) in which the lifting cords and the 'rope ladder' ends are knotted to terminate them​
or
small plastic plug (several) that retain the cords and rope ladder by pressure​
the knots can be unknotted, or the plugs removed, to remove the bottom piece and the required number of slats to shorten the blind.
put the bottom piece back in at the new length
rethread the cords
retie the knots or reinsert the plugs
then cut the rope ladders and lifting cords to the new length
(ensures the cut leaves tying/clamping space)
the slats can be hung to a garage rafter by nails through the cord slots, very loosely, so that when they are broken there are spares

What he said :D

And usually the blinds come with fairly detailed instructions with drawings to show you exactly how to do it. I have done dozens of them so don't need to look at the pictures anymore. I think I could shorten a blind in my sleep :eek:

Wylie

Good stuff, I was looking for a cheap venetian for my bathroom so I'll go with these and shorten it. The width is standard 900mm although the drop is around 860mm or so.

Just yesterday I went to put up my new 1900mm wide wooden venetian on my 1850mm wide window. When I bought the blind for less than a quarter of the original price I knew that it would be too wide for window but had the idea of cutting it down in width and it worked really well.

I kept it drawn up all together and tied masking tape around the end that was to be cut and put the drop saw straight through the whole lot and it looks fine.

I think it would only work on timber venetians and would not like to say on all and only for small amounts to be taken off, say up to 120mm.

Bronwyn.

As other have said you can easily remove blades from the bottom and reduce the drop as much as you want. Just make sure you replace the very bottom one which is thicker and heavier and acts as a weight. You can also reduce the width with a drop saw by up to the amount where the strings come through the frame.

Just yesterday I went to put up my new 1900mm wide wooden venetian on my 1850mm wide window. When I bought the blind for less than a quarter of the original price I knew that it would be too wide for window but had the idea of cutting it down in width and it worked really well.

I kept it drawn up all together and tied masking tape around the end that was to be cut and put the drop saw straight through the whole lot and it looks fine.

I think it would only work on timber venetians and would not like to say on all and only for small amounts to be taken off, say up to 120mm.

Bronwyn.

Hi Bronwyn,

I'll have to do this myself soon. I am curious though, what did you do about the metal bit at the top? I was told I'd have to take the strings out of it all, and separate the timber from the top bit (which I really DON'T want to do - so time consuming!). Did you leave it attached to the metal top bit (sorry I don't know what you'd call it... the bit the pelmet hides ;) )
Michelle.

Hi Michelle,

Yes I put the drop saw through the top metal bit as well, it cut it off nicely.
I did not need to take any strings out as I only cut a small amount off and did not get close enough to the strings. I don't think it would work if you need to cut past the strings.

Regards, Bronwyn.

Thanks Bronwyn :)

I also only need to cut a small amount off, was worried about the metal bit though. I'll give it a go :D

Michelle.

Back