Cheap kitchen renos, possible ?

Hey all,

I have a old 80s style timber and hard laminate benchtop kitchen. I have about 3k to redo the benchtops and was looking at some ideas to get the most bang for my back. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can do this ?

Cheers

T.G

Our son bought a whole kitchen from Ikea today for $3.5K (6 metres of cupboards) including timber bench tops. He gets $400 voucher ($200 voucher per $1000 spent).

He will spent another $1.5K on appliances. Well worth taking a look at Ikea.

Lots of places around where you can try scrape in a completely new kitchen under 3k. Just had one put in for 2.3k, but that's in third world Adelaide.

I get my entry level straight line kitchens for $380 without appliances ;)

Or L shaped kitchen with appliances For $1300 ;)

I'd be very interested to know where from Truly Exotic.

I too have been looking for cheapest possible solution for my soon to be IP. So far I've found:

http://www.kitchenunder2k.com.au/
and
http://mawardrobes.com.au/kitchens.html
and
http://tradepax.com.au/

all seem cheaper than Bunnings/Masters/IKEA (based in Sydney).

Im intrigued by the middle one too as they seem to have the cheapest quote for built ins as well and looking to get 2 or 4 installed (5 bedder house, currently only master with built ins)

Our son bought a whole kitchen from Ikea today for $3.5K (6 metres of cupboards) including timber bench tops. He gets $400 voucher ($200 voucher per $1000 spent).

He will spent another $1.5K on appliances. Well worth taking a look at Ikea.

Wylie, don't you suppose to receive $600 voucher (being 3x$200 as you spent $3.5k)?

Wylie, don't you suppose to receive $600 voucher (being 3x$200 as you spent $3.5k)?

They were out of stock for some of the bench tops, so we spent $2.5K yesterday, and will get $400 for that spend.

If the new bench tops come in while the offer is still going (which should happen), then when we get the remainder of the order, we get another voucher.

We couldn't even have them hold what we bought yesterday until everything needed came in. It was "take it today or take your chances".

I just bought 50 new bench tops off greys online for $130 total. Tops only now I just need 50 IPs to install them in lol.

In Brisbane you should look up wood n you if you're handy. They have piles of melamine, Cnc machines, table saws, edge banders, the works. Draw boxes are a bit tricky to make the rest are damn easy. Walk in robes are particularly good to do.

I get all my hardware from nover, they give 30% off without much trouble

I've done 2 ikea ones in my time. The bench tops and draw fronts 6 years in are expanding at the joints. You realise how good those old school timber kitchens are.

poco have some cheapish looking kitchens too, but I haven't down a like-for-like comparison to ikea/bunnings etc: http://www.poco.com.au/kitchens/block-kitchens/

From my understanding, ikea & masters are better quality than bunnings.

We used Poco to do our new laundry. Didn't like their laundry options, but a small pantry (moving the unmoveable shelf) and a large pantry plus some wall & floor cabinets. It looks great, but I'd never use them again.

I find it hard to explain what was wrong, so bear with me. A normal cupboard has a back that gets nailed to the back of the cupboard, right? Well not with Poco. There is a recessed part where the back slots into. This gives a cavity of about 2.5cm behind each cupboard. This backing also moves if you push something too far into the cupboard. There were other stupid design issues too.

I've looked at Masters, but they are expensive. I don't like the Bunnings options, Hubby refuses to go to Ikea as he had a panic attack last time (no clear exit path in an emergency). I do like Good Kitchen & Bathrooms at Villawood though.

Masters, and I think, Bunnings, are stocking a product that you can DIY over existing laminate benchtops to make them look Ceasarstone or whatever it is called. There is a white and a black from memory and it comes our mottled. Looks terrific. Better Homes and Gardens show did one of them, Rust Oleum it is called, I just googled it and the BHG one came up, it is a couple of hundred dollars, you can easily do it yourself, might be worth it if they are in good condition.

Hi All,

If your in Sydney, I would recommend this place. they import from china, but material is polyurethane and bench tops are stone or quarts.

Google atoptide kitchens. They are doing mine, including cook top, oven, rangehood, cupboards installtion and delivery for 4 grand. It is a small kitchen but I had quotes for 13 grand....

Very reasonable and take about 2 weeks to deliver.

Happy to post pics once in :)

Back