Kitchen Benchtop

Hi all

I'm renovating a kitchen in a one bed apartment. Bought all the cabinets at Ikea and am trying to decide what to do with the benchtop. I'm currently living in the apartment but it will become an investment property in less than a year.

From getting quotes etc, laminate is probably $1.5-2k cheaper than using stone. Is there a massive difference in the durability? I was thinking if I use laminate and the tennant destroys it then they'll have to pay for it and there would be enough in the bond to cover this.

As I bought the cabinets during the Feb sale I've now got ikea gift cards worth $550, which would pretty much cover a laminate benchtop. Has anyone bought a laminate from IKEA? Is it still in good shape? Does anyone have experience getting a stone benchtop from IKEA? Is it good quality?

Thanks!

A laminate benchtop will set you back $300-400. You can get premade granite benchtops for a similar amount. If you are handy you can cut the sink and stove holes yourself with a saw/grinder

A laminate benchtop will set you back $300-400. You can get premade granite benchtops for a similar amount. If you are handy you can cut the sink and stove holes yourself with a saw/grinder

Or you could just wait for 'professional' kitchen installers to fu<k it up 3 times.........

Or you could just wait for 'professional' kitchen installers to fu<k it up 3 times.........

Incoming name and shame!

The laminate these days is pretty durable and if done with a tight 3-6mm postform looks great IMO.

Far easier to DIY than cutting stone or paying a professional who apparently even get it wrong too ^^^ ;)

Do you know where abouts you could get a granite benchtop for that price??

I'm not particularly handy, but I've got a carpenter mate who would be able to help install the benchtop if its laminate.

Forgot to mention that I've got a free standing stove/oven so at least no benchtop over that. Kitchen is a U shape.

Back