Cheap Wine thread

TMNT I disagree, but if you were to say $20 & $50 I would completely agree. I've struggled to find a decent $10 wine - $20 can find a whole heap.

I think you are right about this.

Most of the $10 wines taste like vinegar, don't see much point drinking something that tastes bad.
Its similar to buying cheap cut of meat, may as well eat cardboard,

I used to buy Australian wine when I lived in Switzerland for around $12. Strangely the same stuff was more expensive back in Australia. Maybe tax.

Now in Spain I usually pay around 3-4 euro for a good bottle. The cheapest are around 1 euro in the supermarket but they're a bit nasty. Some places you bring your own containers and fill up with reasonable stuff from the barrel for around 2 euros a litre.

ok - well, the ones I have had were "yum".

If I'm looking for a wine and see a penfolds bin - it usually lands in the basket.

Have a friend who works cellar door at Penfolds, if you're ever in town let me know and can head down to the Barossa.

We're really spoilt in SA, the amount of quality reds we have down here is crazy.

I used to buy Australian wine when I lived in Switzerland for around $12. Strangely the same stuff was more expensive back in Australia. Maybe tax.

Similar in the US - there's a few that are worth bringing back over. Funniest one was getting a good Saltram bottle in NZ at the restaurant cheaper than we could get it at Dan Murphy's here.

Have a friend who works cellar door at Penfolds, if you're ever in town let me know and can head down to the Barossa.

We're really spoilt in SA, the amount of quality reds we have down here is crazy.

Two Hands winery is well worth the time :)

Favourite affordables - whatever is on special at BWS/Liquorland - they had some of their $30-$40 wines on special at 50% a few weeks ago - stocked up nicely.

Many years ago a friend who hosts wine tastings arranged one for a dozen friends. It was Australia v France in reds - blind tasting. I had only ever had a few French reds when passing through France previously on a tour - probably got the el-cheapo stuff and was not impressed.

I can't remember the upper price of the Aussy reds (probably up to $20 RRP), but the French stuff was up to $50 RRP - although he had obtained through contacts for well below this.

What surprised all of us was that it was the Yellowtail which was the unanimous winner, was expecting it to be an expensive French one, not a $8 Aussy. However these had been in the glass for a while before we arrived and he said that the Yellowtail did not taste as nice when freshly poured compared to some of the others before breathing.

I have not bought Yellowtail for a while but have tried the range and found the cab/sav to be the best - at least back then.

I'm one of the 99% but I must admit that you can certainly tell the difference between some of the $30-$60 Penfold Bin reds compared to a lot of others under $20 - like velvet :)

Where do you get bottles of wine under $8 a bottle? I have discovered many tasty substances are much cheaper in Sydney and Melbourne compared to Brissie. Is wine another one?

I cant stand anything under about $15 a bottle now unless it is a big special, at say $13 each. I live up the road from the Eatons Hill Hotel which is in direct competition with Dan Murphy's and they both have some very nice wines under $20. I even pay $9 for my cleanskins at Dan's.

I am a wine Princess who spent many school holidays in my formative years in the Hunter with my wine snob parents and Aunty and Uncle.

Let's not forget that French wine is not really French. Over a century ago, the entire French crop was killed by a fungus. Nothing survived and new grape seedlings had to be imported from the USA. It took the best efforts of Louis Pasteur himself to deal with the blight. So there you go....French wine is in effect American wine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_French_Wine_Blight

The truest test of a bad wine IMHO lies in its headache-inducing properties. Although this thread (somewhat snobbishly) excluded cask wine, I have had many good experiences with the Yalumba and Berri cask range. Not so with many other cask wines, especially de Bortoli - this company started off in the vinegar business in the 50s; a single glass gives me a headache. Do a blindfold test if you don't believe me. Most wine snobs won't be able to pick Berri/Yalumba as being cask wines.

As for the snobbery about French wine. In my opinion the reds - even the supposedly full bodied ones - are mostly watery and inferior to even the cheapest Chilean bottled wine. I find the French whites, especially from Brittany, to be pretty good due, I'm told, to the chalky soil. The whites from the south of France are, in my experience, inferior to the stuff from the west of the country.

Surprisingly, Chinese wine is pretty good. Much of the Great Wall range sells for $5-$10 a bottle. Again, it tastes mighty fine and its never once given me a hangover. The same with wines from around the Caspian Sea region (ie. Iran - yes they do drink! - and Armenia/Azerbaijan).

How bad a headache do you want? lol.

I used to buy a box of 6 from Aldi for 12 bucks. Some kind of fruity red. The bottles had no labels. Did the job.

Back