Cherie Barber - Is her seminar any good??

Cherie Barber - Renovating for a profit

My friend has recently attended a seminar held by Cherie,she paid 6k for a 3 days session she also received 300hrs of DVDs and other learning materials on properties.

I was wondering if anyone has done this? also my friend is also considering letting me borrow the materials for a price. is it worth it?

From my experience, Cherie's stuff is pretty good.

I have not done her course & I doubt I'd pay 6k for anyone's 3 days session (but that's just me).

I did pay $1,500 approx once for a 3 day session and then 6-12 months later purchased the then-published book with exactly the same material in it for $25. :(

also my friend is also considering letting me borrow the materials for a price. is it worth it?
- I'd be borrowing it for free ;) It is a real friend afterall? :)

Has Cherie made any profits since she was operating in the Balmain area in the boom times i.e pre GFC? It's hard to know if the gains she claims to have made were due to market appreciation in value or value add through renovation. There is a theory that the value you add in renovations is the materials plus the labour costs. If its a structural renovation or more then greater chances of value to be added.

Doesn't sound like a very good friend to me...

Well, sharing the costs is not a big deal. You buy something for money and if someone needs it as well, why shouldn't you expect them to share the costs?

If I buy something and if I find it more value for the money paid, I wouldn't mind sharing for free :)

Well, sharing the costs is not a big deal. You buy something for money and if someone needs it as well, why shouldn't you expect them to share the costs?

If you agree on this from the get go, fair enough. But if you've spent the money already anyway, mainly on the actual course mind you, and then ask for a "viewing fee", I think that's a little cheap.

I don't mind paying, but was just wondering if anyone has seen her theories and if it is valid in the real world... Also I don't want to be paying for a bunch of advertising catalogue

I did her course in April. Am nearly finished my first major Reno using her strategies (though this place was already in my portfolio). Agent says I've increased value of the property by at least 60k by spending 20k. Her trade discounts alone saved me around the 6k of the course. Sure, if you know people or much about renovation it would be a different story but its taught me a lot.

I'm looking to buy a property at the moment based on her buy/sell calculations to make a reasonable profit and the numbers are not too far off working. In a normal market where properties are selling for 5-10pc under asking price this would definitely work. If you would be happy to walk away with smaller profits per cosmetic renovation then it can work in today's market.

If you watch The Living Room, her segments are using properties purchased by those who've attended her courses. Unfortunately with the ACA story, that person bought a property that goes against Cherie's detailed strategy and the woman didn't have enough money to do the renovation. I think C didn't do herself any favours for taking on that project for tv when she knew the numbers didn't stack up and shouldn't have tried to add more to the scope of works and ending up doing a substandard job with inferior materials.

One of Cherie's attendees recently completed a structural renovation in frenchs forest. Think she took a few 100k profit away from that.

mush

I done Cherie and partner Steve Tolles' 3 day course a few years ago and even with some 30 years building experience behind me learned heaps.We are currently pursuing a reasonably unique strategy which does involve renovation and Cheries' course notes have proved to be a very valuable source of information.Both Cherie and Steve are very approachable and will provide you with feedback and help for some time after attending.Like anything in life,you will have to work very hard to implement her strategies but she does provide you with a sound blueprint to work from.

Good point by Feradd though. Profit from renovation post G.F.C has been challenging for all but the most 'cashed up' players.......

Thank you all for your feedback, I have only done one structure renovation and had made so many mistake thinking about it now....
i guess your always learning

I did the course in Feb. For someone like me who knows very little about renovation it was incredibly valuable and the level if detail provided is second to none.

Education can be expensive but so are mistakes. I shared the cost with my partner and we think that we would definitely save money on future projects and that justifies the expense.

Hi everyone

I wonder if Cherie Barber course requires us to have knowledge of renovation?

My strategy has been buy and hold. So entering into house renovation world is completely new for me.

I went to a few of her freebie investing events to see what all the fuss was about (I'm from NW Australia)
She offers a structured approach to purchasing and renovation of property that works mainly because all the critical due diligence has been covered.

And she can sell the idea......the support plan is good value as well.

Great for people just starting out or not well organised as it helps make a good decision.

I could have used some of the information 15 years ago when I made a mistake with CBD property....but she wasn't around.

Now - I use "rinse and repeat" with the winning formula......:)
And keep it simple.

Formula for purchase and reno costs??

Does Cherie follow a formula when determining the purchase and reno prices??

Another group who sells a similar reno course, Dean and Elise Parker, use the 135% rule when determining how much to pay for the unreno'ed property, then how much to pay through the reno process. In short their formula is:

Purchase price - 100%
Closing costs - 5%
Reno costs - 10%
Holding costs - 4%
Selling costs - 4%
Profit - 12%
= sale price =135% of purchase price

This could be pretty tight in today's market.

One thing I am interested in Cherie's course are her clauses to include in the contract and agreements to gain early access, which when managed well could save you plenty in a buy-reno-sell.

Cheers,

I didnt do her course but i bought it second hand thru ebay which meant i saved money however i didnt get the support mentorship.

I feel its amazing on so many levels, her hints, people skills, renovation skills. She doesnt waste time, every second she is giving so much useful info. I think its the best course.
I also have dean and elise parkers course they are phenomenal people. I dont remember what i gained from theirs but the question was about cheries course and yes its amazing.

Back