Chipped Bath

Am currently renovating some units. We bought a couple of white steel baths at a really good price at auction however when installing noticed that they had a couple of small chips in them. Does anyone have any sugestions to cover the chips.

thanks

Silas:(

Hi silas, I don't know the answer to your question but since my question is along similar lines, I thought I'd pop it in with your thread.:)

I have a very old and large clawfoot bath and the enamel has no shine to it. Is there some sort of product which is dead easy to use which will put the shine on my bath?

Cheers Brenda:)

There is a product called Tub 'n' Tile I think that does this but doesn't come in a lot of colours - not mine anyway, but certainly does in white. Not sure if it's just for fixing chips or re-doing the whole tub - I'm still living with my chip 5 years later!

Cheers
Olly

Mendabathroom reenamel your fittings. I understand that it comes in at about half of the cost of buying a similar item new.

I saw a bath a while back which had been done by M-A-B. It was about 8 years old, and just starting to show some wear about the plug area.

Hi Silas,

as per Olly's suggestion, "Tile'n'Tub" is an excellent product, it comes in 2 containers & you simply mix it & apply it to your bath tub & it comes up looking a treat... you just have to follow the instructions on the pack & it is dead easy (simply do 2 coats)...

I did one bath tub 1.5yrs ago in an IP & saw it the other day & still looks good (mind you I applied it to re-colour the bath tub from blue to white)... it was easy to do, clean tub & sand it back with a wet sandpaper... I'd personally use it again...

In terms of your chips, I can't see a reason why this products wouldn't work, may need to sand it back a little more around the chips to hide them, but worth a try...

Cheers,

MannyB.

Guys, check out www.thermoglaze.com.au
We've used them to do complete bathroom reno & kitchen splashbacks with a 10 yr guarantee. Bit expensive, tho. Was around $100 sq m. But with little time it was the way to go for us.
Sorry, no pics. But you must check out their site, they have a range of something like 600 colours too !

KANGA;)

$100sqm???

Tiling costs less than a third of that (at the expensive end). And I can grab you a new bath for $139...

Jas

G'Day Guys,

for the chips in the bath, get down to your local plumbers supply, they sell a chip repair kit but only available in a few colours, (white and almond ivory definately).
last time I bought one, cost about $20.
it's a 2 part mix and if applied carefully with a bit of patience is practically unnoticeable when dry.

Brenda, have you tried White Lilly powder, I have found this stuff shines up anything.

regards

Hi Brenda,

I recycled and old bath tub in a bathroom reno which was perfectly ok and just dull. I got an electric drill with a lambwool buffer and used some auto buffing compound. It came up like new

Hi Cosmo,

great idea... :)

Jas, in terms of replacing a bath tub, it is cheap like you said BUT if you do replace it, you then have to replace wall tiles, may need to re-do the base, etc... just opens up a new can of worms, that's why I like the paint, u just do it & forget... if u have time in your hands, replacing the tub is a better alternative (especially if u have spare wall tiles, etc...)

Cheers,

MannyB.

If the chips are bad I'd recommen re-enamelling

It comes up like new (well it IS new!) and OK.. yes is the cost of a new metal bath (about £200 which I think is about $450?), but as you say it sure puts the lid on a whole new can of worms in removing the old one.

At the end of the day it depends what type of finish your buyers are expecting, if it's a first time buyer house and the chips are in the middle of the bottom of a bath, just put a bath mat in the bath complete with rubber duck and hide it.

I haven't seen the home applied chip repair kit but whilst it may suit the home user, if it any way shows a difference in colour your buyer will notice it and wonder what else you've tried to cover up.

I think at the end of the day though it all depends on where the chips are and the level of quality you are trying to achieve.

Bit off topic but I have found that car polish - the cutting type of compound works a treat on whitegoods as well. Brings them back to new.

Cheers,

Back